Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
One of us continuation

chany m

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:00 pm
https://azjewishpost.com/2018/.....gay/. Does anyone have more info about this article?

fmt4

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:04 pm
Very interesting. I wonder why Netflix and the directors would want to leave that out?

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:21 pm
guessing even openly open people feel there's some taboo in being openly gay ... but it sounds nonsensical and like an integral part of a documentary is missing which is supposed to be sharing the truth of what really goes on in insular communities

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 1:32 pm
Maybe they felt that being openly gay gave the community an almost legitimate reason to keep her away from her kids, and that wouldn’t have worked for the film? Not saying I think that, justbthat they may have. Becasue everyone knows that homosexuality is taboo in Judaism, no matter how accepted or acceptable it is in the outside world.

chany m

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 9:55 pm
My opinion about it is that she adores being seen and heard and this makes her thrive. Her being lesbian is probably one of her fabrications and her girlfriend Sarah is fictitious.

Fox

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:25 pm
The One of Us producers, Heidi Ewing and Rachel Grady, have made several documentaries examining the lives of people who live within insular or demanding religious environments. Adding personal elements to it that distract from the challenges of living such a life (e.g., being openly gay is arguably more difficult in any environment -- not just a traditionally religious one) would dilute the impact.

What is important to remember is that documentaries, articles, and even news stories have a particular point of view. When someone agrees to share her experiences, she has no control over how her story will be presented or used. Likewise, as viewers or readers, we have no way of knowing how a story has been trimmed or edited to make the point that the authors or producers want to make.

It's possible for the author/producer to have a valid point and, simultaneously, for a subject's story to have nevertheless been distorted in some way. Which is why we have to be cautious in swallowing everything whole.

rainbow

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:28 pm
Off topic:
Fox, were you so articulate in utero, or did your talent develop at a later age?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:59 pm
rainbow wrote:
Off topic:
Fox, were you so articulate in utero, or did your talent develop at a later age?

🤣 🤣 🤣

Fox

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 12:00 am
rainbow wrote:
Off topic:

Lol, I think Hashem meant it as a consolation prize to make me feel better about having been given a body type that most closely resembles a bowling ball. Not that I would ever question Hashem's will, but next time around, I'm going to specifically ask if I can trade in a portion of my vocabulary and rhetorical fluency to be a size 2. Heck, I'm not greedy. I'd be happy with a size 4 or 6, even!

I'm guessing I'll have plenty of support for my request. My DH and DCs are regularly moved to ask, "What on earth are you talking about?" and I have a feeling quite a few Imamothers will daven on my behalf, saying, "We beg of You, Ribono shel Olam! Make Fox a size 2 the next time around! She really, really doesn't need as many words as You gave her last time!"
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics