Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How to begin to teach kids to make their own beds?

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 2:26 pm
How old are kids when they can start making their beds?

Any easy ideas or tricks that help?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 3:57 pm
Changing the sheets or merely tidying the covers?

MahPitom

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 4:52 pm
I start at age 2. I reward them when they make it whether it’s good or not. Most important thing is NOT to fix it up for them after but to leave it as is. So don’t start them early if you won’t be able to tolerate leaving it. At age 4 or 5 they will make it perfectly if they do it every day!

The moment you will fix it, you will defeat the purpose.

Tefila

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 6:07 pm
I'd imagine fixing the covers and getting it straight rather then changing sheets choc Wink
Well mine have been doing it since 2 and abit and though my sons bed making is messier then my dd, atleast he is getting into the habit and eventually will get it right Tongue Out

My kids changed their sheets from 12 yrs old. Anyways frankly I still most times do it Confused
Truth be told when they are not looking I will go over it and though it is time comsuming to have them do it Chinuch wise it's best that they learn do it , from a very early age.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 07 2007, 8:35 pm
Thanks for the replies!
My 2 year old can no way spread out a blanket or a sheet.
My 4 yr old was home today so I kind of taught him what to do. It seemed hard for him, and I wondered about that which is why I'm asking others.

deedee

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 12:52 am
I started having my almost 4 yr old make her bed. she sleeps with just a blanket so I showed her how to fold it in 1/2 and spread it on her bed. when I ask her to do it she says 'can u u help me mom? I have her spread it out how she can then I show her again how to fold and spead (if she doesnt fold it hangs onto the floor). I dont make a big deal out of it and am not really consistant every morning-with my beds either;) I try to be, when I make mine I'll tell her to make hers also.

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 9:17 am
It was actually pretty neat, he gave me an idea of how I can teach him. I figured he can fix his pillow himself, and he decided to put two stuffed dolls into his bed, one on either side of his pillow (not that he cares to sleep with them usually.) So I gave him the top two corners of the blanket, one in each hand, and told him to put one corner next to one doll and the other corner next to the other doll. I did the corners at the foot of the bed, but he did a pretty good job.

greenfire

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 10:21 am
you hit it on the nose GR you don't expect them or teach them to make it ... you help them ... pull this side, tuck that corner, hold the pillow case open, smooth the blanket ... then they slowly learn ... and never do it over if it's not good - kids see this and feel their job is not good enough and will soon give up ... but if they see "wow look what I did" - then they slowly get better and better at it ...

shopaholic

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 10:30 am
DS - 7 is on the top bunk & because we can't really see it, I let it go. DD - 4 hardly messes up hers so I just pull the corner back over her bed, DS - 3 doesn't like a blanket or sometimes uses a baby blanket, not a full sized quilt.

Tefila

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 12:43 am
Quote:
you hit it on the nose GR you don't expect them or teach them to make it ... you help them ... pull this side, tuck that corner, hold the pillow case open, smooth the blanket ..

Yep forget about the sheets I teach them with a small blanket first and gradually as they age they learn it better. So truly do they make their beds so young well if you call straightening corners making sure htey have their blanket right side up on their bed as straight as little hands can do it and placing pillowcase with pillow in straight. Then yea to me for a tot it's called making your bed. Tongue Out
Green I do hear u about not going over it but I don't do it when they r looking Confused or should I not be doing it at all ??
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics