Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Why can't defrosted chicken, fish etc be refrozen?

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:33 am
If it stayed cold. One of my kids left my freezer open for a few hours and some of it defrosted. What changes if chicken cutlets or salmon fillets just refreeze? To cook it all today, I need to cancel some of my day.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 10:52 am
Do not refreeze any raw chicken or fish left that was left outside the refrigerator longer than 2 hours.
If you defrost on the counter, the bacteria multiplies during the thawing process. If you cook that right away at high at high enough heat, then the heat will kill the bacteria. But if you freeze it again after it already thawed, you basically store the extra bacteria that accumulated, and it will start growing again next time you defrost it. The risk is too high for food poisoning, even if you cook it at high heat at that point.

animeme

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:03 am
It wasn't left out. It was in a freezer that went down in temperature enough in the front to be like a very cold fridge.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:04 am
It wasn't left out. It was in a freezer that went down in temperature enough in the front to be like a very cold fridge.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:07 am
I would refreeze! I've done it in the past and nothing happens

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:09 am
USDA which is the expert says you can absolutely refreeze if it was in the fridge the entire time.

studying_torah

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:11 am
Is it ok to defrost,cook and then refreeze the food?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:39 am
studying_torah wrote:
Is it ok to defrost,cook and then refreeze the food?

Yes.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:41 am
amother wrote:

If it stayed under 35 degrees then it's ok according to the USDA, though texture may change a little.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 11:44 am
It's safe to refreeze - it just makes the quality of the meat worse so you might want to use the chicken for a dish that is more forgiving than sautéed breasts.

Personally I would cook the salmon - try poaching it because it's more forgiving and gives a moister result. I love cold chilled salmon with a tasty sauce on the side. Or you can make a lovely salmon salad with some of it.

Fish would still be safe but it's more "delicate" than other meats so even freezing fish produces an unsatisfactory result as compared to fresh fish so I would definitely not want to refreeze fish. It would be safe to eat but not produce a good result especially since salmon is a relatively expensive protein so I would not want to have a mediocre result.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:14 pm
It's safe as long as it hasn't spent time in the "danger zone" temperatures (basically anywhere between fridge and cooked) but the quality may sufer
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen