Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Bas Mitzva Gift: Girl has everything
1  2  Next

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 2:30 pm
I have a bas mitzva coming up of a friend's daughter. I have been very close with this friend in the past, and I've known her children all since birth. I want to get something nice for her, but there are two problems:
1. My budget is relatively small -- I can only spend about $50
2. This girl has pretty much everything already. Her parents are well-off, her grandparents are well-off and indulgent, so you can imagine.
What do I buy for her?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 7:22 pm
Bump. Anybody?

ilovegod

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 7:23 pm
Anything personalized with her name.

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 7:25 pm
ilovegod wrote:
Anything personalized with her name.

A personalized picture frame with her name and date on it. DD got one for her BM and loved it.

losingweight

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 8:17 pm
iTunes gift card. She can load up her ipod. Assuming she has one.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Apr 22 2018, 10:42 pm
amother wrote:
I have a bas mitzva coming up of a friend's daughter. I have been very close with this friend in the past, and I've known her children all since birth. I want to get something nice for her, but there are two problems:
1. My budget is relatively small -- I can only spend about $50
2. This girl has pretty much everything already. Her parents are well-off, her grandparents are well-off and indulgent, so you can imagine.
What do I buy for her?

Dd just had her bas mitzvah. She mostly requested these types of items.
Gift certificate at center for making your own jewelry.
Adult art easel set.
Gift certificate at Michaels.
Gift certificate at Amazon (she's pumped about that one, go figure).
Set of books.
Personalized travel carry on set.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:02 am
Thanks for the responses. However, when I said she has everything, I really meant it. She has a full set of luggage, personalized. She has pretty much everything, personalized -- siddur, machzorim, jewelry, stuff for her room, camp stuff, etc. For all I know her lovely French underwear is also personalized. The picture frame would be a lovely idea if she were allowed to put anything uncoordinated in her beautifully decorated room -- done by a top interior designer, and everything MUST go with the decor. Sad
She's not artistic (though her sister is, so I'll keep your recommendations in mind for a couple years from now, she hates to read. She's not crafty at all. They have amazon prime and when she wants something she just orders it. She has music lessons, and jewelry making classes aren't available where I live, even if she'd be interested, which I doubt. When she's with friends they seem to prefer shmoozing about their stuff, or watching movies.
I'm really, really lost here. I don't want to just give a check, especially for $50. It won't be at all meaningful.
HELP!

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:06 am
Buy her a Sefer. A really nice Tehillim. Put her name on it if you want. But it’s something she’ll have.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:35 am
Ask her mother what she would appreciate. And always try go buy a gift with an exchange voucher, that way you cannot go wong.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:43 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Ask her mother what she would appreciate. And always try go buy a gift with an exchange voucher, that way you cannot go wong.

I already asked. She told me that a gift isn't necessary. Well, to me it is.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:45 am
I like the itunes gift card idea

salt

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:46 am
Some earrings.
My DD's always love another pair of earrings.
They have far from everything, but they do have a lot of earrings, but they would never say no to a new pair.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:48 am
amother wrote:
I like the itunes gift card idea

Yes, it's a great idea, and if it were for one of my kids, she'd be over the moon. However, these kids buy whatever they want whenever they want from iTunes or MostlyMusic, and buying it on her own would be pointless and redundant.
She has an iPod touch, and beats headphones as well as speakers to listen to it all.

salt

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:50 am
You could donate some money to tzedaka in her zechut.
Some organizations might send you a nice certificate saying that money was donated in honor of your bat mitzvah by so-and-so.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:51 am
salt wrote:
Some earrings.
My DD's always love another pair of earrings.
They have far from everything, but they do have a lot of earrings, but they would never say no to a new pair.

I thought of that, even though she doesn't wear them much, but she has super sensitive skin and can only wear 24 carat gold, and that does not work for my budget. Sad

I just want to get her something that will make her genuinely smile and be happy about it! Gosh, this is so hard! The only thing I can think of that would thrill her is to get her mom to quit her day job and fire her live-in, who she hates. Which I obviously can't do.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:51 am
A journal?
Some girls like a personal pretty pen and lockable set.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:52 am
salt wrote:
You could donate some money to tzedaka in her zechut.
Some organizations might send you a nice certificate saying that money was donated in honor of your bat mitzvah by so-and-so.

This is nice, but I want her to be pleased. I can't imagine that she'd care. Not that she isn't a nice girl, but she's 12.

salt

Chocolates!!
Smile

amother
Ecru

Iymnok wrote:
A journal?
Some girls like a personal pretty pen and lockable set.

She has one. It matches her room decor. She never ever uses it. Hates to read, hates to write.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:53 am
salt wrote:
Chocolates!!
Smile

That's a nice idea. Would it be weird for a bas mitzva present?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics