Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
I don't want rabbits to eat my vegetables.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 3:34 pm
I was never able to have a garden in my backyard because some overgrown trees blocked out the sun and now that they are cut down, I have all of this space but this neighborhood is overrun with rabbits. They are cute until they get into a garden and eat all of the plants. How do I keep them out?

Mommy1:)

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 3:39 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I was never able to have a garden in my backyard because some overgrown trees blocked out the sun and now that they are cut down, I have all of this space but this neighborhood is overrun with rabbits. They are cute until they get into a garden and eat all of the plants. How do I keep them out?

chicken fencing. it helps if you bury it several inches too so they'll have trouble digging underneath. I also used raised beds within the fenced in garden and used more chicken fencing (stapled or attached to the frame of the bed) around the tastiest treats (aka lettuce and carrots).

Iymnok

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 3:41 pm
A quick google search said a chicken-wire fence. With specifications. It doesn’t look too hard.

L K

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 3:43 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
chicken fencing. it helps if you bury it several inches too so they'll have trouble digging underneath. I also used raised beds within the fenced in garden and used more chicken fencing (stapled or attached to the frame of the bed) around the tastiest treats (aka lettuce and carrots).

How high did you make it, and Is it good for jumping squirrels too?

How do you get inside to take care of the plants?

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 3:52 pm
Thanks, for the replies! It looks like I will have to run some chicken wire around the garden and climb over it.

Mommy1:)

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 4:01 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Thanks, for the replies! It looks like I will have to run some chicken wire around the garden and climb over it.

LOL you don't need to be a gymnast Smile ask the garden supply store for ideas. you could fashion a door of sorts out of the chicken fencing, but it can take a minute or two to open it (unless you give up and go for the wire cutters haha). Gardening is a fun adventure! but when you taste homegrown veggies/fruits, it's sooooo worth it. yummy - no wonder the neighborhood critters want some too!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 4:12 pm
If you do the chicken fencing right, you can even keep out raccoons.

Another thing to look into is cougar scent crystals. They make your garden smell like a predator has marked that territory (but humans can't smell it.) Make sure you get the outdoor formula so it will be rainproof.

I used the indoor formula when my garage was colonized by squirrels, and it worked really well.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 5:30 pm
southernbubby wrote:

We make a chicken wire fence at least four feet tall and put a gate on hinges that also has chicken wire protection. We use the gate to go in and out. We also put chicken wire under the soil so that groundhogs don't come from underground.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 5:55 pm
Thanks guys! From everything that I have read, the chicken wire has to be buried at least 3 inches.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening