Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Schools have owners?
1  2  3  Next

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:06 am
From the VIN article, it said the principal was also the owner of the school. I never knew that was a thing. Since when do school have owners? I’ve been in Jewish school my whole life BH and my kids go to Yeshiva, there are no owners! Can someone please explain?

ETA I’m asking in more general terms, not specifically regarding the school in question.

Last edited by watergirl on Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:11 am
Yes. That school is a privately owned school.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:13 am
Forget that particular school - my question is in general. How does that work when a school had an owner? I’ve never heard of this.

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:18 am
watergirl wrote:
Forget that particular school - my question is in general. How does that work when a school had an owner? I’ve never heard of this.

The way it works is that Mr. Owner doesn’t need to answer up to anyone because it’s his privately owned business. It’s a problem and that is why I would never send to a privately owned school. There’s no accountability.

I know that in Lakewood a lot of schools have owners but I believe it works differently. The whole town is structured differently (vaads etc) so there is accountability.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:19 am
I’ve literally never heard of a school that isnt a non profit with 501(c)(3) status! So what? One day someone decides to open a school? With what training? With what governing board?

cnc

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:23 am
watergirl wrote:
I’ve literally never heard of a school that isnt a non profit with 501(c)(3) status! So what? One day someone decides to open a school? With what training? With what governing board?

The couple of school owners that I know were either successful administrators or principals previously.
Note that being a successful administrator means that you’re an excellent businessman; NOT that you’re a good mechanech or principal...

All that’s needed to open a school is $$$$$$$$

Last edited by cnc on Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total

TwinsMommy

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:25 am
We have a local school owner who is simply...... rich.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:25 am
My DD went to a school that has a owner who is also the principal.

The results were horrendous. The verbal and emotional abuse was terrible. There is plenty on Imamother about this school

My kids are in all in schools that have board members

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:26 am
I guess if seminaries can do it...And same issues there, too.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:31 am
Wow. So my assumption is if the guy is in it for the money, there is little no no financial assistance?

losingweight

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:59 am
Every school should have a board. Even if the owner is principal. There must be a parent voice.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:00 am
https://www.haaretz.com/whdcMo.....67053

I wish my dd school was like this. I would pay so little tuition

amother
Wine

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:01 am
Schools that are under a Mosad/chasidus don't have owners. The neutral schools that private people opened have owners.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:02 am
watergirl wrote:
Wow. So my assumption is if the guy is in it for the money, there is little no no financial assistance?

It's a chassidish school, it can't be more than 4 or 5,000 a year for tuition. I went to his camp and it was much cheaper than the other camps girls in my class were attending. He also has a name for taking in a lot of nebuch families, so I doubt he's charging them much tuition.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:18 am
amother wrote:
Schools that are under a Mosad/chasidus don't have owners. The neutral schools that private people opened have owners.

Is this just a Brooklyn/monsey/lakewood thing that schools have owners?

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:26 am
watergirl wrote:

These schools are generally non-profits with 501(c)(3) status. They are generally classified as churches so their financial info is not filed annually. The owner/founder controls the institution and its funds. These schools may have boards but the owner/founder is generally not accountable to anyone.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
These schools are generally non-profits with 501(c)(3) status. They are generally classified as churches so their financial info is not filed annually. The owner/founder controls the institution and its funds. These schools may have boards but the owner/founder is generally not accountable to anyone.

If its for profit, then how?

leah233

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:35 am
Generally speaking the person who founded the school essentially owns it.

In the past schools were more "community owned" with a board of directors . The problems were that (1)the board of directors as outsiders frequently didn't understand the way things worked (2)since they had nothing personal to lose if the school deteriorated they made bad decisions. I can think of two very successful board ran yeshivos that ultimatly closed because of those reasons.

On another note board of directors doesn't really mean accountability. Take ...., a very well known community owned school. The parent body ,let alone the larger community, has no say in who is on the board and has no ability to determine the board's agenda.

What essential difference is there between the board owning the school and a private person?

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:38 am
watergirl wrote:

There in another non- profit status a school can be chartered under. It can be a religious organization. There are differences in teacher compensation.

There are for profit schools, but most Jewish schools aren't. They just call the people who control the school the owners. Technically they aren't the owners.

watergirl

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:40 am
leah233 wrote:
Generally speaking the person who founded the school essentially owns it.

In the past schools were more "community owned" with a board of directors . The problems were that (1)the board of directors as outsiders frequently didn't understand the way things worked (2)since they had nothing personal to lose if the school deteriorated they made bad decisions. I can think of two very successful board ran yeshivos that ultimatly closed because of those reasons.

On another note board of directors doesn't really mean accountability. Take ...., a very well known community owned school. The parent body ,let alone the larger community, has no say in who is on the board and has no ability to determine the board's agenda.

What essential difference is there between the board owning the school and a private person?

A school board does not own the school.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics