Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Just terrible. Surprised not mentioned yet
1  2  Next

noosheen

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 6:46 pm
https://www.thestar.com/news/g......html

imasinger

Post Mon, Apr 23 2018, 7:49 pm
I just heard about it on the radio. Awful. They don't seem to think it's terrorism.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:26 am
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new.....ufo7L

Apparently he is on the Autism spectrum.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:32 am
OMG!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:45 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5650041/Van-driver-killed-10-socially-awkward-tech-expert.html#ixzz5DaSufo7L

Apparently he is on the Autism spectrum.

I don't see how that's significant. I have a brother on the autism spectrum and he would never hurt a fly.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 5:01 am
Chayalle wrote:
I don't see how that's significant. I have a brother on the autism spectrum and he would never hurt a fly.

Faulty reasoning.
If you know one person with Autism, you know ONE person with Autism.

The lady who checked out my groceries today wore a hijab. Do I think she wants to kill me, because she is a Muslim? No, but I also don't deny that there are Muslims out there who DO want to kill me.

The exception does not prove the rule, and vice versa.

The newspapers thought it was relevant enough to report it, so there must be something related. People interviewed said that he was mentally deficient as well as socially off, and I'm sure that must have had something to do with his reasoning (or lack of reasoning) at the time.

crust

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 5:04 am
Chayalle wrote:

The reason for killing another human being out of the blue is rishos period.

But somehow, instead of reading; "The killer was a first class murderer. He enjoyed to kill. He was malicious vicious and always suspicious", every shooter suddenly turns out to have a mental illness. Rolling Eyes

crust

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 5:11 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Faulty reasoning.
If you know one person with Autism, you know ONE person with Autism.

The lady who checked out my groceries today wore a hijab. Do I think she wants to kill me, because she is a Muslim? No, but I also don't deny that there are Muslims out there who DO want to kill me.

The exception does not prove the rule, and vice versa.

The newspapers thought it was relevant enough to report it, so there must be something related. People interviewed said that he was mentally deficient as well as socially off, and I'm sure that must have had something to do with his reasoning (or lack of reasoning) at the time.

Lack of reasoning does not turn someone into a walking machine gun from one minute to the next.

I can't just buy this FF.
Because if so we'll soon have to lock up every person diagnosed with autism, adhd or bipolar.
There must be something other than an innoent diagnosis that a person should be able to pull off a masacre like this.
Your thoughts?

Last edited by crust on Tue, Apr 24 2018, 8:47 am; edited 2 times in total

Bluesky 1

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 5:39 am
Everyone of us at some point has an enemy we would want to do away with. We know better noto. When we lose our logic and self control and a willingness to live and no care or regard for human life then that's the result.

In my opinion it it mental illness. The question is wether we use it too often and is the perpetrator really ill. Or it's an excuse. Regardless they need to be locked up. Not fit to be in society

Jeanette

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 6:34 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

That's faulty reasoning right there. Newspapers report all kinds of things for all kinds of reasons. And not always is their reporting accurate. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about what's important based on what a newspaper says.

observer

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:14 am
They are reporting that he was known to authorities.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:14 am
Quote:

Not really. Newspapers report anything and everything, as long as it’s sensational. They also tend to like to perpetuate stigmas and stereotypes. The fact that the papers decided to take this info and run with it really means nothing at all. It just means they think it’s sensational and/or “oh look, the guy is on the spectrum, another reason to not treat people on the spectrum as we treat everyone else.”

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:30 am
Bluesky 1 wrote:
Everyone of us at some point has an enemy we would want to do away with. We know better noto. When we lose our logic and self control and a willingness to live and no care or regard for human life then that's the result.

In my opinion it it mental illness. The question is wether we use it too often and is the perpetrator really ill. Or it's an excuse. Regardless they need to be locked up. Not fit to be in society

Perhaps it's some form of mental illness, that would lead one person to kill innocent bystanders because they have lost their own will to live and care nothing for anyone else's will to live.

But it's got nothing to do with the autism spectrum.

I usually agree with FF, but on this thread I am disappointed.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 9:52 am
It's so soon after the tragedy. Everyone wants to know, "Was he Black? Was he Musllim? Was he a neo-Nazi?" etc.

I trust the court system and their experts to get to the bottom of his motives, and to clarify his mental condition.

Time will tell who's theories are right. I don't have a dog in this fight, and I never wanted to paint all people of certain group to be a certain stereotype. I apologize if it came across that way.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 9:59 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
It's so soon after the tragedy. Everyone wants to know, "Was he Black? Was he Musllim? Was he a neo-Nazi?" etc.

I trust the court system and their experts to get to the bottom of his motives, and to clarify his mental condition.

Time will tell who's theories are right. I don't have a dog in this fight, and I never wanted to paint all people of certain group to be a certain stereotype. I apologize if it came across that way.

I agree, we want answers to help us feel safer - how did this happen? And maybe if we control all (people of certain type) we will prevent this from happening...

I trust the court system far more than the newspapers...though since the murderer is dead, I'm not sure what the court's involvement might be....still, we will have to wait for expert investigation to get a clearer picture.

Thank you for clarifying your stance. On behalf of all gentle, loving souls like my brother, I accept your apology.

Last edited by Chayalle on Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:02 am
Chayalle wrote:
I agree, we want answers to help us feel safer - how did this happen? And maybe if we control all (people of certain type) we will prevent this from happening...

I trust the court system far more than the newspapers...though since the murderer is dead, I'm not sure what the court's involvement might be....still, we will have to wait for expert investigation to get a clearer picture.

Thank you for clarifying your stance. On behalf of all gentle, loving souls like my brother, I accept your apology.

The murderer is dead?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:06 am
cnc wrote:
The murderer is dead?

No, he's in custody. He begged the police to kill him, but they refused and got him to comply. The cop who talked him down is being hailed as a hero.

The victims families will at least get the closure of knowing what went through the killers mind at the time. Senseless violence is the worst, and that's why we want to make sense of it so badly.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:09 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
No, he's in custody. He begged the police to kill him, but they refused and got him to comply. The cop who talked him down is being hailed as a hero.

The victims families will at least get the closure of knowing what went through the killers mind at the time. Senseless violence is the worst, and that's why we want to make sense of it so badly.

You know what, I think I'm confusing this incident with that horrible police shooting in FL, where the murderer killed himself immediately after.

How sad that so many tragedies (FL, Toronto, Chicago) have occurred in such a short space of time. My brain can't seem to sort out all the facts.

My apologies.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:12 am
Chayalle wrote:
You know what, I think I'm confusing this incident with that horrible police shooting in FL, where the murderer killed himself immediately after.

How sad that so many tragedies (FL, Toronto, Chicago) have occurred in such a short space of time. My brain can't seem to sort out all the facts.

My apologies.

No problem. It's truly horrible that there is so much pain and suffering in the world. The fact that we have the internet at out fingertips makes us even more aware of what is happening, and that in turn makes us more hyper-vigilant and anxious. We want answers, and we want them NOW!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:15 am
cnc wrote:
The murderer is dead?

I have corrected my post. Sorry!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics