Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
How will stores handle non customers' use of bathrooms?
Previous  1  2

rgr

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 1:47 pm
Fox wrote:

So black ppl have to settle for bad coffee?

Fox

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 2:47 pm
rgr wrote:
So black ppl have to settle for bad coffee?

Lol! @vibehi is telling them that if they're paying Starbucks' prices, they deserve to get thrown out for being stupid and spending their time with equally stupid white people. He urges them to make their own !@#$# coffee and put their money into mutual funds.

debsey

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:43 pm
Raisin wrote:
Starbucks (in my city, not in the usa) have a particularly strict bathroom policy. The bathroom has a code lock. When you buy something, you get a code on the receipt that you can open the bathroom with. So I would never go into a starbucks to use the bathroom, or ask to use it before buying something. But I would think its fine to wait there for a friend without buying anything.

BTW this policy is unique to starbucks...other cafes and pubs are much less strict about bathrooms.

Likewise. The Starbucks I used to frequent didn't care if you'd park yourself there all day with your laptop, ordering or not. But if you asked to use the bathroom, they'd want to see a receipt of a purchase. It's kind of an odd policy, most places are the opposite. They don't like you taking up tables unless you order, and they don't like you lingering too long, holding up a table, after a meal.

Miri7

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:56 pm
cookiecutter wrote:
This is not a response to your post (which I agree with) but your post made me think of this. There is a lot of stupidity in "white privilege" discussions. One is that being treated with common decency is not a privilege. It's a right. Painting it as a privilege conceptualizes all white people taints them with the original sin of being in the same "privileged" class, as opposed to describing what is really going on: white people have their rights violated less frequently. Of course, we should strive to violate everyone's rights less frequently, and in doing that, we might prioritize the rights of people who are more vulnerable to rights abuses. But merely being white does not make me Joe Arpaio.

Yes there is a lot of stupidity in discussions of privilege. I think what gets lost is that nobody asks to be privileged above other groups. But when I read a story like this I often think, “gee, that would NEVER happen to me.”

No one is bad for being privileged, but we should all think about what privileges we do have and what it would be like not not have them. Hopefully more people will do this and will do like you say - strive to violate everyone’s rights less frequently.

Discussions of privilege shouldn’t be about making people feel bad, but should be about how we can all be better in the way we treat one another.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics