Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
School I Taught in Owes me $$$$
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 3:21 am
I taught in a school for one year, and they didn't pay me. I sent DH to collect my money. It took one meeting and monthly checks were arranged.

Unfortunately, these men don't respect women. It was not possible for them to fub off DH.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 6:10 am
goforit wrote:
If both sides come to beis din and sign the "shiturien brieian" that they will agree to the ruling u bet they can enforce it in court!

The beis din’s arbitration agreement is only recognized by courts in the NY state court system. And even then, you have to pay an official legal translator to translate it and submit it, as well as the psak. And thats assuming bd paskins in your favor. It is not cheap. And even then, beis din’s psak on financial matters is not recognized in civil court.

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 6:40 am
When a school owed me money and was procrastinating on paying I went to the big boss on top of the board and pleased my case and got a check pretty fast.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:14 am
watergirl wrote:
And even then, beis din’s psak on financial matters is not recognized in civil court.

Is this true? I thought that courts are willing to accept and enforce the results of binding arbitration submitted to by both parties, which is what BD is? I know that may not apply to custody/visitation issues, but why should a straightforward financial Din Torah not be recognized by the courts?

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:20 am
doctorima wrote:
Is this true? I thought that courts are willing to accept and enforce the results of binding arbitration submitted to by both parties, which is what BD is? I know that may not apply to custody/visitation issues, but why should a straightforward financial Din Torah not be recognized by the courts?

They dont have to. They CAN if they want to. But even in NY, the judge can refuse to honor the psak if he/she feels its totally inappropriate. I know this for a fact based on personal experince with it.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:24 am
Hi, OP here.
After seeing the responses I feel like giving up on seeing my money. I don't have energy to fight anymore.

The only thing I'm considering is sending them a letter threatening to report. But I don't know if I will or even should follow through in the event they don't respond, or respond with a fraction of payment.

I really feel that it is an injustice on their end, but maybe for my sanity I should just say goodbye.

das

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:28 am
Why dont you find out what works for this particular school? Surely you're not the first one to have been denied payment.

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:29 am
watergirl wrote:
They dont have to. They CAN if they want to. But even in NY, the judge can refuse to honor the psak if he/she feels its totally inappropriate. I know this for a fact based on personal experince with it.

The BD must follow NYS law. If that don't, that's grounds to set it aside. I don't know any other grounds. Courts give great deference to BD.

I don't know what "totally inappropriate" could mean other than unlawful.

Consult an attorney as this isn't legal advice.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:39 am
Squishy wrote:
The BD must follow NYS law. If that don't, that's grounds to set it aside. I don't know any other grounds. Courts give great deference to BD.

I don't know what "totally inappropriate" could mean other than unlawful.

Consult an attorney as this isn't legal advice.

No they dont. They often dont follow nys law. Just ask any parent who gets an unlawful child support payment assigned to them. Or custody agreement. And many other examples. I know this from personal experince.

naomi1

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:40 am
Is it possible to go to a Rav that is connected to the school? Maybe there is some way they can help you.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
Hi, OP here.
After seeing the responses I feel like giving up on seeing my money. I don't have energy to fight anymore.

The only thing I'm considering is sending them a letter threatening to report. But I don't know if I will or even should follow through in the event they don't respond, or respond with a fraction of payment.

I really feel that it is an injustice on their end, but maybe for my sanity I should just say goodbye.

I have seen both schools and others in the frum community who view loans as gifts and who view employment as volunteerism. I think that anyone who wants to work for a school should have a contract signed in front of witnesses about what will happen in case of default, as well as when loaning money to a frum person, business, or organization. When there is no binding contract or agreement, it is easy to take advantage of someone.

goforit

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:44 am
Op a lot of times just sending a hasmunah (summons) to bd shakes them up. Its like $30 and worth a shot and just a phone call.

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 3:01 pm
This is awful. Doesn't it say in the Torah that is it forbidden to withhold wages from a worker? I am horrified.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 3:23 pm
das wrote:
Why dont you find out what works for this particular school? Surely you're not the first one to have been denied payment.

At the time I was single, and the married women they do pay eventually.
The other single teachers I've spoken to each went through their own hell getting their money or just gave up on it. One teacher bought in her father, who is very influential, and whom the admin was intimidated by, and she got all that was owed.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 3:24 pm
goforit wrote:
Op a lot of times just sending a hasmunah (summons) to bd shakes them up. Its like $30 and worth a shot and just a phone call.

How do you go about doing that?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
This is awful. Doesn't it say in the Torah that is it forbidden to withhold wages from a worker? I am horrified.

Agreed. It's awful that it is still happening and that teachers unknowingly get hired, and never get paid.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 3:27 pm
Ahhh and now we see why its not ok to pay based on stage of life. A million threads about this.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 4:10 pm
I know of schools that allow teachers to pair up with parents and their child's tuition goes directly to them as wages.
Maybe you can work something out like that?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:48 pm
Are you in NYC? We have strict laws about payment

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/dca/......page

amother
Gold

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 12:44 am
doodlesmom wrote:
I know of schools that allow teachers to pair up with parents and their child's tuition goes directly to them as wages.
Maybe you can work something out like that?

shock

How could that be legal? And why would anyone agree to it?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics