Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Child care subsidy
1  2  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 12:54 pm
Anyone have experience with this?

pesek zman

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:05 pm
Like a tax deduction?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:20 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Like a tax deduction?

No. It seems like if both spouses are working, and you qualify for it, you can get a subsidy from the government to pay for child care. There are a lot of hoops and paperwork I'm a little wary of, but I'm pretty desperate so willing to try. I was wondering if anyone has experience.

See this link: https://ocfs.ny.gov/main/child.....m.asp

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:40 pm
its a lot more popular then op thinks. many people file for this.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:42 pm
amother wrote:
its a lot more popular then op thinks. many people file for this.

Really? Please please can you give me info? The lady I spoke to from the gov office made the process sound extremely intimidating (she said they have an "investigative unit" to look into all the workplaces and work arrangements, and made it sound like we basically have to give them info on every area of our lives)

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:45 pm
They have this in Lakewood I think this is called CHS here. They hate to give give it, though, and you basically have to twist their arm to get it, but it's the law, so they have no choice.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:47 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
They have this in Lakewood I think this is called CHS here. They hate to give give it, though, and you basically have to twist their arm to get it, but it's the law, so they have no choice.

Thank you, that's helpful to know. Do you have any more info for me about getting it?

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you, that's helpful to know. Do you have any more info for me about getting it?

If you are in Lakewood, you can call the LRRC, they usually have information about government programs. Even if you are not in Lakewood, you can try to call them, maybe they can help you with information 732-942-9292.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 2:01 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
If you are in Lakewood, you can call the LRRC, they usually have information about government programs. Even if you are not in Lakewood, you can try to call them, maybe they can help you with information 732-942-9292.

I'm in NY Sad

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in NY Sad

I apologize , I didn't follow your link. Are there organizations in New York you can call?

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 2:09 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I apologize , I didn't follow your link. Are there organizations in New York you can call?

The Jewish social services organizations I've come across here haven't been too helpful with this type of thing IME. I'm in the Rockland County area.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:13 pm
I'm in NY, not NYC. I tried applying but because my job is somewhat flexible and part time she asked me why I don't work at night when my husband can do child care. It was a matter of bringing in pay stubs etc filling in forms and going for an interview.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:18 pm
amother wrote:
I'm in NY, not NYC. I tried applying but because my job is somewhat flexible and part time she asked me why I don't work at night when my husband can do child care. It was a matter of bringing in pay stubs etc filling in forms and going for an interview.

What did you answer?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
What did you answer?

I didn't end up submitting the application. Because I worked part time it wouldn't have been a lot plus she was giving me a hard time.
Is your daycare or babysitter legal/on the books? That's important if you do get it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't end up submitting the application. Because I worked part time it wouldn't have been a lot plus she was giving me a hard time.
Is your daycare or babysitter legal/on the books? That's important if you do get it.

I found some local providers that are licensed.

I work 12-18 hours a week and my husband works about 20. But we work at the same time. Lots of times I can't get my work done during the day because I'm busy with my LO, and I end up making it up at night. But the work does need to get done during the day. My job is suffering because I can't afford child care.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:43 pm
amother wrote:
I found some local providers that are licensed.

I work 12-18 hours a week and my husband works about 20. But we work at the same time. Lots of times I can't get my work done during the day because I'm busy with my LO, and I end up making it up at night. But the work does need to get done during the day. My job is suffering because I can't afford child care.

If your job hours aren't flexible than they might approve you. It's worth try!

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
If your job hours aren't flexible than they might approve you. It's worth try!

Thanks!

How invasive are they when "investigating", as the lady I spoke to put it?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:52 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks!

How invasive are they when "investigating", as the lady I spoke to put it?

All I did was come for an interview. They didn't do any investigating. I'm not sure what would have happened if I had continued with the process though.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:

How did she give you a hard time?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:02 pm
amother wrote:
How did she give you a hard time?

I work about ten hours a week and she was pushing me to work at night when my husband could do child care. She didn't say I definitely wouldn't be approved but she gave me a hard time so I decided not to submit the application.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics