Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Are you a honker?
1  2  Next

Are you or your dh a honker?
I am.  
 14%  [ 13 ]
My dh is.  
 22%  [ 20 ]
Both me and my dh are.  
 3%  [ 3 ]
Neither me or my dh are.  
 47%  [ 43 ]
I don't drive, so it's non-issue.   
 10%  [ 9 ]
other  
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 90

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:25 am
You know, with the car horn Wink ? Do you honk when you know there's no point except to make noise or when actually in danger or to get someone's attention? Is it more of a woman or man thing?

The poll is pretty simple, but if you need help.
I am- if you drive and honk when there's no point and your dh doesn't or you don't have one or he doesn't drive.
My dh is- whether you drive or not, but you're not a honker, but your dh is.
Both me and my dh is- self explanatory.
Neither me or my dh is- also self explanatory.
I don't drive, so it's a non-issue- and your dh doesn't either or you don't have one or he doesn't either honk.
other- anything else.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:40 am
If you are a honker, post where you live, too.

Israelis LOVE their horns, probably even more than New Yorkers. OOT, not so much.

yo'ma

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 7:46 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
If you are a honker, post where you live, too.

Israelis LOVE their horns, probably even more than New Yorkers. OOT, not so much.

That's absolutely true. That's why I even bring it up because of where I live. Sooooo noisy!!!! Some areas are quieter, but I happen to live on a busy block even though it's a one way side street, and there's usually lots of traffic. It's gotten worse since they made my street into one lane instead of two lanes by putting a bike path. Mad

doctorima

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 9:31 am
We were once spending Shabbos in a lovely OOT community, and one of the locals told DH, "Do you know how long a heref ayin is (as in yeshuos Hashem k'heref ayin)? It's the length of time between when a light turns green in NYC and the guy behind you starts to honk at you to go" - great line, so true!

morningsickness

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 1:20 pm
Lol

I was on the phone once with an English friend while I was in a store In Geula. She stopped me in the middle of the conversation and asked "what the world is going on where you are? an accident??"

And I'm like, no...why?

She answered:" all that honking in the background"

Lol..it was just a regular day here in Israel.

Honking here is a legitimate form of communication LOL

jewwoman

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 1:22 pm
Depends on my mood but if u drive like an idiot and you pull out in front of me or do something stupid be prepared to be hooted at. Thats what we call it in the UK. And when I hoot I leave my hand on it for ages just to make my point known Very Happy

Chayalle

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 1:32 pm
I'm not a honker.

I have a relative who is a honker. I once got a ride with her, and we experienced a road rage incident after she honked someone who cut her off on the highway. He basically slowed down in front of her drastically, then when she tried to switch lanes he unsafely swung in front of her and did the slow down again....

So she pulled over to the side of the road and just sat there - with our cell phones out - until he moved on, we waited a few minutes, and continued our trip.

dvorak613

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 1:46 pm
I'm not a honker. And I hate honkers, they're half the reason for my anxiety. If you honk me because I actually stopped at a stop sign, or am waiting for a larger gap to make that big left, I will purposely take longer to get out of your way LOL

iammom

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 2:57 pm
I'm a honker. But I'll only honk at you if you are driving like a complete idiot.

For example, not stopping at a stop sign, following the car in front of you into a four way stop etc

ahuvah4

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:25 pm
I'm not a honker, neither is my dh. ( live in mtl) however the minute we arrive to boro park we just honk. To join the fun.

Boca00

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 4:50 pm
I save honking for emergencies, like if you start backing up into my car, are about to turn right into me, etc.

Honking is used to convey so many different messages and it can be unclear who you are honking at.

I know someone who always assumes everyone is honking at him, while I never assume honks are directed to me.

For all non emergency situations, I hold we should have out of the car speakers (like the cops). It would avoid a lot of confusion if we could just say things like, "You can go", " We're outside", "You cut me off!" or even just "Hi!".

Mommy1:)

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 6:13 pm
I used to be a honker - when people did stupid things while driving (running lights, signs, etc), and when people were sleeping at the wheel. Then I moved out of town. Now I hardly use my horn - no one does around here.

Maya

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 6:17 pm
If you cut me off, I will lean on my horn for an entire block. I once had a guy speed past a red light in order to get away from my horn, but he had cut me off at a dangerously close distance so he deserved that.

Otherwise, mostly only for warning of danger situations.

pizzapie

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 8:36 pm
I don't live in ny and honking is really just used as it should be, for safety purposes. That said, if you're driving too slowly I will tailgate you until you move out of my lane. I guess I'm just a passive aggressive driver!

Moonlight

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 8:49 pm
Yup. I live in new york. And you can bet that if you spaced out at a green light I will honk you. Even if you space out at every green light. I have places to go. Oh, and also if you cut me off

rednavy

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 9:27 pm
I used to be a honker, until one day I passed the person I’d honked at and it was an elderly gentleman doing his best. Since that day, I never honk Smile . The only case in which I will is if there is immediate danger that someone doesn’t see.

Gneshe

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:09 pm
dvorak613 wrote:
I'm not a honker. And I hate honkers, they're half the reason for my anxiety. If you honk me because I actually stopped at a stop sign, or am waiting for a larger gap to make that big left, I will purposely take longer to get out of your way LOL

Agreed. 👍

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Apr 24 2018, 10:10 pm
iammom wrote:
I'm a honker. But I'll only honk at you if you are driving like a complete idiot.

For example, not stopping at a stop sign, following the car in front of you into a four way stop etc

The same. I just missed some boys on bikes who drove almost into my car. I honked them. Or if a car in front of me is doing something illegal... I'm generally a nice person, but there are limits!

BadTichelDay

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 6:17 am
I'm usually not a honker and I can't stand honkers because they make me nervous (I live in Israel, mind...). Just sometimes, when I'm extremely annoyed or feel treated very injustly in traffic, I'll honk. One time, on the way back from work, 4 other cars coming from the other direction in a curve cut into my lane dangerously. I almost flipped off the road. After that I was so livid that I flashed my lights and honked at every other car I could see for a few minutes to let off steam!

sirel

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 6:32 am
I hate honking.

I do have to honk sometimes when I drive near my home, there are always children playing in the street (very quiet block) and they sometimes ignore the cars.

Last edited by sirel on Wed, Apr 25 2018, 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics