Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Good Enough Parenting Tricks
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7

allthingsblue

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 9:15 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I feel like I should respond regarding leaving my toddler alone in the bath. Thanks for your concern and bringing it to my attention. I no longer leave him alone. I honestly wasn’t aware how dangerous it was. I thought if I made sure to leave the water about 2 inches and constantly checked On him it was fine. I even asked my older more experienced sister, and she said it’s totaly ok, as long as I check up...
But now I see how concerning it is, and I’m glad to say I no longer leave him unsupervised.
I had to change my schedule around a bit, but I would never (intentionally) do anything to jeopardize my babies safety.

You are a good mother!
You put your child's safety ahead of
Your own convenience, and you're open to improving and learning new things. Very impressive.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 9:24 pm
My husband knows a family who had a toddler die in like 1 or 2 inches of water in the bath. They think he must have hit his head, fainted, and then drowned. Can never be too careful! I have often been tempted to run and get the camera when my son is being super cute in the bath (to video or photograph his face) but I wouldn't leave him for even a second.

giselle

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 9:35 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
I feel like I should respond regarding leaving my toddler alone in the bath. Thanks for your concern and bringing it to my attention. I no longer leave him alone. I honestly wasn’t aware how dangerous it was. I thought if I made sure to leave the water about 2 inches and constantly checked On him it was fine. I even asked my older more experienced sister, and she said it’s totaly ok, as long as I check up...
But now I see how concerning it is, and I’m glad to say I no longer leave him unsupervised.
I had to change my schedule around a bit, but I would never (intentionally) do anything to jeopardize my babies safety.

I’m very impressed that not only were you open to change, but that you also came back on to post about it. Keep up the great parenting!

observer

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 10:23 am
HeartyAppetite wrote:

So happy to hear this! Thank you for coming back to let us know, I was genuinely concerned. Good for you!

creditcards

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 9:52 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
As another teacher here... It is so common for kids to learn something, do it well, and then promptly forget it. Especially if you don't have that subject daily. If you don't do review homework, then you need to waste 10-15 minutes of class time each next class reviewing and accomplish much less. Minimal homework for kriah, reading, math, etc. Is definitely important. Also their are some skills that don't need reteaching but Judy continuous practice I..e multiplication tables.

Why do you call it wasting 10-15 minutes to review? I think the smartest thing would be to do away with homework all together and spend 15 minutes to review instead. My 7 year old comes home after 4 and goes to sleep at 6:30. Why should she need to spend her time at home doing homework? I never remind her to do homework. If she remembers herself I help her. I'm not a fan of homework. I also don't like it if her teacher yells at her for not doing homework. Give the child a break. I might change my mind when she gets older.

Last edited by creditcards on Wed, May 23 2018, 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

creditcards

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 9:58 pm
amother wrote:
Are you proud of that?

That doesn't even go into "good enough parent tricks," because there is nothing good about that. Halacha doesn't change according to your whims.

Of course, follow whatever your dayan says in regards to waiting, even if only a small amount of time. But don't choose to just skip over halacha that is inconvenient! Your kids need kashrus, structure and a mother who follows halacha more than they need the protein specifically at THAT MOMENT. I promise.

How do you know she didn't ask her dyen?Most people I know are not makpid until the kid is big enough to understand. Feeding kids healthy food is just as a big mitzvah. If you have kids who refuse to eat you jump at the opportunity when they want...even if it means not waiting...

lucky14

Post Wed, May 23 2018, 10:15 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:

wow I just want to say how impressive that is that you listened to everyone here and have stopped. It is so hard to hear others criticize something that we are doing. I know people here were very strong in saying how bad this is (and it is) and I'm so happy to hear that you've stopped. I'm sure it wasn't fun to read all our comments regarding this. Good for you. And thank you for updating us!

creditcards

Post Thu, May 24 2018, 12:43 am
amother wrote:
I made a spin off on hwk

I couldn't find your spinoff
Page 7 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7 Recent Topics