Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Carpet or flooring in playroom

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 8:20 pm
We are in the process of buying a house and we are going to have to do the floors over. The playroom is small approx 8x10. The rest of the main floor will not be carpeted but the bedroom floor will all be carpet. I have 3 kids and the oldest is five. Should I carpet or floor the playroom and why or why not. The playroom. Is off the kitchen if that matters.

amother
Amber

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 8:22 pm
Personally I don't like carpet.
It's dusty and dirty.
Tile is much easier to keep clean.

amother
Aqua

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 8:23 pm
not carpet. There are toys/games that do better on a hard surface. Buy an area rug or two.

amother
Ecru

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 8:25 pm
Flooring and indoor/outdoor rug.

If you can, I would put a soft flooring down (like glued-down cork tiles) so it's comfortable.

Reasoning: Carpet can be VERY hard to clean. It holds a lot of germs and bacteria. Kid throws up on carpet... food gets ground in... diaper explosions or toilet training accidents...

Indoor/outdoor rugs can be literally hosed down if necessary, and replaced if they get really bad. Additionally, you can get a smaller one if you want more hard floor space for things like kapla, magnatiles or legos that are better on a truly flat surface.

But I don't like a hardwood floor in a playroom, it's not as comfortable for sitting down and playing (especially if adults are playing with the kids). That's why I'd go for cork.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 9:31 pm
amother wrote:
We are in the process of buying a house and we are going to have to do the floors over. The playroom is small approx 8x10. The rest of the main floor will not be carpeted but the bedroom floor will all be carpet. I have 3 kids and the oldest is five. Should I carpet or floor the playroom and why or why not. The playroom. Is off the kitchen if that matters.

Wood flooring for the playroom and I would add that we put in carpeting in the bedrooms and later regretted it. If I was doing it now, I would have done wood flooring in all the bedrooms too.

SingALong

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 9:38 pm
I used to have carpet. Recently changed it and now I have wood flooring. I highly recommend the wood floor, especially since your are right off the kitchen so kids will be bound to wander into to playroom with food. The carpet was really hard to keep clean. I bought an area rug that lasted 3 years till it got to torn/ dirty to keep.
Another option might be vinyl tiles it’s bit softer than wood. You can get ones that look like wood they’re really nice and practical.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Apr 21 2018, 11:58 pm
OP, go for flooring. Wall-to-wall carpets my be beautiful but they are extremely unhygenic.

gumby

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 6:37 am
If the playroom is not in a basement then use hardwood. The only time carpeting is beneficial in a playroom is if it’s in a basement where tile can be very cold for kids to play on.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 7:03 am
My playroom is off the kitchen but has doors. We have a no food, no drinks rule. We have carpet- a dark, busy color, and not super plush. I love it. Never have to worry about babies falling.
I have wood in my hallway/dining room and would never want that in my playroom. I find it hard to upkeep, I'd be worried about scratches (even with a rug, because my boys would just move the rug around), and I'd be worried about babies falling. My baby also gets dirtier when he crawls on a wood floor than when he crawls on carpet.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 7:07 am
Our playroom is off the dining and kitchen areas. Also about an 8x10. We have continuous hardwood and we love it.
You're going to love having the playroom so close by. The kids really play there not like the basement where they feel far away.

mommyla

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 7:40 am
My playroom is about the same size and right off the kitchen. I have low-pile commercial carpet with a busy pattern and I love it! It’s easy to clean and it’s warmer and more comfortable for the kids to sit on. We’ve had it for 4 years now, professionally cleaned once, and it looks great. And we do eat and drink in there and the kids are far from careful...

mommyhood

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 8:55 am
If it's off the kitchen definitely NOT carpet. It's really hard to keep food out when it's so close to the kitchen.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:00 am
I would think that ceramic tiles with a wood look or laminate flooring is the most practical. If it's too cold for the kids, to sit on, then an area rug can be added.
Wood floors get scratched and carpet gets stained, dusty and can aggravate allergies .

fbmommy

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:21 am
Ceramic tiles are the worst as they are very hard on your feet and the worst for falls. The carpet makes it hard to quickly sweep up on Shabbos or when toys are scattered all over.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 12:48 pm
I debating between vinyl and tiles for the playroom.

It's off the kitchen

Any help?

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 1:02 pm
I had carpet in my playroom for a few years. It's very comfortable but very hard to clean. We recently put in wood floors and was expecting the kids to complain that it's not comfortable. Surprisingly they like it better because they can more easily play with puzzles, cliks, legos.

amother
Ecru

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 1:51 pm
Just remember that kids often fall, and the harder the flooring, the harder the fall. Definitely vinyl over tile, but also consider linoleum or cork.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Nov 18 2020, 2:51 pm
Both- vinyl tiles. Smooth enough to play, soft enough to reduce clatter and pain from falling. Plus, if something happens to one, you can pull it up and put another down.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics