Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do I need to be loud/outgoing?
1  2  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 9:59 pm
I'm more reserved when I'm with people I don't know. I'm easy going and friendly, but not loud, bubbly and outspoken (with strangers/aquaintances).

I used to work for someone, and asist them with all their needs. my quiet reserved side was actually a plus in that case. I quit about 6 months ago and now I am working on a new business idea, but I feel like my success will come from being more outgoing, louder etc... but that's not who I am!

Does anyone see my problem? I am not sure if I'm being clear.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:03 pm
why would you start a business that doesn't suit your strengths?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:06 pm
good question.

I have a hobby, which I'm debating if I could turn into a business. the actual skill I excel in, but the dealing with clients/finding clients, would require me to be outgoing

cbs880

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:13 pm
I have a similar problem. And I am considering hiring someone to run the business side of the business. That will free me up to get my job done, and also takes away the pressure of me having to be "on" the whole time, since I usually am not....

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:15 pm
I like that idea.

I just can't afford to high someone right now!

It's not that I don't like talking to people, it's just not easy for me to go making calls introducing my business or walk into a store and try and sell my skill

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:22 pm
amother wrote:
good question.

I have a hobby, which I'm debating if I could turn into a business. the actual skill I excel in, but the dealing with clients/finding clients, would require me to be outgoing

Got it. Is it something that can 'market it self' if you had the chance to show off the skill?

Like - say - event design?

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 10:56 pm
Yes it does market itself. But I have to be proactive into getting those initial clients.

Just thinking about being outgoing in my head and it seems so fake! I wonder if I could pull it off or it would seem fake to others as well!

People like working with outgoing super friends people, I get that

crust

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 11:22 pm
amother wrote:
Yes it does market itself. But I have to be proactive into getting those initial clients.

Just thinking about being outgoing in my head and it seems so fake! I wonder if I could pull it off or it would seem fake to others as well!

No. It wont seem fake.
I think you should stop over thinking the 'am I outgoing enough' part and just dive in. Get your feet wet!
Once you've done it a few times you'll be more comfortable.
Good luck.

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 11:28 pm
amother wrote:

Cold calling isn't fun.

word of mouth (combined with social media) will work best for you. If you are offering a service - can you do it for free for a friend?

crust

Post Mon, Apr 30 2018, 11:48 pm
amother wrote:
Cold calling isn't fun.

word of mouth (combined with social media) will work best for you. If you are offering a service - can you do it for free for a friend?

I think I misunderstood which type of business this is.

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 2:35 am
amother wrote:
I'm more reserved when I'm with people I don't know. I'm easy going and friendly, but not loud, bubbly and outspoken (with strangers/aquaintances).

I used to work for someone, and asist them with all their needs. my quiet reserved side was actually a plus in that case. I quit about 6 months ago and now I am working on a new business idea, but I feel like my success will come from being more outgoing, louder etc... but that's not who I am!

Does anyone see my problem? I am not sure if I'm being clear.

If your nature is very tzanua, please don't try to force yourself to be louder. It is a beautiful quality.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 3:59 am
As an effortlessly loud and outgoings person I very much admire people with more reserve. They command respect and trust. And somehow they seem smarter...
Unless you are socially awkward and cant articulate what you are offering then don't even look at it as a chisaron. It's a different style but has equal chance at being effective.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 4:36 am
Can you try printed and electronic marketing while you are in the early phase of the business? Once you begin to generate revenue you can hire a marketing person.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 6:23 am
I wouldn't call it cold calling.

but I have to get in touch with potential clients/busiesses who could use my services, otherwise they won't know about me!

I am going to open social media accounts for my bussiness, but its hard to get real interested followers (who will actually use my service as opposed to just "follow me")

I appreciate the comments viewing my nature as a positive. I am confident in my service, and I know it is worthwhile to hire me, but my reserved tone of voice may be a turn off. I would have to sound very ___ (full of myself, potentially obnoxious?, not sure of the word!). I'm not pushy enough, which yes, it general life I view it as a good thing, I like my personality when it comes to life in general. but in a business I feel like I need a bit more "loudness".

maybe it just comes from watching too many stories on instagram.

imasinger

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 6:43 am
Marketing, by definition, means putting yourself and your product out there.

I don't think that doing so makes a person untznius, if you have concerns about this, please AYLOR.

Two aspects of being uncomfortable with marketing are 1) the fact that telling people about something they haven't thought of on their own, that you are selling, can be inherently intrusive, and 2) some people just are shy and less inclined to talk to strangers about anything, let alone their "new baby" of a business, and risk both personal and professional rejection.

One idea to help with the first is that if your product is good, you are being helpful rather than a nuisance.

One idea to help with the second is to imagine yourself as an actress. The salesperson is a part you are playing, not the real you. If someone says "no thank you", it has nothing really to do with you as a person.

In either case, this is for many a skill that develops with practice. The more you do it, the better you get, and the easier it becomes.

Another alternative is to do what I did. Since we weren't dependent on the income of what I offer (music lessons), I was able to build slowly, over many years, by word of mouth. (At a minimum, you could ask friends and family to spread the word of your new endeavor. Maybe someone out there is a natural at this, and will get you started.)

But that works best if time is on your side.

Hatzlacha!

sanon

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 7:11 am
I want to second the idea that your mindset helps. A few years ago I started working for a consulting company. Part of my job required calling people in my professional network to see if they could use our services. At first I felt like I was asking for a favor. Then one time a former colleague helped me to understand I was actually doing him a favor by offering him a solution. That changed how I look at all my business conversations as an opportunity for me to be helpful and it helped me to be more confident in how I presented myself.

One more suggestion I have is Toasmasters or any similar organization that can help you learn presentation techniques. It didn’t change my personality which is still quiet but it gave me tools I can use when speaking to other people.

Good luck!

Culturedpearls

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 8:43 am
I’m an introvert by nature. I do not enjoy crowds, loud etc.
But necessity is the mother of invention.
In my business I run expo’s , talk in front of many people & give presentations. I learnt how to make small talk & in general act.
It’s not me . I’m acting.
I give myself time out frequently to compose myself. The acting does get easier.
Practice the “script” & be passionate about your work/product.
Hatzlocha

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:16 pm
ya, you all are nailing it on the head

I do believe in my service. I am passionate about it too. my family and friends are beginning to spread the word, but its going to need to be more than that

I feel like if I was outgoing and would just post stories all day on instagram people would begin to notice me.

how effective do you thing print ads are nowadays (the free ad magazines in every neighbrohood, jewish newspapers, and magazines like ami, bina or mishpacha)

amother
Brown

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:22 pm
amother wrote:
ya, you all are nailing it on the head

I do believe in my service. I am passionate about it too. my family and friends are beginning to spread the word, but its going to need to be more than that

I feel like if I was outgoing and would just post stories all day on instagram people would begin to notice me.

how effective do you thing print ads are nowadays (the free ad magazines in every neighbrohood, jewish newspapers, and magazines like ami, bina or mishpacha)

Are you targeting business owners, or consumers (non-businesses).

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 12:24 pm
it is a service that everyone can use, businesses and for personal use as well.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics