Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many sqft is your house? Are you happy with size?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 7:54 am
How many sqft is your house and do you find it spacious, small or just fine.

I grew up in an 1800 sqft ranch with a full basement and I always thought my house was small. When I started looking at houses I wanted at least 2000 sqft. There is a house now that I am seriously considering only its 1800 sqft. It has an attic with one bedroom, 4 bedrooms on the bedroom floor. Living room/dining room kitchen and a very small playroom on the main floor and a half unfinished basement.

I cant take a house with the intention of putting on an addition later because that is never going to happen.

I feel like a a colonial will seem more spacious than a ranch because its spread over two floors. This house is very dreary and needs more lights put in so its hard to see now what it will look once its fixed up a little and more lights are put in.

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 7:59 am
I lived for 7 years in a small apt maybe 1000 sq ft. When we left I had 4 kids. We moved to a 3000 sq ft house and guess what?! I hate that its so big. There's so much to clean, stuff gets spread out over such a big area. And I have 4 hours of cleaning help a week. Its just too much. Can't wait to downsize Smile. Good luck on your decision, hope my perspective gives you some food for thought.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:00 am
We were in a 1000 sqt ft apartment with 3 small kids and it was okay. The one bathroom and lack of basement and back yard were killing me. We are under contract for a 1400 sq ft house that has a full basement and a large back yard and three bathrooms. I think it will be great if we can ever close ugh. I think alot of it depends on lifestyle. I work my kids are mostly in school and when its over 50 degrees they love being outside.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 8:03 am
We're looking right now and I davka don't want anything bigger than 2000 sq ft. More than that is just too much for me to take care of (even though I have daily cleaning help).

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
I lived for 7 years in a small apt maybe 1000 sq ft. When we left I had 4 kids.

Most dream of this Smile
I'm in around, kah, 100 square meters. Love it defeinitely unneeded.

simcha2

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:23 am
I think the layout of the house matters more than the total square footage.

I've been in houses that are so well designed and use the space so well that they seem much bigger than they really are, are vice versa.

Maybe think about what you need in terms of bedrooms, living space etc and if it accommodates that I wouldn't worry about the actual number in terms of space.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:24 am
We live in a 600 square foot apartment. Some times we are on too of each other but most times I'm thrilled how easy it is to maintain!

amother
Royalblue

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:49 am
I live in 2800 SQ foot house. It's a 2 family that we converted. It's not too big to keep clean. We have a big dining room on one side and a living room/playroom on the other. The living room gets messy all the time with books/ papers/toys but that has nothing to do with size. We're just not on top of it as much as we should be.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:50 am
It sounds like a lot of living space for 1800 sq ft. It must be designed well. I don’t think you should think so much about the square footage- if you have enough bedrooms, bathrooms, a yard then go for it!

I think my house is 3500 sq ft- very hard to keep clean

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:00 am
It depends on the layout. My house is just under 1800 sq ft. I have four (very tiny) bedrooms, 2.5 baths. The kitchen is a good size and so is the dining room, the playroom is very tiny, and we're starting to outgrow it b"H. We put in a lot of smart storage so it's manageable. We do have an unfinished attic and garage for storage, which makes a huge difference, and a big backyard. We plan on expanding sometime in the next few years be'ezras Hashem.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:00 am
The layout is more critical than just square footage.

Upkeep of a larger home isn't more difficult necessarily unless you are talking about cleaning a huge number of bathrooms.

It's actually much easier to clean large uncluttered spaces than it is to clean rooms that have lot of furniture packed in.

I would be concerned about things that impact your comfort and the functionality of the rooms. You can have a large kitchen that is so poorly laid out that you are trotting all around just to perform basic tasks versus a smaller well laid kitchen that maximizes storage.

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:05 am
My house is 1400 not counting the finished basement and its perfect for us. The living room could be a little bit bigger, but it’s really all we need. I was actually in a 4000 sq ft house today for a work thing, and I have no idea where they hid all the sq feet. Hallways mostly. Unusable space. Small eat in kitchen and living room. Like, SMALL. Layout matters!

Raw

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:12 am
4,000 sq ft, not including basement. I actually don’t find it hard to maintain or keep clean. My kids love having space and it’s nice to be able to host a crowd.
Cost of running is expensive so I’m mindful not to overheat or overcool.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:30 am
As voiced upper thread, layout is THE main thing. You can live in a house which is the size of a castle but with poor layout and bad storage it will always be messy and never organized.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:32 am
We moved from I think about 1200 sq ft to 2500 and it made a HUGE diff to my quality of life.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:49 am
amother wrote:
We moved from I think about 1200 sq ft to 2500 and it made a HUGE diff to my quality of life.

Ditto.

But also ita about layout, it's very possible that a 2000 sq ft house would feel more spacious if the layout was better.

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:55 am
Ruchel wrote:
Most dream of this Smile
I'm in around, kah, 100 square meters. Love it defeinitely unneeded.

I think that’s only a bit more than 300 sq ft ... it’s small.. I’m trying to picture it. Do you have 2 small bedrooms and then a main room? Does it feel small to you or are you just used to it?

I guess with good shalom bayis and a positive attitude in life, it can work fine.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:55 am
We have 2200 sq ft and another 735 sq ft finished basement plus two car garage. I love the size of my house. It suits us perfectly. We came from a 1000 sq apartment.

simcha2

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
I think that’s only a bit more than 300 sq ft ... it’s small.. I’m trying to picture it. Do you have 2 small bedrooms and then a main room? Does it feel small to you or are you just used to it?

I guess with good shalom bayis and a positive attitude in life, it can work fine.

It's 900 square feet

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:

100 sq m is roughly 1075 sq ft. (The conversion factor squares too). But we have an apartment that's only 400 sq feet. One main room (combined living/dining) with a teeny tiny kitchen off of it and one small bedroom with the bathroom off of it. It's very tight and people have to walk through our bedroom to get to the only bathroom. I can't wait to move into a real house with more space!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics