Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Vegan/vegetarian shabbos food
1  2  Next

zebra111

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 3:22 pm
So we're hosting a vegetarian couple with milk allergies this week, they're likely to be coming a lot in the next couple of months.
What do vegetarians eat that isnt regular weekday food?!?! They also dont eat fish..
Any ideas?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 3:29 pm
Make lots regular sides and salads, just keep them vegan.
Serve them one separate main dish. Quinoa served over portobello mushroom caps are good. Add nuts for added protein.

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 3:36 pm
Lots of ideas- pareve cholent, eggplant with Tehina, pomegranate and honey, vegan seven layer dip, taco salad, grilled veggie tofu kabobs

cbg

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 3:42 pm
You can serve all your usual salads with the fish course, just kept the fish Seperate.
Salads I like to make:
Israeli salad
Red cabbage with pomogranite and almond slivers
Grilled eggplant
Kohl Rabi Waldorf style (celery and cashews, instead of walnuts)
Heart of Palm with avocado and baby tomato
Fennel salad
Roasted beets
Spicy carrot
I pick 4-5.

Then I make meat or chicken and I serve 1 starch and 2 veggies
I usually make rice, and then make

Garlicy strignbeans,
mushrooms with pearl onions
creamed spinach with coconut milk,
artichoke bottoms sliced and cooked in lemon
Okra in tomato sauce
Brussel Sprouts in a little balsamic vinegar and sliced almonds
Roasted brocolli (if I need something fast)
If they eat eggs kugels are a great option.
I pick 2 veggies. Just keep the veggies Seperate from the meat or chicken.

Also I keep the salads on the table.

I don't usually make them a vegan protein option, but you can make a bean dish, even though I don't think it necessary.

For dessert, just make sure they eat eggs.

yOungM0mmy

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 5:17 pm
I had a vegetarian this week, but my menu works for vegan too.
First course: sweet chilli salmon for the non-vegetarians. salad of mixed greens, grilled mushrooms, with balsamic, olive oil and garlic dressing. chummous. chick peas. crudites.
Lentil soup
chicken for the non-vegetarians, scored and roasted half butternut squash with tehina on the side for the vegetarian. zaatar roasted green beans, maple mustard roasted cabbage and roasted coloured baby tomatoes. rice.
dessert was egg-free blondies with parev vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

Have also made crepes for vegetarian guests, stuffed with sauteed cabbage and leek, or any vegetable filling. Or zucchini boats stuffed with sauteed vegetables.

tichellady

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 5:21 pm
Every vegetarian I know is happy to have pareve side dishes for the meal as long as there is some protein, but it doesn’t need to be a main course ( hummus, chickpea salad, quinoa salad, etc).

Teomima

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 5:26 pm
As a vegetarian, I also agree with the parve side dishes. Try to use a variety of vegetables and/or legumes. Indian-style recipes are often a good bet, but even simple roasted vegetables are delicious. Don't shy away from creative spices and seasonings.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 6:28 pm
If they're vegetarian with milk allergies, not fully vegan then egg-based dishes like quiche or baked omelettes are a great main.

zebra111

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:40 pm
Some great ideas, thanks!!
Im going to check up lots more bean/indian type dishes to start I think.I love being creative in the kitchen

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 11:26 pm
Half a grapefruit to start.

Bean soup works well on the blech or in a crockpot. As does mushroom barley, and pea soup.

Salads of any type (I like to top with seeds and/or nuts for extra protein).

We love any kind of roasted vegetable. I'll do butternut squash, sweet potato, red potatoes, bell peppers, garlic heads (great for spreading on challah), brussel sprouts, cauliflower, asparagus, or a mix.

We also often have stir fried broccoli, with shitake mushrooms, cashews, and snow peas. Good with rice.

Indian food is often dairy, though you can do it pareve.

Have fun!

jkw

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 1:22 am
Tichelady can you please post the recipe for the vegan seven layer dip? TIA

DrMom

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:38 am
A thick and hearty lentil soup on Friday night.

Debbie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:42 am
www.wearesovegan.com
This might help, my daughter is vegan and has made some really good stuff from this site.
If the couple are pescetarian rather than vegetarian, there's always a fish option.

yamz

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 12:03 pm
Vegetarians aren't usually as protein obsessed as meat eaters are. They really won't care whether or not there is a "protein main dish" and nobody ever died from having one or two meals with less protein in them. As long as you serve a few vegetarian friendly salads/and or sides, you should be fine. I say this as someone with several vegetarian and and vegan friends and family members.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 12:58 pm
You guys are making me so hungry! I do eat meat, but I could happily live on soups, salads, and sides.

Check out recipies that are Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc. Most non-Western countries have a cuisine that is not meat based, or is easily adaptable to not having meat, using tofu or mushrooms as a substitute.

Go to Pinterest and search by Vegan, and you'll be up to your eyeballs in fabulous food. Very Happy

princessleah

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 3:43 pm
You could do pad thai with vegetables and tofu. Friday night only. Doesn't sit well.

I made this dish for pesach: cut an eggplant in half lengthwise, roast. Then scoop out the flesh and sautee with diced tomatoes, onions, garlic, and portobello mushrooms. You can also add fake meat. Then put everything back into the eggplant halves and bake.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:00 pm
yamz wrote:
Vegetarians aren't usually as protein obsessed as meat eaters are. They really won't care whether or not there is a "protein main dish" and nobody ever died from having one or two meals with less protein in them. As long as you serve a few vegetarian friendly salads/and or sides, you should be fine. I say this as someone with several vegetarian and and vegan friends and family members.

As a lifelong vegetarian, I disagree that you can just forget having any type of protein at a meal. One of my largest pet peeves is when people imagine that a vegetarian dinner is just a meat meal minus the main course. Sure, I can and do survive just fine for one meal with only some salads, but I often leave hungry and have to eat again when I get home. Of course I would never be anything but gracious and thankful to my host, so you might not know from that side. Obviously not the end of the world, but if you're trying to be an accommodating host, it's kind to have some form of protein on offer.

For what it's worth, my husband finds he needs protein even more than I do.

princessleah

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:01 pm
challahchallah wrote:
As a lifelong vegetarian, I disagree that you can just forget having any type of protein at a meal. One of my largest pet peeves is when people imagine that a vegetarian dinner is just a meat meal minus the main course. Sure, I can and do survive just fine for one meal with only some salads, but I often leave hungry and have to eat again when I get home. Of course I would never be anything but gracious and thankful to my host, so you might not know from that side. Obviously not the end of the world, but if you're trying to be an accommodating host, it's kind to have some form of protein on offer.

I was once at a wedding and two plates were placed of my DH and me. Steak, green beans, potatoes and one other vegetable. DH says, 'do you have a vegetarian meal?" The waiter says, "of course!" Reaches onto the plate with his hand and removes the steak!!!

Teomima

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:33 am
I fall out somewhere between yamz and challahchallah's perspectives. It's true that, as a vegetarian, I'm not as protein obsessed at meat eaters. I incorporate legumes and other natural proteins into my daily diet, but don't need tofu steak or seitan stew to replace the main meat dish. I do need more than salads but I'm also happy with a wide variety of various cooked vegetables.

I also disagree with imasinger about Indian food often being dairy. Just choose recipes without yogurt or paneer. I often make daal (green lentils cooked with onions and ginger), curried zucchini (thinly sliced, cooked in tomato juice with lots of curry), and various stews with coconut milk (one of my favorites is cauliflower, tomatoes, potatoes, tofu, onions and spinach, cooked in curry and coconut milk).

Oh, and princessleah, I can totally identify. I've learned to never go to weddings hungry. It's the WORST place to eat as a vegetarian. I've had better luck on airplanes.

yamz

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:31 am
challahchallah wrote:

I guess you would fall in the tiny minority then. I eat mostly vegetarian myself, and as I said, many of my family members are vegan or vegetarian. Most do not care for faux meats, and certainly not after they have been sitting on the blech for at least an hour. These products do not have the fat content of meat products. They get dried out and overcooked very easily. Everyone I know is perfectly content to eat the side dishes for a meal or two. Obviously I am not suggesting that OP only make one vegetarian dish -- a tossed green salad -- and force her guests to subsist off of a few lettuce leaves and grape tomatoes. I have seen meals where vegans literally had nothing nothing to eat. I also think if you are vegan, you probably shouldn't expect to eat out too many Shabbos meals. You can't expect the average cook to suddenly and completely change their way of cooking just for you. A lacto-ovo vegetarian has more options. Honestly, if you ate challah and dips and then were served potato kugel and roasted vegetables and a hearty salad, would you really walk away hungry? It may or may not be the style of food you might prepare for yourself, but I don't think you would faint from hunger on your way home.

I say all this as someone who goes out of her way to accommodate allergies/food preferences/ lifestyle diets/ food chumras as a host. As a guest, if I accept a meal invitation, I do not expect the hosts to veer from their standard menu at all. It isn't fair to make my hosts stress over the menu just because I eat differently. If I think the food situation will be really suboptimal, I either make sure to eat something before I go, or leave something at home for later.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus