Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What’s the next ‘in’ thing in kitchens ?
1  2  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 1:36 pm
Grey and white have been in forever. Is there a new trend on the horizon?

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 1:46 pm
Lol do you change your kitchen every 8 years to accommodate what's 'in'?

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 1:48 pm
No. I’m doing a kitchen soon and sick of the white cabinet , grey and white quartz look.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 1:49 pm
My DH is working at a kitchen manufacurer currently and white is the "in" thing. It may have been around for a while but it seems to have stuck .

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 1:51 pm
Jewel tones, dark green or navy especially. Gold-toned hardware. Statement faucets. Matte black.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 2:06 pm
Have fun. Ask yourself: will I still like these colors, and the other big not easily changeable things (vs. hardware, curtains, etc.) in 10+ years or will it seem dated or clichéd?

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 3:37 pm
Carrara Marble look, which is basically white and grey with gold touches, like in the pulls.
The problem is that gold tarnishes very quickly, at least where I live.

I just made a kitchen white cabinets, grey granite, stainless steel appliances, chrome pulls. I fell in love with what I picked.

https://I.imgur.com/vvJcJqx.jpg

Which brings me to the following. It doesn’t matter what’s in. If you like it, get it.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 3:47 pm
Honestly, I wouldn't go for the trendy look like white, grey, and stainless. Too much like everyone else, you'll get tired of it quickly, and in ten years it will be soooo dated. I would go for a style, like french country, or farmhouse, or tutor...depending on the style of your house. If you're living in a craftsman bungalow, get a beautiful arts and crafts kitchen bwith some stained glass, in warm honey tones. If you're in a basic ranch built in 1976, get a very traditional, timeless kitchen. You get the idea.

My sister in law recently bought a lot of new furniture. She got the grey tufted couch, the low white arm chairs with the nail heads, some mirrored end tables...to go in her basic box three bedroom split level - that trendy grey and white glam look just looks ridiculous in her living room! And she spent good money for something that not only looks out of place in her house, but will be totally off trend in a few years. But she didn't ask me for advice ; )

Good luck, choose wisely, it's a big $ investment!

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 4:44 pm
I put in carerra marble/a white kitchen a few years ago and it’s been in for at least 5 years or even 10 years. So a new trend is probably on the horizon lol.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 4:53 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I put in carerra marble/a white kitchen a few years ago and it’s been in for at least 5 years or even 10 years. So a new trend is probably on the horizon lol.

Yes, but now Marble is being mixed with golds
And greige (grayish taupe) is in

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 6:08 pm
White & Carrera are timeless. The gray & stainless are now. The stainless might stick. The grey is the trend. But it's neutral, so never so dated. Maybe pepole think they don't want to vomit in 5 years from last trend so they stick to timeless and neutral.

simba

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 6:08 pm
Stained wood. Someone I knew just did a navy kitchen. Not painted. So beautiful. I have also seen red. Buy some design magazines if you want to really see what is up and coming.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 6:41 pm
simba wrote:
Stained wood. Someone I knew just did a navy kitchen. Not painted. So beautiful. I have also seen red. Buy some design magazines if you want to really see what is up and coming.

Get the builders magazines.

erm

Post Sun, Apr 29 2018, 10:36 pm
I recently did my kitchen in a transitional sage green and beige. I found the modern look cold and uninviting. I am so happy that I went with my gut and didn't follow the trend.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 5:25 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Have fun. Ask yourself: will I still like these colors, and the other big not easily changeable things (vs. hardware, curtains, etc.) in 10+ years or will it seem dated or clichéd?

OP, read these words over and over again.

Anything that is in fashion will be out of fashion too.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 5:33 pm
I just did my kitchen with the white cabinets, marble white/grey counters, stainless appliances, a mirror backspash, but then went for a punch of color and make all the walls a bold rose color. I love it. grey walls are depressing to me.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 5:45 pm
I had no idea of the fashion when I designed my kitchen 6 years ago. DH and I just picked what we liked and we still like it.

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, but now Marble is being mixed with golds
And greige (grayish taupe) is in

Greige has been in a while Smile
Houzz.com is the best website for design ideas.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 1:31 am

Attention decorators and those with super good taste:

In stead of these painted cabinets, if I do light colored stained cabinets until the ceiling, perhaps with a beigey glaze to go with the granite, without the rope detail thats in this picture, and without the heavy raised panel cabinet look, in this picture.

Id choose a more transitional cabinet door, with the busy granite in beiges, with a really heavy ornate crown molding (Ive always loved a very ornate crown molding either acanthus or egg and dart, which very few people are doing for a long time), that they use in very traditional kitchens, is it a "dated" kitchen?

What would make it more new looking with the heavy ornate crown molding?

Do I have to give up the idea of traditional heavy crown molding if I want a 2018 look, or can I use it with a straightish door style, or will it look like a mismatch because heavy crown moldings match with very traditional raised panel doors? IOW, can I mix very traditional molding with a transitional cabinet door?

I used to love traditional kitchens like these with heavy crown moldings, but its totally not 2018. Now, Id like to do a compromise look.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Sep 12 2018, 6:14 am
Raised tile back geometric splashes are in.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics