Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I eat vlchf/p since May 2017. Ask me anything!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 3:27 pm
amother wrote:
thank you adnrea ,

I love fruit and any type of vegetables (roasted, raw, blendet, soups....)

I really like carbs Sad any type. also the healthy ones like whole wheat, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, brown rice -- I guess I would have to cancel this.

from meat / fish: only chicken, salmon, tuna and brisket Sad no pastrami, salami, cold cuts, lamb, duck, goose, other fish ... and I really only eat this on shabbos or yontev...during regular days I usually never eat this.

dairy: everything. I dont LOVE dairy, but I eat/drink any type.

how do you prepare deserts?
I wish I wouldnt have cravings so often.

I think avoiding fruit and sweet things would go a long way to help with cravings as does cutting out even healthy grains. You could totally do this with what you do eat though. Believe it or not, after a while you don’t care as much what you eat anyways. Food becomes fuel. Weird huh? Especially if you know my background professionally and as a foodie!

Chana Miriam S

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 3:29 pm
I just st want to say, I’m hapoy to help you guys. I can’t keep what I don’t give away. Also, a GREAT place to start is to download a free PDF at vinnietortorich.com. You do have to sign up but I set it for no mail and they respect that. No purxhase ever unless you want to consult with vinnie, which I’ve never done. There are also podcasts but they can be a bit tasteless.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 5:38 pm
Amother only because I am very interested and will probably discuss this irl. Thank you so much for sharing. I did go to the site you recommended (Vinnie). Is that the actual diet you are doing or is yours a variation on it? (only because you called it by different letters).

Also, if I simply eat only the things on his OK list, is that the diet, or do I need to count carbs as well, you know like in the veggies or whatever? (I guess I'm thinking of Atkins? How is this different from Atkins, or is it the same?)

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:17 pm
Do you mind sharing what you eat on a typical day ?

happy12

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 7:42 pm
I understand you are in it for health reasons. I'm just wondering if it is realistic to go on this diet for short term just to lose a little weight and change my body set point.
What happens when someone introduced limited carbs ,or fruit after they reach their goAl weight?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:

Please post your sample menu on a typical day.
I love low carb living, but with veggies how do you keep under 20g.
A sample menu would be helpful.
Both DH and I need to lose 50lbs.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 19 2018, 8:23 pm
Can you please post a daily menu? Greatly appreciated it!

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 12:25 pm
amother wrote:
Amother only because I am very interested and will probably discuss this irl. Thank you so much for sharing. I did go to the site you recommended (Vinnie). Is that the actual diet you are doing or is yours a variation on it? (only because you called it by different letters).

Also, if I simply eat only the things on his OK list, is that the diet, or do I need to count carbs as well, you know like in the veggies or whatever? (I guess I'm thinking of Atkins? How is this different from Atkins, or is it the same?)

There are a bunch of subtle differences between most low carb diets. I think that what a person does really sort of depends on their individual goals, comfort levels, personal triggers and tastes.

I started doing Atkins induction at 20 g net carbs. ( total carbs minus fibre) and that is the one thing that hasn’t really changed since I started. Where vinnie ( and I) divert from Atkins is that I don’t eat grains or sweeteners of any descriptions which Atkins is ok with. Vinnie on the other hand doesn’t really count carbs per se, just says, eat to satiety. Most people following vinnie or Atkins will get into ketosis either way but I’m of the opinion that following Connie’s ideas, not eating any grains or sweetener, makes the process WAY easier. Ketosis is common to a low carb diet but how that food plan looks like for each person can be vastly different.

I haven’t eaten sweetener since 2002 so I ended up doing it that way and I think it was easier for me because if it. And you know me in person, so you KNOW what I looked like before. I was hard core.

Looking back, I’d prioritize breaking carb addiction and getting into ketosis rather than worrying about weight loss immediately. The people I know who have been successful at it have made a commitment not to eat off plan. Period. So when they have cravings, they eat fat, protein and salt until it passes. Once you are in ketosis your cravings are DRASTICALLY reduced. Some don’t lose weight initially but they often feel better right away. Things like inflammation and other physical discomforts are greatly lessened. I have a friend who used to have to take Advil to get out of bed in the morning from
Arthritis pain and now ever though she has lost only 5 pound in a few months she says she is never going back because she feels so great. Those are the non scale victories.

Like with Atkins, you eat when hungry and stop when sated, so those things are similar.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 12:36 pm
amother wrote:

Hmm. What I did when I started and now are different. In the beginning, I ate 20 g or less of net carbs a day and indiscriminate amounts of protein and fat.

Now, I probably ingest about 12-1400 calories a day, made up of various high protein/fat foods and the same 20 g net carbs.

I fast intermittently because it just sort of happens. I’m not religious about how long for.

Yesterday was not a typical day. I had coffee with heavy cream, then some grebben I made ( all gone now) and a 200g burger. That was around noon. Then, later we went out to a Toronto restaurant and I ate a variety of salatim, a green salad, kebab and some sautéed veg. That was actually quite a lot of vegetation for me. On average I don’t eat that much of it.

Today I’m working and so far I’ve had coffee with cream and a couple of fresh boiled eggs. Not sure what I’ll eat next but possibly some shepherds pie made with broccoli mash when I’m hungry.

I eat a lot of scrambled eggs, various meats, fish and cheeses that are high in fat. I don’t eat things I don’t like. I don’t eat added sugar or sweetener. I eat butter and olive oil and use them when cooking vegetables.

I also eat about 5000 mg of salt a day. It’s what you do to avoid the issue of constipation and dehydration since you rarely retain water on this plan. I drink it as ‘sole’ water a couple of tbsp a day and get the rest from using salt on my food.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 12:39 pm
happy12 wrote:
I understand you are in it for health reasons. I'm just wondering if it is realistic to go on this diet for short term just to lose a little weight and change my body set point.
What happens when someone introduced limited carbs ,or fruit after they reach their goAl weight?

What you are describing is basically Atkins where one added carbs back in after getting fat adapted. I personally think that I won’t do that because of my retinopathy issue. A lot of people on Vinnies programme do that though- staying away from sugar and grain but then adding in starchy carbs like potatoes and sweet potatoes, legumes etc when they want to stop losing weight. No diet works forever if you stop doing it. I consider this my way of life

agreer

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 2:20 pm
Does diet soda affect getting into Keto? I can do without grains and starches, fruit but diet soda is my looooooooove. How does that affect things?

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Apr 20 2018, 4:30 pm
agreer wrote:
Does diet soda affect getting into Keto? I can do without grains and starches, fruit but diet soda is my looooooooove. How does that affect things?

You can get into ketosis, however, you can’t kill the carb addiction as neatly. It’s my opinion that people who use sweetener have a much harder time sticking to plan. Honestly? Give it a month without. Drink polar flavoured seltzer or lacroix or something like that. See what happens.

flmommy

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 10:00 pm
I read the vinny website and PDF. He doesn't say anything in the PDF about ketosis. Is that just something that naturally happens and you don't need to "test" for it or am I missing something? I would love to see more of your typical days. Like the other poster I love healthy grains, brown rice and farro etc. but I am desperate to loose weight.

simba

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 10:25 pm
Hi Andrea, I also lost 70 pounds on this diet. Love it!! I actually gained some back over my pregnancy and am restarting it now. Wish me luck! So add to get back on track. My only cheat is a Splenda in my coffee and two squares of 72% chocolate daily to go with that coffee. It works a charm!

JessicaR

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 11:09 pm
I'm very interested in this. Thanks for sharing!!!
I can't seem to find the pdf to download on his site. Can you post a link?

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:40 am
JessicaR wrote:
I'm very interested in this. Thanks for sharing!!!
I can't seem to find the pdf to download on his site. Can you post a link?

https://vinnietortorich.com/intro-to-nsng/

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:46 am
flmommy wrote:
I read the vinny website and PDF. He doesn't say anything in the PDF about ketosis. Is that just something that naturally happens and you don't need to "test" for it or am I missing something? I would love to see more of your typical days. Like the other poster I love healthy grains, brown rice and farro etc. but I am desperate to loose weight.

Ketosis happens when your carbs are low enough. For the purposes of this way of eating, grains should not be a regular part of your food plan. Most Jews I know eat a kezayuit of challah on Shabbat.

I would not bother testing for ketosis. I eat low enough that it’s a pretty much foregone conclusion. There are physical symptoms that tell you what’s going on.

I’ll post my food daily for a few days.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 12:50 am
Food for today, shabbat April 21

2 coffee with heavy cream
Lunch beef collagen and lamb brisket roasted overnight on 170F
coleslaw with sesame vinaigrette

Dinner
More lamb
3 eggs cooked in lamb fat
Husbands nut granola
Sunflower seeds In shell

amother
Red

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:04 am
I started 3 weeks ago and I also do IF 18/6. However I feel like I don’t know exactly what is/isn’t allowed on keto. I eat macadamia nuts, full fat cheese etc. I feel like with all the fats I have such a hard time staying within CMG calorie limit. My protein might be a bit high and I also can’t get used to eating that much fat. I can’t stand BPF it makes me vomit. I eat lots of greens (2 huge salads a day) I’m trying to lose 80lbs however I can’t see myself continuing this way, I miss my carbs Sad
I got the 60 day jumpstart program from Drew Manning aka the keto king (@fit2fat2fit) he is amazing!

Chana Miriam S

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:18 am
amother wrote:
I started 3 weeks ago and I also do IF 18/6. However I feel like I don’t know exactly what is/isn’t allowed on keto. I eat macadamia nuts, full fat cheese etc. I feel like with all the fats I have such a hard time staying within CMG calorie limit. My protein might be a bit high and I also can’t get used to eating that much fat. I can’t stand BPF it makes me vomit. I eat lots of greens (2 huge salads a day) I’m trying to lose 80lbs however I can’t see myself continuing this way, I miss my carbs Sad
I got the 60 day jumpstart program from Drew Manning aka the keto king (@fit2fat2fit) he is amazing!

Keto is different from nsng is different from hflc

I don’t know what cmg is or bpf

On keto or on nsng you don’t really count calories. I prefer nsng’s idea that you eat real food. Nsng can be keto or not. You eat to satiety. And especially if you are doing IF. I just read the obesity code. Very interesting. I believe that if you are still using sweetener this doesn’t get easier. Everyone I know who has a hard time is using sweetener. I believe you can’t realky break the carb addiction while using it. Also, apparently it’s not good for insulin resistance. Most days I do 16/8 IF. Considering longer fasts after reading the obesity code but not til after my next A1C. Most of the people I know who are successful at this are fully committed as in sweetener too. Then they stop missing the carbs and feel better.

I don’t know who drew manning is. I’ll take a look.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise