Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Classroom discipline help

amother
Red

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 7:24 am
I am cove someone's maternity leave in a regular Ed class. I am a special Ed teacher with minimal regular Ed experience but many years in the classroom. The teacher who I am taking over for runs a pretty heimish classroom and the girls are very unruly.
Most of the strategies I have used for small group are much harder to implement in a class of 30. There is also the challenge that I don't even know most of the students by name, much less their individual needs.
Looking for ideas, emergency measures to get the class under control.
So far the system I have used of one warning, 2nd offense writing assignment, 3rd principal does not seem to be affective enough.
How would you do an individualized chart with so many kids without that taking over the whole class time?
Is a classroom wide plan to way to go? Looking for ideas and suggestions.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 8:20 am
What age are they. Your better with an incentive than negative consequence.
Table points first table to 10 gets prizes
Class marble jar when its full popcorn party
If they are older give each child a (laminated )card with a grid of 10/12 squares. They keep it on corner of desk. You give out stickers or a stamp and when ita full a prize. Nachas note home when halfway full maybe.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 8:28 am
Being a substitute is awful. Please lower your expectations. I heard someone say being a substitute makes you become a sonei yisroel. Children feel you aren't a person and aren't deserving of basic human respect. Maybe what I've written has made you angry and you'll walk into the classroom with the anger. It'll make you tougher and indifferent which the students will interpret as "I mean business"! That can help...
Hatzlocha and don't let it get to u!!

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 9:52 am
These reward and punishment tactics communicate an unspoken but very clear message: I have no authority and low expectations but I hope I can manipulate you into not making my life miserable. Instead, you need to work the expectations and motivation into your actual teaching. You can be firm and fun at the same time. Consequences, both positive and negative, should be built into the lessons rather than using points.

Example: If you focus really hard on your math/reading/spelling, then we'll have time to play a game before lunch/recess/dismissal.

Example: I'm going to let you do this exercise with a friend, but if I see the work isn't getting done then we'll have to go back to independent work.

Inject your self into the lessons rather than just reading off what the teacher gave you. This will help them see you as an individual teacher and will give you a chance to earn their respect if your lessons are good. Nobody's really interested in listening to a sub teach lessons that she isn't invested in.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:18 pm
Full disclosure - I am not a teacher, but I thought the following ideas for remembering their names might work:
- Take a paper and create a grid and put in their names to correspond with where they sit. Keep this paper on your desk, so that you can reference this paper whenever you forget their names.
- Have them keep foldable tent-like name place tags on their desks. Depending on their age you may consider having them decorate them.

ssspectacular

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 6:24 pm
It's really important to learn their. Names.

wife2

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 6:41 pm
I have a lot to say but the number one most important role is carrying out consequences. You MUST be consistent
Do not give in or be nice. Save a game for the end of class or start with one but they lose privilege and need to do worksheets if they misbehave.
There are so many examples I have on a regular basis. But be firm and don't give endless warnings or beg.

Age is a huge factor here. I can give specific ideas if I know age

amother
Red

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:00 pm
It's 4th graders.
The challenge with names is that it's a lot of kids. And they are leveled so I have one group from 12:30-1:15, one from 1:15-2 and one from 2:15-3:30.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:12 pm
Interesting, I've never heard of 4th grade being split into such short shifts. Sounds more like junior high! What subject is this?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:30 pm
The classes are split by level for math and English. Then the last period is science/ social studies which is split by morning homeroom .

imasinger

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:59 pm
You absolutely must learn their names! And preferably something about how they tick, both individually, and as a group.

Is there another teacher that will sit down with you and share?

Can you make a seating chart for each group, and keep it where you can refer to it?

Can you plan some games/activities that will help you learn their names? For example, if they are learning about different countries, could you do a game where they have to come up with a country that starts with the same letter as their name, then present three facts about it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics