Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
What's on the Menu?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 5:22 pm
I want to cook for Shavuos on Sunday, what are you planning on making/serving. Meat, Dairy or Parve. I'm looking for ideas. What are yours?

elisheva25

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 5:34 pm
Meal that I am hosting I want to do a little bit of a Mexican theme not the typical dairy
Plan on making:
Fish tacos
Mexican corn salad
Stuffed jalapeños
Enchilada soup

agreer

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:00 pm
Mushroom onion quiche served with salad
French onion soup
Lasagna
Roasted veggies
Cheesecake

pesek zman

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 8:04 pm
So not on my radar. I barely have a Shabbos menu

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 3:39 am
pesek zman wrote:

Same. Although in the next week I have to at least start planning which meals we’re having guests or going out, etc.

Raisin

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 3:48 am
I haven't planned yet but I usually make some of the things on this list: Blintzes, mac and cheese, lasagna, eggplant parm, quiche, penne a la vodka, onion soup, cream of mushroom soup, salmon...

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 3:52 am
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....02577

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 4:13 am
pesek zman wrote:

The only thing I figured out this year is that I’m not making home made cheesecake. Yes it’s good. It’s delicius but so much work. And such a mess.

heidi

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 4:18 am
OMG-- It's a three day yom tov for you guys, right??? Oy. I'm already worried enough about my 2 day chag.

bargainlover

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 4:44 am
No menu yet but ideas for meals so far :

Soup:
Cream of Chicken soup
Mushroom soup

Salads:
London broil salad
Nish nosh salad
Terra sticks salad
Salmon cubes over pasta

Mains:
Kishka stuffed chicken
Onion chicken
Sesame chicken
Corned beef
Pulled beef
Minute steak

Sides:
Grilled veggies
Scalloped potatoes
Potato kugel

This is so far....

studying_torah

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 4:51 am
Love the Mexican style idea, how do you make fish tacos & stuffed jalapenos?

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 4:57 am
Should I start another thread? What about motzei Shabbos logistics? It's not like we can keep things warm.
Usually the first night is our milchig meal - salmon, Greek salad, blintzes (cheese, potatoes). I'm hoping it won't take long to reheat the blintzes, everything else will go straight from the fridge.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 5:31 am
so far....
fri eve - low key easy regular dinner (no soup)
shabbos - shnitsel kugal salt beef salads. also an easy regular shabb lunch
motsei - cheese and spinach blintzes to start. then lox and salads with focaccia. figured we wont be so hungry.
sun- side of salmon (use panko topping...stays nicely in fridge till sun and is moist) fish goujon, sesame linguine,greek salad..other salads. cheesecake and fruit. ice cream cones for the kids.
sun eve - ( no guests) pita and tuna and corn and salads and cheeses!!
mon- lasagne, mac and cheese(lots of kids coming), salads....may do some kind of pastry pinwheels(mush or spinach) these freeze well.
I dont cook on yt at all so only make things easy. will cook just thr mac and cheese fresh.
I dont serve starters except fri eve
not into killing myself for yt and certainly dont wanna be in the kitchen longer than necessary yt am (salads and table is enough work)

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 5:54 am
You're making me think and also realize I need to start planning and cooking Wink

DREAMING

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 8:06 am
Pot roast
Orzo and veggies
Strawberries and cream (not at the same meal!!!)

Not sure what else yet!

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 8:23 am
I usually start with making things I can freeze like soup, orzo, cabbage & noodles...

mommyhood

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 8:35 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Should I start another thread? What about motzei Shabbos logistics? It's not like we can keep things warm.
Usually the first night is our milchig meal - salmon, Greek salad, blintzes (cheese, potatoes). I'm hoping it won't take long to reheat the blintzes, everything else will go straight from the fridge.

It's the same as second night of any yontif. I plan a cold appetizer and as long as I leave my oven on 250 or higher the rest of the food is warmed by the time we get through kiddush, motzei and the first course. Make sure everything is taken out of the freezer erev Shabbos.

I'm planning on making challah and cheese blintzes this Sunday. I haven't gotten farther than that.

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 8:39 am
PinkFridge wrote:

I put up food on the plata in disposable pans and it takes really quick to heat up. The soup to goes into a disposable pan because in a pot it takes much longer. Main dish is something like thin sliced roast in liquid which takes really quick to heat through in an aluminum pan. We make side dishes that taste good at room temp.

bargainlover

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 8:53 am
ra_mom wrote:
I put up food on the plata in disposable pans and it takes really quick to heat up. The soup to goes into a disposable pan because in a pot it takes much longer. Main dish is something like thin sliced roast in liquid which takes really quick to heat through in an aluminum pan. We make side dishes that taste good at room temp.

Do you only use the plata for yom tov? I'd love not to leave the oven on as it makes my air conditioning run non stop. I'd put it on a timer so it won't be a safety hazard....

emunahmother

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 9:10 am
ra_mom wrote:
I usually start with making things I can freeze like soup, orzo, cabbage & noodles...

You can freeze cabbage and noodles? The noodles don’t get overly mushy and the cabbage release water when defrosting?
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics