Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Gvina levana to cream cheese? How to

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 4:03 am
Do any fellow moms here in the Holy Land know how to make gvina levana into cream cheese? I bought too much for my cheese cake recipe and I'd love to turn the rest into cream cheese. (I know it has something to do with a cheese cloth and towel over the sink but I don't have a recipe)
TIA!

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 4:35 am
I make cream cheese from 15% shamenet. Buy a pair of knee-his, pour the container(s) in let it hang overnight over either the sink or a bowl. Tie it to the cabinet knob or the dishrack above the sink.
Thoroughly mix in some salt and you’re done.

Fir gvina levana, I use it as is. You could leave it out to get to room temperature, I find that it separates a little. Pour off the liquid.
But, why not just make more cheesecake?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 4:41 am
I won't swear it will be like original American cream cheese but this is what I got from American colleague of mine long time ago: 2 parts leben + 1 part regular sour cream (shamenet chamoutza, the regular version, not the extra heavy version you sometimes find). Mix all and dump it in a strainer which is covered either with a cheese cloth (I use the paper roll called 'rav magevet'). cover and put in fridge with a bowl underneath. Liquids will collect in the bowl over night.

You have white cheese. I suggest you mix cheese with sour cream and put it in the stainer as described above. The amounts? This you will have to experiment with. If you are looking for a heavy cream cheese I would go for 50/50. Maybe try with a smaller amount and see.

myname1

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 5:11 am
I mix equal amounts gvina levana and sour cream and salt, wrap in a thin cloth, and leave it to strain overnight (hanging over the sink from the draining rack). I used 500 g gvina levana, 500 g sour cream (2 containers- I think that's 500 g) and (I think) 1 tsp salt.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 6:10 am
Do u mind sharing your cheesecake recipe? I’m new here and not quite sure how to switch over my recipes. I’m thinking it’s better to use recipes from here.

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 6:14 am
Thank you so much everyone for the tips!

I dont want to make more cheese cake cuz one batch is more than enough calories for our fam Wink cream cheese I am happy to give my little ones in a sandwich....

amother
Red

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 6:23 am
amother wrote:
Do u mind sharing your cheesecake recipe? I’m new here and not quite sure how to switch over my recipes. I’m thinking it’s better to use recipes from here.

Welcome!
This is an absolutely delicious and easy cheesecake recipe to make (High in calories so in my house it happens once a year for Shavuot!!)
For the crust:
2/3 box of vanilla peti bar cookies (AKA tea biscuits) crush and add a half a stick of butter. Press down onto a 9x13 pan and set aside.
For the first layer:
Mix together until creamy and no lumps the following ingredients (You don’t even need a mixer, you can do it with a whisk in a bowl!)
750 grams 9% gevina Levana (3 small containers)
1 Tablespoon of corn flour
1 cup of sugar
3 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
Pour it over the crust and bake it for 45 minutes on 350 degrees.
It will come out of the oven jiggly – don’t worry, allow it to cool and it will be perfect.
Set it aside to cool and make the top layer:
2 containers of shamenet chamutza
Mix 1 tsp vanilla
½ cup sugar
1 tsp of corn flour
Pour over cheesecake when the cake is cooled and bake on 475 for five minutes.
Stick in fridge and enjoy! (also very freezer friendly)

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 8:05 am
Thank you so much! Can I ask what is shamenet chmutzah? Sour cream? Does it say that on the container and what size containers to buy?

Also thank you for translating the tea biscuits, I wouldn’t have figured that out.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, May 01 2018, 8:18 am
amother wrote:
Thank you so much! Can I ask what is shamenet chmutzah? Sour cream? Does it say that on the container and what size containers to buy?

Also thank you for translating the tea biscuits, I wouldn’t have figured that out.

shamenet chamoutza = sour cream
shamenet metuka = sweet cream
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen