Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I put my new RN position on hold?
1  2  Next

Nicole

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 1:07 pm
I don't know what to do.
I graduated as an RN in June, and passed my boards the very end of July. I had been looking for a while, but no luck as I needed a day shift- I'm due in a couple of months and didn't see how I could work nights once the baby comes iy'h- dh can't wake up with a baby all night instead of me- men aren't able to do things like that! Very Happy
Finally, about a month ago, I inteviewed at a psychiatric hospital nearby. To make the long story short- they offered me the job of my dreams- part time, meaning three 8 hour shifts per week, day shift. It's only 20 minutes away, driving, - and pretty good pay. They have a Geriatric (old ppl) unit, an adult one, and two adolescent units. They are also opening a children's unit within the next few months.
At the interview, we discussed which unit I would be on. The woman wasn't definite about it, but noted that I had some experience with children. (ahem- I worked for about 4 weeks with a special child in a camp) She asked if I would like to be on the new childrens unit. I said okay. I also pointed out that I have adolescent experience as I was a counselor in camp for a year with that age group. She said, "oh no! I would give you anything BUT adolescents. They're very difficult and you're a new nurse" Fine.
I did orientation for a week, learned all the rules and regulations. Now I have 2 weeks of hands on work orientation. First day- where am I? Adolescents. These kids are totally out of control. ONe tried to kill himself the day I was there and several others flew off the handle and had to be held down and carried to an isolation room to calm down. Frankly, I was scared. I'm in my eighth month of pregnancy and didn't want to get kicked or anything. Some of these "kids" are really big, and can really hurt me, potentially.
What clinched it was later that day, a nurse manager approched me and said, "what are you doing here? This is unsafe for you? You carried your pregnancy this far, why do you want to put yourself in danger? I have two children, and I've lost another, and I don't want to see you go through something like that." She also reccomended that if I do work, I should do adult or geriatrics- NOT adolescents as they are much easier to deal with.
So I go to the head of nursing, tell her my dilemna- tell her that they promised me anything BUT adolescents , and she refused to listen. She said it's impossible anyone told me that, they don't have any positions on the adult units, and why on earth am I afraid to work on adolescents??? she then named two or three nurses who worked there till the day they gave birth.
Grrrrrrrr. What do I do? She did say that I can leave and come back to my position after the baby. The thing is, we do kind of need the money. Dh doesn't bring in a lot, despite working full time. He says it's fine, we'll manage, it's just 7 weeks of work until my due date anyway that I'd be missing. But part of me says, I should just do it, chances are nothing will happen to me. But how can I take a chance with my child???

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 1:11 pm
I wouldn't put the position on hold so soon after you started the job - it's not a good idea and chances are very high that the job won't be available for you after you return.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 1:24 pm
why dont you have the nurse manager and the woman who promised you not to be put into adolescents speak to the head of nursing?

Nicole

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 1:35 pm
Mama bear- the bizarre thing is- the woman who promised me also refused to admit she said that. when I insisted, she said, "oh maybe I was talking about the new children's unit that I would put you there" (only thing is, it doesn't exist yet, and won't exist for another few months at least- at which time I may be back!) The other weird thing is- nobody knows who this nurse manager is- I described her "african american, curly hair..." nobody has a clue, and it's not such a big place! Maybe she's eliyahu hanavi?
Defy- I actually think I may just take the chance and put it on hold. I would never forgive myself if something would happen, cv's...

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 1:48 pm
that is weird that no one knows that nurse manager!! Can you try to locate here where you saw her last time?

ChavieK

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 2:13 pm
Is there a human resource dept you can go to?

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 2:24 pm
It's not worth taking a chance. You have your degree and qualifications, and Hashem is looking out for you too, you know! Very Happy if this job doesn't work out, something else will. jmo.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 2:53 pm
It a psychiatric hospital where the job is very mentally and physically demanding which makes it have a higher turnover rate for staff. Your job is only part time and I have a very strong feeling that if you are willing to work and are qualified then they will have no problem finding a shift for you when you want to come back. If you are a bit nervous on how they will react then maybe get a doctors note stating that the physical and mentel stress is too much for you right now and till the end of the pregnancy. I really doubt they will give you a problem.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 4:13 pm
Please, take care of you and your (unborn) baby first. I have a friend who worked in a psych unit cause it was night shifts (she was home by school time in the am, then slept in the day) and the pay was great. She was promised that it was safe but... once they "forgot" to tie up a patient and he attacked her. BH nothing serious happened but it could have. I don't think you need to be at risk for any amount of money. Your baby needs you.

frumnurse

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 4:59 pm
Hi Nicole, I am a nurse too with just under 5 years experience. Although I have never done psychiatric nursing and probably never will- I understand very well what you are going through. I wanted to know- do you really enjoy psych nursing ( or just took it b/c of the great hours)?
b/c there really are so many other opportunities out there in nursing. Although I don't live in NY I know that there are plenty of needs there too. Most hospitals want new grads to work F/T, so they can get their feet wet. When I finished school ( my son was 15 mos) I started f/t even though my goal was p/t. I did that for a year and then switched to another hospital as a PRN postion ( as needed) - no benefits, but a very high hourly rate. I am very happy with my job and even though I did work f/t for the first year in my career- it was worth it! You might want to consider doing that for 1 year ( I know its hard with a newborn) in an area of nursing you actually think you will enjoy. Also, consider working nights- I do that and will continue as long as I have little kids, trust me the benefits are well worth it. Feel free to PM me with more questions.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 5:14 pm
When I was a student nurse, before marriage and babies, I found the psych unit to be dangerous and I would not advise a pregnant woman to work on such a unit.
Have you considered joining a staffing float pool that will send you to different places on the days that you indicate that you are available?

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 6:02 pm
Float pools will not hire without a few years experience.

Nicole

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 6:30 pm
chavamom wrote:

True. I know bec I've tried that!

Very Happy

Thank you all for your replies. I guess you've clinched it for me. It's just not worth it. They ARE telling me I can have the job back when I'm ready, so at least (as long as they're not lying) I'm better off than I was originally. (first I thought I wouldn't get a job until after the baby- since nobody really wants to hire a pregnant woman)

Frumnurse- I do find psych nursing interesting- though it's not very medical at all. But it is fascinating. However, I don't want to tie myself down to only psych, so I suppose I won't do it forever. But the shift and the hours seem to be fantastic for my family life right now. HOW DO YOU DO NIGHT SHIFT??? I never understand that... isn't it difficult to function? LOL

Hey- if anyone wants to hire me to do some part time work in the meantime... you know, to take care of an elderly parent, etc - please call! Very Happy

ss321

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 7:09 pm
First of all, kudos on taking time off right now. the Psych ward can be crazy. Im in my 4th of a 6 wk psych rotation. This wk alone, a pt threatened to kill me, another one threatend to kill herself, and yet another insists shes my mother. This morning, s/o tried to bite me today. But if you like it, good for you!!

Anyway, I dont want to "bust your bubble," but just keep in mind, that nurses are in high demand these days, and if you leave for the next two months, unless they actually provide you with something in writing that says your job will be waiting for you when you get back, dont be disappointed if they dont "re-hire" you.

That being said, you mentioned "taking care of an elderly person." Many nursing homes are more than willing to hire part-time. (even if youre fresh out of nursing school and have little or no experience).

Alternatively, do a google search for "visiting nurse" and you will find dozens upon dozens of health care companies that hire nurses who are interested in taking care of the temporarily disabled, elderly and infirm.

Also, why dont you try searching for PRN positions in your area? PRN=working part time, its not necessarily a set schedule. They call you when they need you, ie s/o is sick or on vacation, high patient load, holiday, etc. Im not sure if thats what a previous poster meant by "float pool" or not, but at my hospital we refer to it as PRN, and while some hospitals require a year or two of experience, others definitely dont, and will take whatever they can get given the major nursing shortage in the US. The only "minus" is that you dont get the insurance benefits and whatnot, but if your husband is working fulltime you should be receiving ins. through his employer, rite? In this case youre not tied down to anything, and iy'h after your baby is born, you can make it work w/ YOUR schedule, go in when you want, and say no when its incovenient for you. PRN Better than part time, in my opinion.

Anyway, just got paged, hope this pt doesnt try to bite me(!), spit on me, or G-d knows what elkse.

Good luck, and b'sha tova!

boruchhashem

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 7:16 pm
Nicole wrote:
chavamom wrote:

True. I know bec I've tried that!

Very Happy

Thank you all for your replies. I guess you've clinched it for me. It's just not worth it. They ARE telling me I can have the job back when I'm ready, so at least (as long as they're not lying) I'm better off than I was originally. (first I thought I wouldn't get a job until after the baby- since nobody really wants to hire a pregnant woman)

Frumnurse- I do find psych nursing interesting- though it's not very medical at all. But it is fascinating. However, I don't want to tie myself down to only psych, so I suppose I won't do it forever. But the shift and the hours seem to be fantastic for my family life right now. HOW DO YOU DO NIGHT SHIFT??? I never understand that... isn't it difficult to function? LOL

Hey- if anyone wants to hire me to do some part time work in the meantime... you know, to take care of an elderly parent, etc - please call! Very Happy

which part of ny are you in?

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 7:32 pm
Have you considered geropsych? It's a dept. few people want to work and the pts. are generally not violent, just demented (as in Alzheimers Wink ).

Nicole

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 8:24 pm
chavamom wrote:
Have you considered geropsych? It's a dept. few people want to work and the pts. are generally not violent, just demented (as in Alzheimers Wink ).

As I said, there is a geri unit in the hospital, there are just no positions available right now.
as far as whoever doesn't want to "burst my bubble" - I don't know if I agree. I don't know if nurses are so quick to run to this hospital. I get the feeling they have a quick turnover (which isn't such a happy thought on my part) When I was hired, I had gone to an open house, and was hired along with about 5 other RNs! And I was obviously pregnant, a new grad, with NO psych experience. How desperate do you think they are? (very!)
I do understand that I am risking not having a position when I want it, but I really think this is what I have to do. I keep going back and forth in my mind, - should I? shouldn't I? but when it comes down to it, I really don't think it's the best decision to go ahead with it.
Whoever suggested nursing homes, I do have a couple of leads with some of those, maybe I'll look into it, though chances are, if they do want to hire me, by the time everything gets settled I'll be almost at my due date... what can you do? Wink
Dh has a lot more bitachon than I do. I just worrry and worry. But Hashem IS in control. I just have to drill it into my head!

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 8:48 pm
not sure what you were thinking - but the phyche ward ... well it's all in the name PHYSCHIATRIC - where there are emotionally imbalanced people with the inability to control themselves, or they wouldn't have to be there. that being said - think if you can handle that situation whether before the baby or after the baby, yesterday or 2 months from now ... some people actually can

good luck with your decision

Nicole

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 9:00 pm
greenfire wrote:
not sure what you were thinking - but the phyche ward ... well it's all in the name PHYSCHIATRIC - where there are emotionally imbalanced people with the inability to control themselves, or they wouldn't have to be there.

Rolling Eyes
Come on.
That is SO cliche. How do you know the above info? From movies, no? From books and movies. That's where most ppl get their psychiatric info from. I have TWO friends who have spent time in psyche hospitals. You might know them too, and not know they were ever hospitalized. One had a serious case of bulimia, though she's not underweight, and one had bipolar issues and needed her meds straightened out. The latter is why many ppl are there.
Contrary to popular belief, they are not all psycho. Granted, some are. But most are very sad, very sick individuals, who are at their wits end and just need medication to straighten out. They're not commiting suicide simply bec they're "crazy" they're doing it because they're sad, frustrated and don't know how they can possibly ever lead a real life.
They're to be pitied. Not to be made fun of.
I'm so sorry for reacting so strongly. But these ppl need help, and though it may not be my time to do it now, they most certainly do not deserve to be treated as though they are the scum of the earth.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 9:02 pm
I think it would be best to look elsewhere. The psych ward can be a pretty scary place for a young pretty woman. I'm a PA who does not work in a psych ward but often have to do medical consults in one. The patients are sometimes pretty threatening. With all you hear about the nursing shortage you will hopefully find something else after you give birth. If you do decide you want psych, it sounds like this job will still be around when you want it. I hope I didn't confuse you more. Just giving my .02 cents.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics