Home

S/O Why is adult FRUM literature awful?
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Reading Room

Report offensive ad

View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Boca00









  


Post  Wed, Sep 12 2018, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to write a frum novel where the two halves of a couple don't grow religiously at the same pace. Or one of the couple doesn't grow religiously at all. Ever. Without a "happy" ending. It does happen in real life. So, I'm still waiting...and waiting...and waiting... Wake me up if there ever is a frum novel like that.


Or where there is a boy and a girl (or man and woman) and they don't get married in the end!
Back to top

trixx









  


Post  Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:25 pm
amother wrote:
I'm still waiting for someone to write a frum novel where the two halves of a couple don't grow religiously at the same pace. Or one of the couple doesn't grow religiously at all. Ever. Without a "happy" ending. It does happen in real life. So, I'm still waiting...and waiting...and waiting... Wake me up if there ever is a frum novel like that.


Can't remember the title but years ago I read a book about a girl who became baal teshuva and dated a very nice guy who then found out he was a total mamzer. Book ends with them breaking up.
Back to top

daagahminayin









  


Post  Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:39 pm
trixx wrote:
Can't remember the title but years ago I read a book about a girl who became baal teshuva and dated a very nice guy who then found out he was a total mamzer. Book ends with them breaking up.


If it was the girl who found out she was a mamzer then I read that book too. She resolved to never get married. Made me so sad. And angry - I keep thinking there has to be a better way.
Back to top

livinginflatbus









  


Post  Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:41 pm
I read it too. Hated the ending .
Back to top

turca









  


Post  Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:48 pm
Frum books reflect what frum society wants: people getting married and having a picture-perfect life with children matching clothing that are the latest style!
Back to top

animeme









  


Post  Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:52 pm
There was a serial in one of the magazines a bunch of years ago that started out with the husband looking like he was starting to slip religiously. But then they got flak for it and the story changed to the husband having depression (that was now the issue being brought to the forefront), with much of the focus placed on the relationship between the wife and her MIL.
Back to top

cnc









  


Post  Wed, Sep 12 2018, 9:55 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
I read it too. Hated the ending .


It was based on a true story, and not all of real life ends happily ever after.
Back to top

Rubber Ducky









  


Post  Wed, Sep 12 2018, 10:07 pm
animeme wrote:
There was a serial in one of the magazines a bunch of years ago that started out with the husband looking like he was starting to slip religiously. But then they got flak for it and the story changed to the husband having depression (that was now the issue being brought to the forefront), with much of the focus placed on the relationship between the wife and her MIL.

I remember that serial. it was in Family First. It was really interesting until... it wasn't.
Back to top

amother




Pumpkin


Post  Thu, Sep 13 2018, 7:51 am
I like frum literature. Like all literature lhavdil some is better than others.
Back to top

ssspectacular









  


Post  Thu, Sep 13 2018, 10:55 am
I also find that the short stories in the Jewish magazines end very abruptly. They get a good story going then suddenly stop it with some moral.....
Back to top

WastingTime









  


Post  Thu, Sep 13 2018, 12:29 pm
I stopped reading frum books yrs ago. I just couldn't anymore. Somehow they were all just so flat, the writing, the characters, the plot...oh well
Back to top

amother




Beige


Post  Fri, Sep 14 2018, 4:33 am
animeme wrote:
There was a serial in one of the magazines a bunch of years ago that started out with the husband looking like he was starting to slip religiously. But then they got flak for it and the story changed to the husband having depression (that was now the issue being brought to the forefront), with much of the focus placed on the relationship between the wife and her MIL.


There's a current serial to that effect in Ami Living called The Stars Are Fire. They get divorced.
Back to top
  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Recent Topics

Page 6 of 6 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> The Social Scene -> Reading Room

Similar Topics Replies Last Post
Why is so much of adult literature awful?
by gold21
44 Wed, Apr 25 2018, 8:16 am View last post
Improving Jewish Literature (merged)
by HooRYou
157 Mon, Aug 11 2008, 5:07 am View last post
Hey, fellow literature lovers 44 Sun, Mar 08 2015, 8:46 pm View last post
Chanukah Literature for High School Girls
by amother
1 Sun, Dec 18 2011, 11:26 pm View last post
Institute of Children's Literature or other course?
by gottago
4 Wed, May 11 2011, 12:56 am View last post

Jump to:  





Report offensive ad