Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is 6 to young for rollerblades?

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:34 pm
My dd is begging me for roller blades I think she's too young. I'm afraid of her braking bones. I see older girls with casts from falling on rollerblades. She could use a social boost and she I know she would feel very proud if she did learn how to do it. I thought maybe roller skates but it might not be sophisticated enough amongst the spoiled kids around here. Some mother's told me there daughters, her age have asked for roller blades and they are buying it so far no one has them yet. Dd is a little cautious scary cat. But she learned to ride a bike at age 4.5 with practice because she was very motivated from seeing others. Truth is I wouldn't even know how to buy it. Also would want to go to a cheaper of the line. Is 6 to young any tips?
Thanks

octopus

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:38 pm
My dd was rollerblading at 5. It is nerve wracking, but I dont allow rollerblading just anywhere. I don't let her do it on the sidewalk. I only allow it at the public school yard where it is very very smooth. And even then she has to be careful. Besides wearing the helmet, She must wear the knee, arm, and wrist guards.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 2:14 pm
One of my 7-year olds is roller blading, but only in the house. B"H we have a big living room with hardwood floors! I would not be comfortable with her roller blading outside.

jerusalem90

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 3:04 pm
I learned at age 8 and am so glad that I did because now I am a chicken and probably would be to scared to learn. I think the younger the better - the bigger the kid is the harder they fall.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 3:08 pm
I let my children learn younger, indoors only. Once they mastered indoors I let on blacktop paths with all the nerd safety equipment only.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 3:18 pm
sure why not!?!? I remember wanting to be on rollerblades but my grandma didn't let me. I had those little kids fisher price skates that go over my shoes for far too long. finally I got rollerblades and could keep up with the kids next door. anon because this is so embarassing!

5S5Sr7z3

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 7:53 pm
One of my kids learnt to roller blade in kindergarten. It gives her a tremendous sense of freedom and she prefers blading over walking/running when playing outside.

She's broken plenty of bones, but never from roller blading. Kids are kids, and they can break a bone just by walking and tripping over their own feet.

losingweight

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 8:09 pm
A long as she mastered the skill, age shouldn't be a factor in deciding whether or not she should get them. Make sure she's padded where she can get hurt.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 8:29 pm
Not too young. My 6 yr old and 7 yr old love their rollerblades! so much so that my 3 yr old practices with their blades and is getting better Smile he dsnt fall so much - more, just learning to roll vs walk hehe

my mama

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:00 pm
My sister was on ice skates before she was 2 and 2 sisters on roller skates at the age of 3.

Safety equipment is number 1 and you have to know what her sense of balance is like.

benny

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:01 pm
My 6 year old is on rollerblades and loves them.

petiteruchy

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 12:36 am
Rollerblading isn't really a thing here but my kids scooter, bike without training wheels and start learning to skateboard by age 4/5. Their balance is great because they're allowed to practice and build their skills. If you don't let them develop these active life style skills now, when will they?

DrMom

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 1:54 am
I think regular roller skates are easier than roller blades for little kids. Why don't you start with inexpensive over-the-shoe adjustable roller skates at first and see how it goes?

phila

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 2:38 pm
at least 3 of my kids rollerbladed at that age and they were much more cautious when they're younger. the older they are the more risks they take. it's also much easier to get them to wear safety equipment when they're younger and if a girl wants to be active I'd grab the chance! let her practice indoors and then outside.

greenfire

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 2:36 pm
it depends on the kid ... some can jump right into a sport while others struggle a lifetime and are doomed ... age doesn't matter but ability

loveit

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 3:46 pm
My five year old roller blades quite well and has for the past 6 months. We found that roller skates are actually much harder than the inline roller blades so I would skip the roller skate idea. When outside, we do require helmets and wrist guards. I don't think elbow and knee pads are necessary, they are more likely to fall on their hands so the wrist guards are non negotiable for us. He goes on the sidewalk no problem. When he first got them he spent a lot of time on them in the house. Carpet first (they can't even really roll on the carpet) then tile and hardwood and outside.

Don't worry, the cheaper roller blades have terrible bearings and don't roll so great anyway meaning that she won't be able to go very fast and less likely to hurt herself. Let her be a kid!

WhatFor

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 4:02 pm
loveit wrote:
My five year old roller blades quite well and has for the past 6 months. We found that roller skates are actually much harder than the inline roller blades so I would skip the roller skate idea. When outside, we do require helmets and wrist guards. I don't think elbow and knee pads are necessary, they are more likely to fall on their hands so the wrist guards are non negotiable for us. He goes on the sidewalk no problem. When he first got them he spent a lot of time on them in the house. Carpet first (they can't even really roll on the carpet) then tile and hardwood and outside.

Don't worry, the cheaper roller blades have terrible bearings and don't roll so great anyway meaning that she won't be able to go very fast and less likely to hurt herself. Let her be a kid!

Agree about the roller blades being easier than roller skates.

OP- I totally understand your anxieties but please hide them from your daughter! It won't be helpful to her to have these anxieties.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics