Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
OOT - where to buy tefillin

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:23 pm
Hi we live (very) OOT and need to buy tefillin for our DS. DH thought he would be traveling to Israel before the bar mitzvah, and planned to buy them there, but now he isn’t. We need to order them from somewhere.

Where to get the best price and good quality? I’d like them to last and not fall apart in a few years.

Also, what is a good price?

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 9:36 pm
Price depends on many factors. depends if you're looking for a nice ksav, the yirei shmayim of a sofer- how mehudar and many other factors. so by saying a good price- it is a very broad range.
I would suggest your dh contact a sofer from isreal or ny or wherever he feels comfortable and discuss the options.
& mazel tov on the upcoming bar mitzvah!

Last edited by amother on Sun, Jun 10 2018, 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Apr 25 2018, 10:06 pm
I'm sure you can still order from Israel without going in person.

doctorima

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:12 am
So much depends on your budget, and you can definitely find for cheaper, but if you want to get him a nice pair that should last him a lifetime, I'd budget somewhere around $1500. Feel free to PM me for the name and # of an honest, extremely well-respected place in Brooklyn you can call to discuss your options and place an order. And mazal tov!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:11 am
doctorima wrote:
So much depends on your budget, and you can definitely find for cheaper, but if you want to get him a nice pair that should last him a lifetime, I'd budget somewhere around $1500. Feel free to PM me for the name and # of an honest, extremely well-respected place in Brooklyn you can call to discuss your options and place an order. And mazal tov!

Thank you! DH was figuring it would be around $1500 also, after checking out prices on hasofer’s website. That seems like a lot to me - what if DS loses them? I was thinking more like $750. But if he does keep them, I would like them to last a lifetime.....

doctorima

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:42 am
Well, only you know your kid. Obviously it's something that can happen to anyone - even adults - but it's important to make sure he understands how valuable and important they are, and that he's responsible to take care of them. $750 is also a lot to lose, and from my limited knowledge, tefillin in that price range may be substandard.

If you have specific reason to doubt your kid, that's something else, but otherwise, I would aim to get him nice ones that will last a lifetime, and then impart to him that now it's up to him to make sure they indeed last a lifetime.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics