Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Peppermint oil for the stomach? (Long) help an anxious mommy

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 9:53 am
My daughter has been having stomach aches for almost 5 months now. In the 5 months she had strept 3 times and the flu 2x. The Dr did a whl huge checkup on her blood. He checked for liver and pancreas function, strept in the blood, celiac, and tons of other things. He took a urine sample. Everything came back fine b"h. He suggested I give her peppermint oil. I went to the health food store and all of them give you strict warning not to take by mouth.
Anybody ever heard of peppermint oil being good for ten stomach? Where can I get one that's safe to take by mouth?

(As a side point maniac anxiety mother I am, by testing the liver and pancreas function does it show that there isnt ch"v something seriously wrong?)
Also this week she's off dairy and anything spicy/acidic. She has to be off it for 2 weeks now.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 9:56 am
Stomach aches for which a source cant be found are very normal in children. BTDT.

It is often from anxiety. Are they more common in the morning and at bedtime?

zebra111

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 10:56 am
One of my kids had this too. Took them off dairy and tG not had stomach ache since. Hope this is as easily solved for u

naomi2

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 10:59 am
Can the stomach aches be cause by the antibiotics she was taking? Maybe try a good probiotic- from a good healthfood store. Make sure it comes from the refridgerator, the others aren't worth it. If it doesn't calm down maybe try an allergist?

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 11:11 am
amother wrote:
My daughter has been having stomach aches for almost 5 months now. In the 5 months she had strept 3 times and the flu 2x. The Dr did a whl huge checkup on her blood. He checked for liver and pancreas function, strept in the blood, celiac, and tons of other things. He took a urine sample. Everything came back fine b"h. He suggested I give her peppermint oil. I went to the health food store and all of them give you strict warning not to take by mouth.
Anybody ever heard of peppermint oil being good for ten stomach? Where can I get one that's safe to take by mouth?

(As a side point maniac anxiety mother I am, by testing the liver and pancreas function does it show that there isnt ch"v something seriously wrong?)
Also this week she's off dairy and anything spicy/acidic. She has to be off it for 2 weeks now.

I looked here for you https://www.koshervitamins.com.....rmint there is a gummy that has some peppermint oil in it.

amother
Cerulean

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 11:19 am
Was she on antibiotics for the strep times 3? That can do a number on the stomach. Prebiotics and probiotics can help restore beneficial flora, also fermented foods. Another option, there may be strep hiding out in her gut that the antibiotic hasn't touched. It would not show up in a blood test, and may or may not show up as titers. It is also possible that she is sensitive to gluten and/or dairy, even if it is not showing up on a blood test. You would need to eliminate for at a month, possibly longer to see if that is what it is. Ooc, why are you so worried about her liver and her pancreas?

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 12:28 pm
amother wrote:
Was she on antibiotics for the strep times 3? That can do a number on the stomach. Prebiotics and probiotics can help restore beneficial flora, also fermented foods. Another option, there may be strep hiding out in her gut that the antibiotic hasn't touched. It would not show up in a blood test, and may or may not show up as titers. It is also possible that she is sensitive to gluten and/or dairy, even if it is not showing up on a blood test. You would need to eliminate for at a month, possibly longer to see if that is what it is. Ooc, why are you so worried about her liver and her pancreas?

I'm not. But after 5 months of daily on and off stomach aches, my anxiety side of me is yelling there's a tumor ch"v hiding in there. Even though stomach aches are her ONLY symptom. My dr checked it without me even knowing. As part of the bloodwork he checked that too. He did a whl abdominal bloodwork check.

You're right abt the antibiotic. She got Tamiflu and antibiotics. Yes all 3x. Could be the stomach aches started out cuz of the strept and now the meds did the damage on the stomach. I didn't think of that. I'll do the probiotics. Thanks for mentioning it. I knew I can rely on you fellow Mommys for help Hug

amother
Pearl

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 12:29 pm
amother wrote:
I looked here for you https://www.koshervitamins.com.....rmint there is a gummy that has some peppermint oil in it.

You're so sweet and kind! Thanx loads!!

tichellady

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 1:21 pm
We have peppermint oil capsules that are meant to be taken for gas pain.

I had stomach pain my whole childhood. I think it was partially how my anxiety manifested and partially a real digestive issue. I am more comfortable about what I eat now.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 2:24 pm
How old is she?

I do think it's strange that he recommended peppermint oil before probiotics. I'm a total essential oil junkie but I'd sooner try probiotics for stomach issues after antibiotics.

Young Living makes an ingestion-safe, FDA approved peppermint oil (please PM me for referral number and ordering help if you buy it Wink ) and oils can also have benefits when applied topically. But peppermint oil is very strong so you should also look into the best ways to take it. I know people dilute and put it into capsules sometimes. Personally I like to drip a little into my drinking water. It is known to improve digestive health.

losingweight

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 2:28 pm
Can she have a parasite? Did you run stool cultures?

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Apr 27 2018, 5:06 pm
Careful taking peppermint oil internally. Try it yourself first so you'll understand how it can make you feel. It cools you off so you can get quite cold and chilly.
A functional medicine doctor may have some ideas.
Stomach aches can be emotional stuff. She may need some support such as play therapy or art therapy or sand play. Or some gentle holding of her nervous system, such as craniosacral therapy. Body oriented psychotherapy with the right person can be helpful. Look up Marta (I forgot her last name), read her book, she did body oriented therapy with children. Her book can give you ideas.

cheeseaddict

Post Sat, Apr 28 2018, 4:06 pm
I had this with my DD for three months - running back and forth to the Dr and she was also getting sick more often with flus and viruses.
Dr did a stool sample and it came back clean, but one day about a week later I saw a worm when cleaning her.
Gave her vermox and the stomachaches went away immediately.

Its not wonderful to give to kids indiscriminately, but may be worth a try!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics