Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
School I Taught in Owes me $$$$
1  2  3  Next

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:34 pm
Hi,
I am owed thousands of dollars by a school that I taught in two years ago. While I was there I had to continuously beg and plead for my paycheck and was always told that there is no money and that they are "working on it."

I let it ride because I didn't have the energy or resources to fight and I was hopeful that eventually I will see my money. So far the day has not come. I am aware that the school is struggling financially. But the way I see it is that I was hired, was given a contract with my salary and I've done my part but they did not do theirs. I did not sign up to volunteer my time.

My question is, is there anything for me to do at this point to see my money back? Calling, reminding, emailing has not worked. I am not interested in dragging them to court simply because I have no extra time or energy on my hands. I simply would like to see the money I deserve. But I am at a loss at how I go about "forcing" them to pay me. Any ideas, suggestions I'd greatly appreciate.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:41 pm
honestly I feel for you. hugs to feeling so unappreciated. and its 2 years way too long. hugs to you. ((((())))).

there is nothing else then what you have been doing. I dont think you wanna go to court. your a frum yid and we dont do these things. just keep badgering them and running after them they will see they cant get away with it. they dont have money or they would give it to you. they are not doing it intentional. I do think if you run after them long enough they will give you something. they wont be able to ignore your calls for too long. but do it daily. not just once a month do it constantly. that will give them the message. that has worked for me in the past.

I probably would not take another job there again. thats for sure.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:42 pm
You can threaten to report them if you are not paid with x period of time. I would write a letter detailing exactly how much you are owed and send it certified or registered mail.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:46 pm
amother wrote:
honestly I feel for you. hugs to feeling so unappreciated. and its 2 years way too long. hugs to you. ((((())))).

there is nothing else then what you have been doing. I dont think you wanna go to court. your a frum yid and we dont do these things. just keep badgering them and running after them they will see they cant get away with it. they dont have money or they would give it to you. they are not doing it intentional. I do think if you run after them long enough they will give you something. they wont be able to ignore your calls for too long. but do it daily. not just once a month do it constantly. that will give them the message. that has worked for me in the past.

I probably would not take another job there again. thats for sure.

Thanks for the validation!
I am done badgering, and running after them. I am. simply. done. All the reasons you listed is the reasons (read:excuses) they are giving. I feel like if you hire someone, you need to have the wherewithal to pay. It's very simple. Badgering has not helped until now.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:48 pm
What they are doing is illegal - you can report to the government or at least threaten to do so.

I had to do it once years ago when I was working as a temp. It was only a day's pay but it was the principle of the thing.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:50 pm
Amarante wrote:
You can threaten to report them if you are not paid with x period of time. I would write a letter detailing exactly how much you are owed and send it certified or registered mail.

This may be a good idea. But I need to be prepared to follow up in case they don't respond, and decide that I would "never really do it.." So how would I go about reporting them in the event I don't receive the $?

Also the way I know them, they'll contact me and try to appease me with a tiny fraction of the $ they owe, and tell me that they are "working on it" and that they feel really bad but there's been this crisis & that crisis and that some parents are not paying tuition..

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:52 pm
This might be helpful. It's a government agency so you don't need a lawyer. When I did it, it was pretty straightforward as I recall.

For maximum impact, your letter should state that you will report them to the specific government agency unless you receive full payment within 10 business days.

https://employment.findlaw.com......html

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:53 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for the validation!
I am done badgering, and running after them. I am. simply. done. All the reasons you listed is the reasons (read:excuses) they are giving. I feel like if you hire someone, you need to have the wherewithal to pay. It's very simple. Badgering has not helped until now.

If you are done badgering and not going to take them to court, how do you think you will get paid, and why would they pay you?

You can go to BD and get permission to go to court.

You can go to their big donors or the board and tell them you need the money.

Perhaps you could take this as masser money going forward.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 4:58 pm
You should say kaddish on the money. Does part of the school name start with an (letter removed by me to prevent LH)? if yes, you will never see the money even if you try bringing them to Bais Din.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:00 pm
Squishy wrote:
If you are done badgering and not going to take them to court, how do you think you will get paid, and why would they pay you?

You can go to BD and get permission to go to court.

You can go to their big donors or the board and tell them you need the money.

Perhaps you could take this as masser money going forward.

That's the very reason I posted. I am looking for an alternate way to "force" them to pay. Because I am not simply going to chase my tail and get the same response over and over again. That's insanity.

UnFarvosNischt

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:04 pm
Ask them to pay you in payments, maybe it will help?

I feel for you, I had something similar with a frum yid which I kept calling to remind him that I needed my money but he always had an excuse!
One day he even had the chutzpa to tell me that "I need to accept my nisyonos with love"!!!
I told him "Excuse me but you don't know what my real nisyonos are and you shouldn't create me nisyonos either!"...
Bh I got paid a few months after.

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:05 pm
amother wrote:
You should say kaddish on the money. Does part of the school name start with an M? if yes, you will never see the money even if you try bringing them to Bais Din.

BD have no enforcement powers. That's why she needs to get permission to go to court.

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:08 pm
amother wrote:
That's the very reason I posted. I am looking for an alternate way to "force" them to pay. Because I am not simply going to chase my tail and get the same response over and over again. That's insanity.

I don't know how it works with schools, but when a regular frum yid owes you money, you can collect the money from someone who owes that frum yid.

You may be able to have parents pay you their tuition directly. Please check and see if this is permitted for schools.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:08 pm
Amarante wrote:
This might be helpful. It's a government agency so you don't need a lawyer. When I did it, it was pretty straightforward as I recall.

For maximum impact, your letter should state that you will report them to the specific government agency unless you receive full payment within 10 business days.

https://employment.findlaw.com......html

Thanks amarante. From what I see here, I would file a complaint and they would investigate.
So would you suggest I write a letter stating that if by ____ I do not receive full payment than I will report to the Department of Labor & Wage Division?

goforit

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:13 pm
Squishy wrote:
BD have no enforcement powers. That's why she needs to get permission to go to court.

If both sides come to beis din and sign the "shiturien brieian" that they will agree to the ruling u bet they can enforce it in court!

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:14 pm
goforit wrote:
If both sides come to beis din and sign the "shiturien brieian" that they will agree to the ruling u bet they can enforce it in court!

Yes, you need court. BD can't get you money without it.

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks amarante. From what I see here, I would file a complaint and they would investigate.
So would you suggest I write a letter stating that if by ____ I do not receive full payment than I will report to the Department of Labor & Wage Division?

Yes - that is what I would suggest.

I would make it as official sounding as possible.

You can then decide what to do - If you then don't want to report them, then take all the paperwork to BD for a dispensation.

I don't understand why people are allowed to knowing cheat and steal and then hide under religion personally. Here you are being exploited knowingly.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 17 2018, 5:30 pm
It does not cost money to go to small claims court.
Another idea:
You can have a lawyer send them a notice of intent to sue if payment is not received by a certain date. I'd offer to accept monthly payments.

Iymnok

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 2:54 am
amother wrote:
It does not cost money to go to small claims court.
Another idea:
You can have a lawyer send them a notice of intent to sue if payment is not received by a certain date. I'd offer to accept monthly payments.

But put in a clause for late payments.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 3:03 am
I had a similar situation -
do your hishtadlut (call, email, write a letter, etc.) and DAVEN. Maybe also say bli neder you'll give a certain amount of it to tzdaka.
(I did get my paycheck in the end Smile)
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics