Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Children sharing bedrooms?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 9:48 am
We are IY"H moving into a house this summer and I am figuring out how to set up the bedrooms.

The house has three bedrooms. Plus, I plan to convert one of the living areas into a bedroom. (It needs a door and closet.) So that's four bedrooms total.

We have K"H:

daughter (9th grade)
son (7th grade)
daughter (3rd grade)
son (1st grade)

The oldest is used to having her own room and bathroom. She'll be sharing a bathroom in the new house, but I think she needs her own room.

So that leaves the other three. My preteen son seems too old to share with his little brother. The younger two usually play together since they are close in age, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea for a boy and girl to share a room.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jul 29 2019, 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 9:56 am
I only have boys. My oldest and youngest share a room. 17 and age 7 and it's a great set up. They really don't mind each other at all. Playtime doesn't take place in the bedrooms anyway, so as far as sleeping goes it works. If I had the option I'd put the boys together rather than the yougest girl and boy together. Before you turn around they will be getting older and your daughter won't want to sleep with her brother anymore.

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:00 am
Why don't you like idea of them sharing a room? If a rov says it's ok and they work out well together I wouldnt hesitate. By the time 1st grade ds gets too old he'll sleep w preteen son who may be out of house already...

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
Why don't you like idea of them sharing a room? If a rov says it's ok and they work out well together I wouldnt hesitate. By the time 1st grade ds gets too old he'll sleep w preteen son who may be out of house already...

I just think girls become more needy as to wanting their own room, or sleep with just girls etc. This also allows for sleepover friends etc. But if your daughter doesn't care , than I'm sure it's fine.

Neshamah770

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:07 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I just think girls become more needy as to wanting their own room, or sleep with just girls etc. This also allows for sleepover friends etc. But if your daughter doesn't care , than I'm sure it's fine.

Right, that's the issue -- she is very private and a girly girl, so I feel that she needs her own space. I hadn't thought about sleepovers (G-d willing she will make some good friends when we move), but that's another reason it's probably best for her to have have own room.

Last edited by Neshamah770 on Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total

Neshamah770

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:09 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I only have boys. My oldest and youngest share a room. 17 and age 7 and it's a great set up. They really don't mind each other at all. Playtime doesn't take place in the bedrooms anyway, so as far as sleeping goes it works. If I had the option I'd put the boys together rather than the yougest girl and boy together. Before you turn around they will be getting older and your daughter won't want to sleep with her brother anymore.

My older son is really into building legos and other creations while laying on the floor. And he likes to have friends over. They often lock the door and don't let my younger son into the room. So that's partly why I have mixed feelings about them sharing in the new house.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:14 am
I would put the boys together. If its a big room, make a division in some way so they each have their own space.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:42 am
I wouldn't put your daughter and son together in one bedroom. It would not likely work out well in the long run even though it might be fine for now - and it will probably be easier in the long run to set up the rooms now, when you move, rather than have to switch their rooms later.

I would put the boys together, and give each of the girls their own room.

pause

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 10:55 am
Boys use their bedroom less than girls whether it's dressing, playing, learning, or simply chilling. Overall they're home less than girls anyway, so I'd definitely have the boys share and give the girls each their own.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 12:44 pm
I wouldn't have the boy and girl share simply because the girl is already 8, she will grow up very fast. By the time they get used to sharing the bedroom, she'll be nearing adolescence. Let the same-gender kids get used to sharing and work out the conflicts the way most people do. When I grew up, kids having their own bedroom was practically unheard of.

WhatFor

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 1:14 pm
Easy. You take the rabbit across the river and return for the fox and the cabbage. Then you leave the cabbage, take the fox....

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I know you have a real life scenario but this question kept reminding me of that riddle....

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 1:39 pm
Boys room and girls room. There's nothing to ask a rov. Even if you want to do big room and small room, or everyone in the same room.

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 2:00 pm
seeker wrote:
I wouldn't have the boy and girl share simply because the girl is already 8, she will grow up very fast. By the time they get used to sharing the bedroom, she'll be nearing adolescence. Let the same-gender kids get used to sharing and work out the conflicts the way most people do. When I grew up, kids having their own bedroom was practically unheard of.

Assuming the oldest girl leaves for college or seminary after high school, the younger kids can have their own rooms by time the younger girl reaches puberty.

Its a tough call because of the age differences, but I'd put the younger two together for the time being, but let all of the kids know that its subject to change.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 16 2018, 2:05 pm
If the rooms are large, I’d do one boys, one girls. Because of the age difference and position within the family, this often works. (1st & 3rd, 2nd & 4th)
It they’re smaller, the largest for boys, one for each girl.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics