Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
S/O people who own driveway she parking in the street

slpnsg

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:29 am
I rent a basement apartment in a single unattached home. There is a driveway that is large enough to fit 4 cars to a tight fit. When we signed a contract, our landlord told us that we can't park in the driveway as we both have two cars and it would make things complicated. There is space to park in front of the house so we agreed with the terms.
Now the problem we are having is that the landlord usually parks either one or both of their cars in those spaces in front of the house!! Whether out of convenience for themselves or to allow room for their children to ride bikes or play in the driveway, they will take the spots we need to use. That makes it necessary to sometimes have to walk partially down the block (not as far as you brooklyn residents but still too far for me :-)) schlepping groceries, heavy car seats and bags!
My question is- as someone who is paying you rent to reside in your space, do I have a right to complain? We arent asking yo park in your driveway and agreed to that even tho there is technically space. But now you won't let us park there and you are taking the spots in front of the house?? Is that fair?
When you make the decision that you want to rent out your basement, you need to understand that it will come along with some sacrifices and accommodations! You can't have your cake and eat it too!
Am I completely misunderstanding the situation? Looking for input.

watergirl

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:31 am
I agree with you. Park there when its open and if its never open, its time to talk to them.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:34 am
I think that's inconsiderate of them. I would voice my complaint.
(Hopefully they want to keep you as tenants and please you.)

slpnsg

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:43 am
allthingsblue wrote:
I think that's inconsiderate of them. I would voice my complaint.
(Hopefully they want to keep you as tenants and please you.)

Thanks for the validation. I feel like in this day and age everyone thinks they are entitled so I wanted to make sure my frustrations seemed valid to someone who is removed from the situation!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics