Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much money do you make?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 6:38 pm
about 160k combined. own a house. have about 100k in savings. 3 kids. full tuition bh. for now we r doing ok. no debt besides regular mortgage cars etc

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
I make $22k and my husband makes $210k. Lakewood- 4 kids

What does your dh do!

I’m assuming you’re a Morah with that salary

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:
What does your dh do!

I’m assuming you’re a Morah with that salary

Why? I’m not that poster but I make only a little more than that and am a professional, because I don’t work many hours.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:13 pm
My dh makes $85,000 a year. I make average $100 a month only, doing sewing for "pocket money" because I'm only a mother and wife.

We have a two year old, an olmost one year old and new baby coming soon.

He works for his father business and we live in apartment in their house only paying $1000 rental.

We're saving every extra money for a school we very much want for our oldest child.

My dh is having a problem with his father, he's the eldest son working there since yeshiva and even before and dh wants to be a half partner, but his father saying not yet.

We are lucky for our situation but dh isn't happy and wants to start his own business if no partnership because he's very good businessman.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:15 pm
amother wrote:
Why? I’m not that poster but I make only a little more than that and am a professional, because I don’t work many hours.

I was wondering the same.
I'm looking to work part time in an office (about 20-24 hours a week) and would make around 20-25000 a year.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:17 pm
4 kids, 2 in daycare, 2 in elementary school. We own our very small house (no family help) in Lakewood. We get a tuition discount, so that is managable. Our biggest expense is medications that are not covered by our insurance that cost us many hundereds of dollars a month. We have some cleaning help and treat ourselves (going out for pizza, occational day trips).

I make 120k.

DH is in school; his starting salary post graduation will be around 100k with good room for growth.

We are making it work, but things are very tight. It will be a relief to have two incomes when DH finishes school, but I know that expences only go up...

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:23 pm
amother wrote:
4 kids, 2 in daycare, 2 in elementary school. We own our very small house (no family help) in Lakewood. We get a tuition discount, so that is managable. Our biggest expense is medications that are not covered by our insurance that cost us many hundereds of dollars a month. We have some cleaning help and treat ourselves (going out for pizza, occational day trips).

I make 120k.

DH is in school; his starting salary post graduation will be around 100k with good room for growth.

We are making it work, but things are very tight. It will be a relief to have two incomes when DH finishes school, but I know that expences only go up...

May I ask what the two of you do/study?
Looking for options for dh and myself. We also live in Lakewood.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:36 pm
amother wrote:
May I ask what the two of you do/study?
Looking for options for dh and myself. We also live in Lakewood.

If you want to go under your sceen name I'll PM you.

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
If you want to go under your sceen name I'll PM you.

Please pm me Smile

Last edited by amother on Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:13 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Please pm me Smile

PMed you Very Happy

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:15 pm
Combined gross income around 350k
We live in an extremely highly taxed country (45% of our income goes to taxes)
2 kids, we pay full tuition and no mortgage on the house. Put away as much money as we can for retirement and kids‘ education funds.
We live well but not extravagantly.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
About 130k combined. 3 kids BH, live in monsey ny. We purposely live very frugally because we like saving money, and putting money aside for things we like to spend on. We have 100k in the bank that we squirelled away after BH buying our house a few years ago (no help from parents).

By living frugally I mean we rarely buy ourselves clothes, the kids wear 90% hand me downs, we make ourselves crazy to clean our house ourselves together, no cleaning lady, I dont buy new shaitels, dont use a shaitel macher even though I dont know much about setting wigs, do my own waxing, drive used cars instead of leasing ones that dont break down etc etc. We are purposely living in a much harder way than we need to because it was this that allowed us to buy our house, and we value being able to have money set aside for menuchas hanefesh over "regular" expenses like shaitel machers, cleaning ladies and new clothes every year.
we have 3 kids too, and are iyH moving to Monsey. How much money do you actually spend annually? (Not including savings) and can you please tell me how much you spend on mortgage? Trying to figure out if we’re frugal, how much $ we need, not including our mortgage.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:21 pm
amother wrote:
we have 3 kids too, and are iyH moving to Monsey. How much money do you actually spend annually? (Not including savings) and can you please tell me how much you spend on mortgage? Trying to figure out if we’re frugal, how much $ we need, not including our mortgage.

Keep in mind property taxes in Monsey are anywhere between 10k and in the 20ks annually, if you are purchasing a home

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:43 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Keep in mind property taxes in Monsey are anywhere between 10k and in the 20ks annually, if you are purchasing a home
you’re from Monsey- can you please throw me a number? Trying to figure out what kind of money we’ll need. 2 tuitions, 1 babysitter. Number not including mortgage.

thepickled

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 8:47 pm
May I ask what all of you do? If you are comfortable answering (or you can PM) I would be interested to know. I haven't completely decided on a career path yet but knowing salaries is definitely helpful.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 9:10 pm
amother wrote:
you’re from Monsey- can you please throw me a number? Trying to figure out what kind of money we’ll need. 2 tuitions, 1 babysitter. Number not including mortgage.

It depends on the school , some are much more than others. My last babysitter I used was a few years ago and she watched many babies at $5.00 per hour in her home. But by now I think it's at least $8.00 per hr in her home and $10 per hr and up if they need to come to you.
Food for my family of six weekly is approx $350 including Shabbos , challah etc.
Figure a minimum of $5,500 tuition per child but it can be way higher depending where you send
Utilities for a single family home , gas,
electric and water approx $300
If you will need a gardener that's another expense. Your grass has to be mowed all the time. We do it ourselves.
If you drive you will need two cars. Otherwise taxis are $5.00 local. But I live a 5 min drive from my job and taxis charge me $10 per way. It costs me about $20 per way to go by taxi to the doctors office.
Can't think of other costs off the top of my head that you should consider.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 10:15 pm
$180 combined in California, 4 kids, not enough

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 10:21 pm
This thread is making me feel mighty poor! shock

$135k combined, 5 kids.

BH it's more than enough for us right now. Live IT and we're VERY careful spenders by nature with the only exception being convenience. We feel it's worth it to spend a lil more on prepared foods and plastics since we both work very demanding jobs. But spend barest minimum on everything else.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 10:54 pm
We make approx $87000 between us.
Dh is a rebbi and I am a Morah. we both work in the summer and dh does tutoring on the side.

No its not enough to live on.
we live in an OOT big Jewish community, we have 7 kids bli ayin hara.

we struggle a lot financially but manage because the schools reduce our tuition bills with big scholarships, and our kids are on medical assistance. We get WIC but are not eligible for foodstamps, we earn too much for that.

The amother who wrote a long post a couple of pages ago expecting to be bashed: I totally understand why she expected to be bashed. Because unfortuantely I was bashed tremendously in the past when I wrote about our income. On this very website I have been told that we are sponging off the state by taking benefits, and sponging off the community by taking scholarship/tuition breaks. My detractors commented loud and long about how people in chinuch seem to think they have it coming to them, that they deserve benefits and tuition breaks and that all rebbeim get free tuition at their kids schools and gifts before yomtov. (Btw we dont get free tuition, nor does my husbands or my school give gifts before yomtov)

Lets just say, that somebody needs to be our communitys teachers and rebbeim! And BH my dh is a great educator... And yes of course we will need ot be given tuition breaks if we are being paid so poorly by the community! btw, our total tuition bills this coming year for 6 of our kids = $87,000. Which you might notice is exactly the same as our annual projected income! LOL, so now you all know why we realistically need tuition breaks...

oh, and I was also told here on imamother that I shouldnt have so many kids if we have such a low income. firstly, at the time of these threads, we had 5 children, not 7. But whatever the case, why would anonymous imamothers think that beacuase dh and I are mechanchim and give to the community, that we should not be allowed ot have a big family?!

So anyway, I hope I dont sound jaded or weird (I will probably get tons of passive agressive hugs for this post), but since that thread I have rarely posted under my username. It just isnt worth feeling attacked, I hvent felt totally 'safe' here since then Sad

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Apr 26 2018, 11:23 pm
We make about $65,000 between my job and DH's kollel check. We have 3 children and we are just making it. We dont qualify for programs besides for Medicaid for my children. We live quite simply and I'm praying and hoping that our income increases in the next few years!
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics