Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Were you on a cruise during yeshiva week? share story!
1  2  Next

chulentalakiddush

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 5:00 pm
I heard this past Yeshiva week there was a regular cruise (maybe Royal Caribbean) that either left from Miami or NYC that ended up having such a huge kosher contingency that the cruise dedicated a special area for the kosher eaters e.g., making eggs for people in special tins. This was not organized in advance but they did it once they realized there was so much demand.
I've been on a regular cruise and we managed to eat pretty well between the packaged kosher meals, fruits and veggies and packaged foods like cereals, muffins, soft serve ice cream etc. But we were only a few kosher families. I would love to hear from anyone who was on this cruise what the experience was like.
Please share!

simba

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 5:32 pm
I was at work during Yeshiva week. No special stories..sorry Sad

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 5:54 pm
Please include your kids school and how much scholarship you get Twisted Evil

simba

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 5:57 pm
amother wrote:

If you are going to beat in someone have the guts to do it with your name.

penguin

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 6:16 pm
Please pardon my ignorance, but what is Yeshiva week?

iyar

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 7:09 pm
penguin wrote:

No clue either.
Is it like fashion week?
Fleet week?
Presumably no connection to the three weeks.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 7:12 pm
penguin wrote:

The week in January that most Jewish schools have mid winter vacation simultaneously.

doctorima

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 7:16 pm
penguin wrote:

It's a week (give or take) toward the end of January when many NY/NJ schools have vacation, at which point many families take off for warmer weather in Florida, on a cruise, etc.

iyar

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 8:09 pm
I have never taken my kids on a cruise when they had vacation from school.
Should I post this on the "Jealous" thread?
I'm not really jealous.
Maybe I should start a "Wracked with Guilt" thread?
Or was that dd on the "How often do you call your mother?" thread, saying she hardly ever calls because her mother ruined her life?
What

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:13 pm
amother wrote:

And if you ever wear Louboutins.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:24 pm
This went mean spirited real fast. I have never been on a cruise, and as a widow with kids, I am extremely unlikely to, but I don't understand why people are being so obnoxious to those who have, or would consider it. This is the opposite of what this site is supposed to stand for.

happyone

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 11:17 pm
I can use a yeshiva week NOW

Mommyg8

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
This went mean spirited real fast. I have never been on a cruise, and as a widow with kids, I am extremely unlikely to, but I don't understand why people are being so obnoxious to those who have, or would consider it. This is the opposite of what this site is supposed to stand for.

It was a joke! All in fun... come to think of it, a cruise sounds like just what I need right now LOL .

chulentalakiddush

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 10:29 pm
I didn't mean to offend.

I don't know anyone personally who went on this cruise and I was trying to crowd source with a wide and more diverse set of frum people to see if this actually happened or was an exaggeration.

And seriously folks, people can spend their money however they like. I feel like I have to say to you what I say to my own kids: we do what we do, and other people do what they do, and we make decisions based on what works for our family.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 12:21 am
So the cruise you the poster is talking about was a planned cruise from kosherica. I know they had one leaving Miami for Yeshiva week with Royal Caribbean. I actually took the kosherica cruise January 13th. This was one week later. To the widow that posted. We actually had 60 widows on the cruise. They all came for free through an organization (for widows Forgot the name) that paid for them. So never think it’s too far fetched.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 2:05 am
I was on a cruise! Royal Caribbean but not out of NYC. We didn’t have the special eggs or dining room but it was great because there were minyamin and we met new friends. It was our first time and we really enjoyed it.

To those complaining (on this thread and seemingly countless others) it’s all in your priorities and what you will sacrifice. I don’t have cleaning help, I buy second hand, work, and sale shop for groceries and we have meat only on Shabbos. When you do the same, you can take a cruise.

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 2:10 am
When you go on cruises that don't provide kosher food, what do you do for food? Does the cruise allow you to use a freezer, microwave?

Mayflower

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 2:21 am
My issue with taking a cruise is that it's about the worst thing one could do to the environment. The emissions are enormous and air quality on deck is heavily polluted. But hey, to each his own.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 2:25 am
amother wrote:
When you go on cruises that don't provide kosher food, what do you do for food? Does the cruise allow you to use a freezer, microwave?

Kosher food was provided. It’s prepackaged and double wrapped sealed meals that are reheated. There is kosher dairy available too.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jan 29 2019, 2:33 am
Mayflower wrote:
My issue with taking a cruise is that it's about the worst thing one could do to the environment. The emissions are enormous and air quality on deck is heavily polluted. But hey, to each his own.

I actually thought about the environmental impact while cruising. Lol. My conclusion was that each product or piece of clothing I buy from China comes across the sea in a cargo ship. And planes for that many people would take far more fuel. It wasn’t our experience of poor deck air quality, and I have a DC with asthma. The stateroom attendant explained about the trash sorting for recycling (AKA single stream) below deck. They use low detergent soaps. Toilets are vacuum so low water use. The only people that used disposables were kosher travelers! I don’t know how this compares to any other line or ship but that was my experience during yeshiva week.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics