Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Please please clue me in

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:29 pm
I'm so fashion clueless but I really like to fit in with the latest trends. I'm the type that figures out something is 'in' a year after people are wearing it, as I'm not observant, to put it mildly. Is there any simple way I could stay on top of fashion so I can dress me and my little kids in a way that we all fit in and look well dressed. Please be specific. Tia!!

HeartyAppetite

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:40 pm
Follow the stores and brands on Instagram. Then you will know exactly what’s getting lots of hype and what’s in.

OutATowner

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:42 pm
Or shop for the current season in stores that tend to be in style, but within your budget (says she who still cannot figure out the pom pom thing).

Last edited by OutATowner on Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 10:47 pm
I like shopping in stores like Zara which is always fun and trendy and affordable. What body type do you have? What styles generally look good on you?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:22 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Follow the stores and brands on Instagram. Then you will know exactly what’s getting lots of hype and what’s in.
Oops, op here, I forgot to mention that I don't do social media, (for various reasons)

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Apr 18 2018, 11:27 pm
amother wrote:
I like shopping in stores like Zara which is always fun and trendy and affordable. What body type do you have? What styles generally look good on you?
I'm so clueless, don't even know my body type, I'm small on top, I have big hips, then I'm small on the bottom..As to what I look good in, no specific thing comes to mind, I usually try on and just know if it looks good or not, no particular rhyme or reason that I took note of. I'm so unobservant, yipes!! What other stores besides for zaras?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 1:18 am
Black and white is the in thing this season.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 2:32 am
Not OP but my question is how do I know if things I bought 2-3 years ago are still stylish and wearable or completely outdated

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 4:40 am
Go to the popular Jewish stores in your neighborhood with a notepad ask questions which clothes are worn on shabbos write down what color they are. are they solid or print what is the pattern or design. Is the dress flairy pleated or straight. Shoes:What colors what shoe laces? Buckle? Ect when you get the same answer for 2-3 stores you got it

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 6:04 am
amother wrote:
Not OP but my question is how do I know if things I bought 2-3 years ago are still stylish and wearable or completely outdated

If something looks good on you and is was not super-faddish when you bought it, it is probably just fine to wear.

Do people really just throw out clothes after 2 years?

To make things easier: Buy more classic styles and update accessories.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:03 am
Other than zara, h and m is a good option. Honestly ive never worried about whats in fashion for me or the kods. Wach season everyone needs a cple new things and the rest is handed down. My teenagers new yt dresses (one each) came from a local store that updates each season....I dont buy amy brands at all. Looking "put together " via a necklace and the right color tights, a matching bow for the kids etc is more important imho than the current trends.

livinginflatbus

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:43 am
Classic pieces never go out of style; no need to throw out perfectly good articles of clothing. If you match it with nice accessories and cute shoes you’ll look great .

studying_torah

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:54 am
My problem is I really dislike what the local Jewish stores, zara and h&m sell and they don't fit me well.
So how do I not look dowdy & out of date?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 10:42 am
livinginflatbus wrote:
Classic pieces never go out of style; no need to throw out perfectly good articles of clothing. If you match it with nice accessories and cute shoes you’ll look great .

What type of clothing is considered classy that never goes out of style?

painting trees

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
I'm so clueless, don't even know my body type, I'm small on top, I have big hips, then I'm small on the bottom..As to what I look good in, no specific thing comes to mind, I usually try on and just know if it looks good or not, no particular rhyme or reason that I took note of. I'm so unobservant, yipes!! What other stores besides for zaras?

Based on your body shape I would suggest a flattering empire waist with a fit and flare cut.
There are customizable dresses for your measurements at eshakti.com for about 60$. A custom fit dress always looks good.

I buy my frum dresses from there by adding length to the hem and sleeves and choosing higher necklines, but they sell modern fashions as well.

I hope you find outfits that you feel comfortable and confident wearing.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 12:55 pm
OP, you forgot to mention what community you live in. That will make a huge difference.

I would suggest spending some time being observant, and really looking around you. Who do you think looks pulled together? Who's kids look adorable and neat on Shabbos?

Train your eyes to see your environment. Sit in the window of a cafe or pizza shop for a while and just watch everyone on the street as they come and go.

Do you have any friends who you admire? Ask them to be your personal shopper. Most women love to show off their styling abilities, and a day of shopping could be a lot of fun. If you have a friend with you to give you a reality check, then you can trust the sales ladies to be more honest and not just try to sell you stuff that's been sitting on the racks for too long.

If you have the budget for it, go to Nordstroms and sign up for a personal shopper. I have a friend who's been a professional consultant for Nordstroms for years, and she specializes in frum fashion, as well as conservative corporate fashion. She does children as well. (She's on the West coast, though.) What I'm saying, is that they have experience with women and kids who are Orthodox, and will be able to point you in the right direction.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 9:56 pm
Does anyone know of a good blog or instagram page for "Flatbush" in-style dressing? For adults, kids, etc? I know this sounds shallow lol

southernbubby

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 12:04 am
painting trees wrote:
Based on your body shape I would suggest a flattering empire waist with a fit and flare cut.
There are customizable dresses for your measurements at eshakti.com for about 60$. A custom fit dress always looks good.

I buy my frum dresses from there by adding length to the hem and sleeves and choosing higher necklines, but they sell modern fashions as well.

I hope you find outfits that you feel comfortable and confident wearing.

This is a really great suggestion!

I have seen articles about people who come to the woman's home and look through her closet and put together outfits from what the woman has and then shops for some pieces that will update or complete the look. I am not sure if they are under the category of organizers or personal shoppers but they can figure out what is still stylish, what can be changed to make it stylish or what is out of style.

In my community, crowd, group of friends, etc, we often wear clothes that are old enough to vote.

livinginflatbus

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 7:34 am
amother wrote:
Does anyone know of a good blog or instagram page for "Flatbush" in-style dressing? For adults, kids, etc? I know this sounds shallow lol

Forever young, Fallon’s place, junees , brooklynsouthwest, these are off the top of my head
And bitz of glitz sometimes pairs up outfits.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 8:05 am
amother wrote:

Adults:
Fameoncentral
Gallerycollection
Sheek (I don't remember the instagram name but the store is called sheek fashion or something)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics