Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Schools in israel
1  2  Next

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 12:28 pm
We are considering making Aliya in a few years, but there is one thing holding me back. I’ve heard that there are not many options for boys with adhd/odd/behavioral difficulties. Are there any high schools for such boys? It doesn’t need to be a special ed school, per day, but a school that won’t expect him to fit into a box.

heidi

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 2:05 pm
If YTA is still around that's what you're looking for. An English speaking high school for boys with learning and behavioral issues.

amother
Wine

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 2:45 pm
heidi wrote:
If YTA is still around that's what you're looking for. An English speaking high school for boys with learning and behavioral issues.

What does YTA stand for? Where is it located? What type (religiously) of boys is it for?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 2:59 pm
Of course YTA is still round. It stands for Yerushaliyim Torah Academy. There is a boy's and a girl's school, in different parts of jerusalem.
http://www.yta.org.il/

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 1:05 am
Can someone please tell me more? The website is not really very informative.

DrMom

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 1:10 am
There are many "regular" schools with a special ed class. Would that work?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 6:34 am
DrMom wrote:
There are many "regular" schools with a special ed class. Would that work?

It might. He doesn’t need it for academics, Bh. It’s for behavior. Are the special ed classes able to deal with that? Like right now we are dealing with him not being in class and not doing his work. And sometimes getting violent when he gets upset (but Bh that’s happening less and less frequently.)

chanchy123

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 6:37 am
What system would you be looking into?
How old will your son be?

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:38 am
chanchy123 wrote:
What system would you be looking into?
How old will your son be?

He will be going into 9th
I don’t know what you mean by which system. Do you mean where do we stand religiously?

Savta S

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 11:54 am
I am no longer at that stage of life, but I do know there are many options today that may suit you.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:55 pm
Savta S wrote:
I am no longer at that stage of life, but I do know there are many options today that may suit you.

Can you share some of those options with me please? From what my friends are telling me, there is plenty for kids with sever disabilities and with learning disabilities, but not so much for adhd/odd/behavioral.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 2:56 pm
Also can someone please explain how it works with services? I know it’s nothing like NYC....

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 3:20 pm
"but a school that won’t expect him to fit into a box."

There is a reason u r not getting a lot of responses..ur question strikes a painful issue for many olim.... The educational system for frum americans living here in EY is not simple... Message me and I will try to guide u..

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
It might. He doesn’t need it for academics, Bh. It’s for behavior. Are the special ed classes able to deal with that? Like right now we are dealing with him not being in class and not doing his work. And sometimes getting violent when he gets upset (but Bh that’s happening less and less frequently.)

I dont think a special ed class would help if he is fine academically. Sure many of the kids there have behavioural issues, but the main criteria in getting a '07' evaluation (code for special ed in high school) is serious learning disabilities. Most of the kids are academically very weak.
So he likely wouldnt get into special ed.
I actually wouldnt put him through the official committees to evaluate him, as they could force you to send to an official school for behaviour problems, and those are problematic. Best if you choose a 'special ' yeshiva on your own for kids who dont fit in the mainstream. There are lots of those.

mandksima

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 4:22 pm
I copied most of this.

Located in the Shomron: The Bnei Chayil Shomron Yeshiva High School provides a quality education for boys with ADD and ADHD (Attention Deficit (Hyperactivity) Disorder while ensuring a religious atmosphere and a full complement of Jewish studies.

(It has very few English speakers, I believe. It is religious but not charedi. -my words)

Description:
A warm environment for students in grades 9 through 12 who have a high intellectual capacity but have experienced broad categories of challenges: ADHD, ADD, learning disabilities, and emotional disabilities.

Almost all of the students earn a Bagrut certificate and continue on to Mechina programs and army service. Students can live in dormitory homes.

09-7921621
Email: bnh@bnh.org.il
Bnei Chayil

I know the new principal there who is great but I don't know much about the school. It may be totally not what you are looking for but it is good to see schools like this exist.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 4:24 pm
ProudMommie wrote:
"but a school that won’t expect him to fit into a box."

There is a reason u r not getting a lot of responses..ur question strikes a painful issue for many olim.... The educational system for frum americans living here in EY is not simple... Message me and I will try to guide u..

It’s been such a long time since I’ve been active here, I’ve forgotten how to message people!!

Savta S

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 5:18 pm
amother wrote:
Can you share some of those options with me please? From what my friends are telling me, there is plenty for kids with sever disabilities and with learning disabilities, but not so much for adhd/odd/behavioral.

I'm sorry I really can't as my youngest is well over 30 now. Also, my children were not educated in the chinuch atzma'I system. They all went to schools that were dati leumi, whether mamad (mamlachti dati) or Bnei Akiva. But today there are also streams in the regular schools to accommodate assorted issues. One of my girls was mildly learning disabled and went to a regular high school, where some of her classes were special. Incidentally, today she has a M.A. degree, and is quite successful in her chosen profession.

You might be better off seeking advice in Israeli groups. There are many on FB that would be more than willing to be helpful.

B'hatzlacha.

I also will add here, that although at the time it was a painful & frustrating issue to deal with, today I am very proud of the difficulties overcome & the accomplishments of my daughter.

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 5:58 pm
Savta S wrote:
I'm sorry I really can't as my youngest is well over 30 now. Also, my children were not educated in chinuch atzma'I system. They all went to schools that were dati leumi, whether mamad (mamlachti dati) or Bnei Akiva. But today there are also streams in the regular schools to accommodate assorted issues. One of my girls was mildly learning disabled and went to a regular high school, where some of her classes were special. Incidentally, today she has a M.A. degree, and is quite successful in her chosen profession.

You might be better off seeking advice in Israeli groups. There are many on FB that would be more than willing to be helpful.

B'hatzlacha.

I also will add here, that although at the time it was a painful & frustrating issue to deal with, today I am very proud of the difficulties overcome & the accomplishments of my daughter.

I don’t know what any of those are. We are only in the preliminary talking stages, so we haven’t gotten to the “where do we fit religiously” part of the conversation yet :-)

ProudMommie

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:55 pm
amother wrote:
It’s been such a long time since I’ve been active here, I’ve forgotten how to message people!!
...there is a pm by my screen name u click

Yitta

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 11:59 pm
Hi, My son is graduating this year from bnei chayil in Kedumim. (The school that was listed above.) I am glad to answer any questions you have. There are positive and negatives as wih any place but overall we are happy and my son is completing his bagrut.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)