Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How many sqft is your house? Are you happy with size?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 3:12 pm
3700 sq feet. Love it

Raisin

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 5:02 pm
I'm not actually sure. Its a typical 4 bedroom house which is usually about 2000 square feet but we converted the attic and previous owners built on some additional rooms downstairs. So its probably at least 2500 sq feet. The additional rooms all run into each other (designed to be a separate apartment) so they are not so useful. We can't use one as a bedroom since it would block off access to the next room.

I could really do with an additional bedroom since 2 of ours are tiny and only one person can sleep in them. And a bigger dining room/living area since we have so many guests and run out of space sometimes.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:07 pm
We have 1700 square feet, but that's not counting the finished basement, which has lots of light, and gives us an additional 600-700 square feet, and the double garage, which is 450 square feet of storage. The kitchen and dining room are just a bit too small, which is annoying. I would have taken this space and laid things out much better, but at the time our house was built (1980s), big kitchens weren't in vogue and apparently people didn't invite large numbers of people to eat.

A couple down our street own the same model house. They have no kids but nevertheless added on a whole big extension to the house and did tons of remodeling just so they could invite over all their relatives for Thanksgiving.

Last edited by JoyInTheMorning on Thu, Apr 19 2018, 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Green

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 9:33 pm
I have 3000 square feet. not including basement. love having space!

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:03 pm
My house is a split ranch with 3200 square feet but I think smaller colonials feel bigger. We want to move.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:14 pm
I live in 5300 square feet (including basement) and it’s perfect size for me

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:40 pm
We have a 3 bedroom ranch 2 bath which is 1600 sq feet not including finished basement. We have 3 kids so there was sharing of a room for a while. Now the older of the two uses our den as the bedroom. I love our house but it’s not laid out in a way to allow hosting lots of people; only a few couples or a family at a time. I think I like my house so much because of that fact. Somehow my subconscious made the decision on the house because it knew hosting would be limited. The house is very cozy to me. Can you tell I’m a homebody introvert?

happyone

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 1:04 am
3600. Perfect bh.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 1:10 am
This thread is shock to me! Where I live, only incredibly wealthy people live in 3000 sqft! Most people have 1200-2500 sqft. This is in the center of a large, expensive city. We currently live in less than 1000 sqft with 6 kids ka''h. We are building an extension that will add another 1000 sqft and feel like that will be expansive!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 1:35 am
I live in a three level house of about 250 square metres.
It has 6 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. Great for hosting. But it's a bit too large for daily living. When houses are smaller, there is a cozier feeling.
We have a large-ish open space living room which is used mainly for parties and chagim. During the week we all gather in the tiny family room on the side. The living room is decorated and warm with rugs and art, etc, but it is empty.
My dream home has no stairs, all one level, with a bit less public space to foster a cozier feeling.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 2:05 am
700 square feet (65 square meters) with 2 kids, soon to be 4 kids. It could be a little bigger. We only have two bedrooms and I could do with a small office room that doubles up as a nursery. And our kitchen is the smallest kitchen ever - but I'm used to it. The hallway is a big waste of space although it makes the apartment feel more spacious. I'm please with how quick it is to clean and maintain.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:51 am
amother wrote:
I think that’s only a bit more than 300 sq ft ... it’s small.. I’m trying to picture it. Do you have 2 small bedrooms and then a main room? Does it feel small to you or are you just used to it?

I guess with good shalom bayis and a positive attitude in life, it can work fine.

If you mean me.
I told you it's big.
I have three bedrooms, one very big (too much), two normal. Then a nice sized living room, balcony, loggia, office... Why would you insist it is small? Why would you insist it feels small to me (unless you ae not talking to me because your message is so strange).

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:53 am
Having been in vacation in very very big places - it doesn't even make it easier. If a kid is clingy he'll be clingy in 200 square meters. If kids fight you'll hear them many times. If it's well insulated the small place can be much quieter, too, insulation matters a lot.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:00 am
amother wrote:
I think that’s only a bit more than 300 sq ft ... it’s small.. I’m trying to picture it. Do you have 2 small bedrooms and then a main room? Does it feel small to you or are you just used to it?

I guess with good shalom bayis and a positive attitude in life, it can work fine.

100 square meters is almost 1,100 SF.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:46 am
Ruchel wrote:
If you mean me.
I told you it's big.
I have three bedrooms, one very big (too much), two normal. Then a nice sized living room, balcony, loggia, office... Why would you insist it is small? Why would you insist it feels small to me (unless you ae not talking to me because your message is so strange).

3 bedrooms is fine with younger kids. As kids get older, some of them might really want their own room. Obviously this is not essential but I know one of my kids is just much happier sleeping on her own.

What is a loggia?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:01 am
I don't know any large family, religious or not, where kids have their own bedrooms except MAYBE in the middle of nowhere. It just isn't a thing to have more than 4 bedrooms, and even that is a hard find, so I doubt they would ask more than a pony or a unicorn. I am willing to bet my children will prefer this, to commuting hours for anything, if it was a choice we were willing to impose on my husband. LOL

Loggia is a covered balcony. A must, soo practical!

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:36 am
7500 sq ft. I have 2000 sq ft of storage. Love having the big public rooms for entertainment. I hated it at first. But now have grown to love my house.

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:44 am
Ruchel wrote:
Having been in vacation in very very big places - it doesn't even make it easier. If a kid is clingy he'll be clingy in 200 square meters. If kids fight you'll hear them many times. If it's well insulated the small place can be much quieter, too, insulation matters a lot.

Some of it depends on how the home is laid out, as others have said. Personally, I really would appreciate a third bedroom, even if it meant that each of the other rooms were a bit smaller. My apartment is pretty much the same size as yours, but again, only two bedrooms. In Europe you're more likely to find apartments with more small rooms (which is more practical for a large family) vs in America, where rooms tend to be more spacious, but you'll have less of them. Of course in large cities like NYC it's more similar to the European model.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 10:53 am
Ho do you calculate square feet? Is it the length times width times the number of floors or just length times width without multiplying the number of floors?

mommish613

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 11:18 am
1800 square feet- no basement. The house theoretically has everything we need- 4 bedrooms 3 bathrooms. LR/DR eat in kitchen, Playroom office plus garage BUT the rooms are SMALL with 5 kids kh including 2 teenagers, there is very little extra space. My older kids feel like they really need their own space (don't we all?). My daughter is constantly looking for a place to chat on the phone in peace and quiet. I do hope to one day in the soon future G-d willing do an extension or move to a bigger house.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics