Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
No Posts allowed about Nutrition by Tanya Rosen
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:
You and I and many others know this. And at the same time, there are many women for whom looking good is an ideal they strive for. Some will do sleeve surgery, or whatever it's called; to achieve that ideal.

The majority of women/people are not pumped about eating for vitality and wellness, though they're pumped about eating for "looking good" and weight loss.

It is what it is. We can't change the world. We can only direct our own lives.

Whatever motivates someone to eat healthier, great.

And a nutritionist still has a responsibility to guide her clients in a healthy way. It can’t be okay for a nutritionist or ‘health coach’ to be promoting dietary choices that benefit the way one looks to the detriment of the clients actual health.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
Whatever motivates someone to eat healthier, great.

And a nutritionist still has a responsibility to guide her clients in a healthy way. It can’t be okay for a nutritionist or ‘health coach’ to be promoting dietary choices that benefit the way one looks to the detriment of the clients actual health.

The way I see it is, if it's ok for an MD to promote treatments that are ultimately harmful, then TR is equally permitted to do her thing.

My MD gave my child drugs that had short term benefits, but after a few weeks we noticed her blood sugar was through the roof, and her thyroid hormones had become messed up.
My own MD gave me steroids. Short term benefits, long term harm.

Same can be said for nearly all pharmaceuticals, and for many medical procedures. Have a friend, her dr directed her to do spinal surgery....a few days later she was feeling the harmful effects. A year later, she had another surgery to undo the first one.

There are short term benefits with long term harmful effects in much of life: antibiotics, Medical procedures. Medical treatments, TR's program, the keto diet, the vegan diet, this diet, the other diet, the sad diet, etc. etc. etc.

I don't have to offer up examples, I'm sure you have plenty to offer as well.

To be totally transparent: I have never been on TR's program, don't feel a need to. (I'm my own nutritionist Wink ). I don't know the woman or anyone affiliated with her company, have never met her or any of her coaches. I don't even have friends who've been on her program.

If anyone feels TR is promoting a harmful nutritional weight loss program, there's a way to report her to the proper licensing board. If someone has been harmed by TR's method, there's the possibility of suing. Just saying.

cnc

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 1:35 pm
amother wrote:
Anyone can send anyone a letter, and it doesn't mean anything.

Tanya is just letting Yael know that Tanya won't hesitate to sue her. The fact that she took the step of hiring an attorney to write a letter, lends credibility to the threat (although not necessarily. Hiring a lawyer for a lawsuit is far more expensive than hiring a lawyer to write a letter.)

Even if Tanya sues, it doesn't mean that she would win such a suit.

But lawsuits can be exhausting and expensive to defend, even if you ultimately prevail.

With such a large business, she most likely has a lawyer on retainer but I have a feeling the letter is just a scare tactic and she can’t actually sue for such a thing.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 2:07 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
TTI does not offer nutritional degrees.

As for marketing - I don't know anything about the field, but I'm pretty sure a degree is not what it takes to make it Smile.

I emailed them. They do offer an RD program.

cheeseblintz

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 2:29 pm
You should really fight it in court. It has very little chance of holding up.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 2:32 pm
This illustrates why I have so often counseled clients not to send cease and desist letters for negative online comments.

First, you have no case if what people are saying is true, their opinion, and not libel per se.

Second, you just amplify whatever you were trying to bury. I hadn’t heard the term Streisand effect but this seems to be happening here.

Sadie

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 2:33 pm
cheeseblintz wrote:
You should really fight it in court. It has very little chance of holding up.

Most likely it’s a bluff and they’d never take it to court.

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 2:36 pm
amother wrote:
This illustrates why I have so often counseled clients not to send cease and desist letters for negative online comments.

First, you have no case if what people are saying is true, their opinion, and not libel per se.

Second, you just amplify whatever you were trying to bury. I hadn’t heard the term Streisand effect but this seems to be happening here.

Thats so funny - this wikipedia article referes specifically to cease and desist letters. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik.....ffect

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 2:43 pm
Sadie wrote:
Most likely it’s a bluff and they’d never take it to court.

what bluff? we didn't see the letter.. it may not have included a threat to sue.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
The way I see it is, if it's ok for an MD to promote treatments that are ultimately harmful, then TR is equally permitted to do her thing.

My MD gave my child drugs that had short term benefits, but after a few weeks we noticed her blood sugar was through the roof, and her thyroid hormones had become messed up.
My own MD gave me steroids. Short term benefits, long term harm.

Same can be said for nearly all pharmaceuticals, and for many medical procedures. Have a friend, her dr directed her to do spinal surgery....a few days later she was feeling the harmful effects. A year later, she had another surgery to undo the first one.

There are short term benefits with long term harmful effects in much of life: antibiotics, Medical procedures. Medical treatments, TR's program, the keto diet, the vegan diet, this diet, the other diet, the sad diet, etc. etc. etc.

I don't have to offer up examples, I'm sure you have plenty to offer as well.

To be totally transparent: I have never been on TR's program, don't feel a need to. (I'm my own nutritionist Wink ). I don't know the woman or anyone affiliated with her company, have never met her or any of her coaches. I don't even have friends who've been on her program.

If anyone feels TR is promoting a harmful nutritional weight loss program, there's a way to report her to the proper licensing board. If someone has been harmed by TR's method, there's the possibility of suing. Just saying.

It’s not okay for an MD to promote treatments that are ultimately harmful.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 3:28 pm
amother wrote:
It’s not okay for an MD to promote treatments that are ultimately harmful.

If it is considered within the standard of care, then it is legal for an MD to prescribe a drug, treatment or surgery which could be risky.

Sadie

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 3:38 pm
amother wrote:
what bluff? we didn't see the letter.. it may not have included a threat to sue.

Usually cease and desist letters include a threat to sue.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 3:53 pm
Mommyg8 wrote:
I'm also on the accounting/CPA track... marketing is much more fun! If you're creative and think there's a market for a marketing degree (oh, that came out funny Confused ) why not go for it? I would think that accounting and marketing require opposite personality types, though...

The health field is probably more interesting than accounting. Hope things work out well in whatever you choose!

I’d say it’s time for you guys to take your conversation private. It has nothing to do with the topic. Thanks.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 4:08 pm
cnc wrote:
With such a large business, she most likely has a lawyer on retainer but I have a feeling the letter is just a scare tactic and she can’t actually sue for such a thing.

Either way, she's most likely paying the lawyer his hourly rate.

And sure she could sue, although that doesn't mean she is likely to win.

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 4:26 pm
amother wrote:

I wonder if it's considered a licensing violation for someone to put meaningless letters after their name, with the intent of making it seem that those letters represent a bona fide license or degree?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 4:26 pm
amother wrote:
Either way, she's most likely paying the lawyer his hourly rate.

And sure she could sue, although that doesn't mean she is likely to win.

Lawyers take a professional risk filing a suit with no merits... so its difficult to sue for just anything..

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 4:29 pm
amother wrote:
I wonder if it's considered a licensing violation for someone to put meaningless letters after their name, with the intent of making it seem that those letters represent a bona fide license or degree?

Which license would she be violating? you need to have a license, to be in violation of the terms of the license.

WhatFor

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
Which license would she be violating? you need to have a license, to be in violation of the terms of the license.

I get what you're saying but I don't think that's exactly so. There are various licensing associations in different states and they could make it a violation to hold yourself out as a (doctor / lawyer / engineer / whatever) if you do not qualify. I'm not 100% sure whether there can be charges associated (either fines or criminal) and maybe it's ultimately a law enforcement agency that steps in, but I don't think you just skate.

Wasn't there some kid in Florida or somewhere who kept pretending to be a doctor?

Also, isn't Yael in Canada? Can someone from the US sue someone in Canada for something that happened on their website? Does a US court have jurisdiction? Whose laws apply?

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:
Lawyers take a professional risk filing a suit with no merits... so its difficult to sue for just anything..

I wish that were true. Unfortunately there are plenty of lawyers who will take any case if the client is ready to pay. [** I'm speaking in general terms and not referring to any specific person here...]

Or they can explain to the client their opinion as to the low probability of success on the merits and have the client sign a release.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 5:31 pm
WhatFor wrote:
I get what you're saying but I don't think that's exactly so. There are various licensing associations in different states and they could make it a violation to hold yourself out as a (doctor / lawyer / engineer / whatever) if you do not qualify. I'm not 100% sure whether there can be charges associated (either fines or criminal) and maybe it's ultimately a law enforcement agency that steps in, but I don't think you just skate.

Wasn't there some kid in Florida or somewhere who kept pretending to be a doctor?

Also, isn't Yael in Canada? Can someone from the US sue someone in Canada for something that happened on their website? Does a US court have jurisdiction? Whose laws apply?

From what is says online, people from other countries can sue Canadians in Canadian courts and the US and Canada do have some common laws and agreements. I would imagine that one of the issues here is the fact that all of the posters are using screen names or anonymous so it is not possible to actually sue the writer of the defamatory review. Remember that defamation and libel is the spreading of possibly false information and not simply rendering an opinion. Being that Tanya can't sue the individual when that individual isn't revealing who they are, they are trying to establish that the website is responsible.
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise