Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Does anyone have their child on mood stabilizers?
Previous  1  2

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:43 am
amother wrote:
As someone who was put on a cocktail of medications from a young age because of emotional problems(resulting not from a "chemical imbalance")this thread makes me so sad. I thought I had everything bipolar/depression/anxiety you name it depending on the doctor. All I'm going to say is make sure your kid has a good therapist before adding more drugs to their life. These drugs are serious with serious side effects and once they are on them it's difficult to get off regardless if needed or not.

I'm now married on nothing but vitamins and Bh happy and healthy. Drugs can help, but they should be a last option solution not the first.

P.S. For the record, real bipolar disorder doesn't generally show up until the 20's similar to schizophrenia.

I am holding back- specifically because of not wanting her on a cocktail of drugs and not being sure these drugs are the right action on her behalf. She has a wonderful therapist who is making real inroads in her life. The psychiatrist and the therapist work for the same organization and they are able to communicate on a frequent basis.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
I am holding back- specifically because of not wanting her on a cocktail of drugs and not being sure these drugs are the right action on her behalf. She has a wonderful therapist who is making real inroads in her life. The psychiatrist and the therapist work for the same organization and they are able to communicate on a frequent basis.

Abilify is very hard to get from insurance before 15
Not very many choices.................
Lamictol and Depakote are good.

Ii dont kniw why ppl r afraid of stabilizer. Dr said that teens being on ssri witout stabilzer can cuz suicidal thoughts

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 11:38 am
amother wrote:
Abilify is very hard to get from insurance before 15
Not very many choices.................
Lamictol and Depakote are good.

Ii dont kniw why ppl r afraid of stabilizer. Dr said that teens being on ssri witout stabilzer can cuz suicidal thoughts

Lamictal can carry nasty side effects if I recall, including weight gain. First year I was on it had terrible acid reflux-you would have thought I had morning sickness!

I was also on depakote and abilify at one point or another. Can't remember side effects, it's been many years.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 11:43 am
amother wrote:

I appreciate where you're coming from- I'm just very weary of most psychiatrists at this point. We all try to do what is best for children... I think it's entirely possible a lot of these behaviors teens today get put on drugs for are normal(yes incredibly difficult and unpleasant) growing pangs for teenagers. Just my two cents. Hatzlocha!

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
I appreciate where you're coming from- I'm just very weary of most psychiatrists at this point. We all try to do what is best for children...Ju I think it's entirely possible a lot of these behaviors teens today get put on drugs for are normal(yes incredibly difficult and unpleasant) growing pangs for teenagers. Just my two cents. Hatzlocha!

I agree. Ds went through a rough period after mono, and everyone recommended we put him on anti-depressants - interestingly enough, our psychiatrist was really against putting teens on anti-depressants (most anti-depressants nowadays are SSRI's, AFAIK). At the time I was annoyed - I wanted ds fixed! But looking back, I'm grateful that the doctor didn't just throw meds without trying alternatives.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 1:00 pm
amother wrote:
I appreciate where you're coming from- I'm just very weary of most psychiatrists at this point. We all try to do what is best for children... I think it's entirely possible a lot of these behaviors teens today get put on drugs for are normal(yes incredibly difficult and unpleasant) growing pangs for teenagers. Just my two cents. Hatzlocha!

Thank you. Just putting out there that this child is
11. She has been exhibiting disturbing behaviors since she was a toddler. I did not rush into treatment. She first began seeing a therapist last year at the request of her school. I fired the first therapist because I felt she was pushing an inappropriate diagnosis. We started with wnothernazing therapist shortly afterward who eventually suggested that we should see a psychiatrist. I am present for every med check appointment, giving my input and offering suggestions. No one is just going to hand out medication to my daughter without me and her father being okay with it. Not even our psychiatrist. I have not ruled out getting a second opinion either.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)