Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Offered a job for more pay but...

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 1:53 pm
I work for a lawyer who doesn't have a very busy practice.
I work from home most days mainly making appointments and get paid by the call.
I used to go in to the office one day a week but I would spend a couple of hours and then have nothing to do. Sure there are few things I could do but my boss doesn't want to give me the work to do.
He would never tell me to come in I would be the one to ask when I should come. For the last few months it has been slow so he told me not to come in.
I feel there are things I could do but I get the feeling he doesn't want to part with the money(I get paid by the hour when I go in).
I feel I could be doing more but he doesn't let me.
I was just offered another job with guaranteed hours and 10 more an hour.
But it is not in the field I want have no knowledge of it.

What should I do? I really like working where I am now and I feel if I could build up the practice. He doesn't mind how things are running now but my husband feels I am or assertive enough.

What do you think I should do? Should I just tell my boss I am going to start to come in more. My friend who got me the job told me my boss told her that he wishes I come in less but I am not sure I could believe her.

Also on the line of shalom bayis I feel if I take this job my husband will sit back and let me be the breadwinner and not try to find a job. He is currently out of work.
He has told me many time I should quit and just keep him company at home.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:09 pm
It's important that you enjoy your work. Can you have a discussion with your boss? Tell him that you'd really like to take more responsibility at work. Be frank and say that you have another offer, but you'd prefer to make your current job work. Do you enjoy working in the office, or were you coming in just hoping to get more work?

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:15 pm
You could build up the lawyers practice? Is he interested in that? (Meaning he seemed to have hired you to do secretarial work)

If this job offer isn’t right - then pass and look for something else.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:20 pm
Your husband wants you to quit and keep him company at home? What will you do for money?

Woman of Valor

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 2:44 pm
Your current job sounds unreliable...can you explain what the advantages of your current job are?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics