Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I put my new RN position on hold?
Previous  1  2

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 9:05 pm
WOW shock - I would NEVER make fun of anybody in such a situation ... and your insinuation is quite insulting to say the least!!!

Nicole

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 9:20 pm
I'm so so sorry for misunderstanding.
I Pmed you a more in depth apology.

nicole81

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 10:26 pm
I would get it in writing that you're still going to have the job, and the hours, when you come back.

You want to make sure they're not just saying that to you the same way they said they wouldn't give you adolescents.

chavamom

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 10:32 pm
Is it really that hard to get a nursing job in NY? I have switched jobs, positions, depts. and have been pretty much able to set the terms b/c they are SO desperate for nurses here. I think with a year or two experience you'll find it much easier.

Nicole

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 12:16 am
I hope so, chavamom. It's pretty hard to get a day shift though - that's something you didn't do, no? oysh... it's so emotional to be a jewish mother...

chavamom

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 2:07 am
No, I started nights.

Secbeb

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 4:32 pm
I do rotations personally, so I do about 8 nights a month. I find that I survive them as long as they are in a row, I'm always tired the first night but as the nights progress, I'm wide awake by shift change in the morning. B"H my baby is watched by my mother so I can sleep during the day and my DH is at school. Like you Nicole, I'm due at the end of Dec. G-d willing and will be taking maternity leave, but I'll be returning to my unit, which, while it does have the occasional "condition M" or "code mental" these pts are waaaay to sick usually to get out of bed let alone hurt anybody.
Now, are you truly interested in psych nursing because it really is such a different field than medical nursing. Are you really interested in pediatrics and are just taking this job because the hours are more convenient? Or is psych your passion? Because the job you described sounds like this wasn't what you were really expecting - so is it worth it to put your unborn child and yourself in danger?
I started my job in May and while it would have been really convenient to just do day shift, I'm putting in my time and extra energy now so that I'll be able to do part time when I won't be the sole provider and my DH is able to get health insurance. The longer you're with a hospital, the more job opportunities open up, and priority goes to current employees with good track records. So - I look at it as working hard now in order to work easier in the future.

Nicole

Post Tue, Nov 13 2007, 8:39 pm
well, I finalized it today- I'm switching from part time to per diem for the adult units only. I'm willing to do any shift for now, until the baby is born, iy'h, as dd sleeps through the night so it's really not too bad - dh doesn't have to do very much with her. However, since I'm specifying only adults... I hope I get called Very Happy
Secbeb- no, I'm not b'davka in love with this field- I would actually love to do something with women's health, but even more important to me is to be able to spend time with my daughter- and this job allows me to do that. I think I'll give it six months to a year, and then I will re-evaluate everything.
Another dangerous situation happened yesterday- someone had a MAJOR code (the one adolescent on the geri floor- obviously!) and I know I have to be careful. Only a few weeks to go, be'h...

ss321

Post Wed, Nov 14 2007, 8:05 am
congrats on the per diem!! good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics