Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Have to go back to work : ( vent
1  2  Next

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 2:43 pm
Wasn't sure where to put this, household management, working women, mental health. I stopped working a number of years ago once we had children- I have been so happy being at home. I was teaching and I cried almost everyday. I was miserable. DH opened a new business and it is not going well. I have to admit to myself that I need to back to work. Here is the baby in me- I just don't want to go back to work. I especially don't want to go back to the classroom- but that is all that I am qualified to do. I could work retail, but the salary would be less. If I had to choose a field I would either write children's books, but that would not pay the bills or do some DIY projects like buying furniture and repurposing it and selling it. I have no idea how to do that, but it takes creativity and I like being creative. Is it wrong/irresponsible not to get a job with the higher salary. I found a part time teaching job-= which would be perfect- except the thought of going back to the classroom makes me ill.
How childish do I sound? I feel like a spoiled brat. Do I just suck it up??? DH is working so hard and sooo many long hours, I feel I have to do my part. I am in awe of those of you who work and take care of the household. How do you get it all done???

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 2:51 pm
add to that, that I am really irritated with dh, because he was not interested in hearing my thoughts on the business endeavor. I think he was being to eager to make too much money, when we were doing just fine before. he kept talking about needing to grow or we would get swallowed up by bigger business. He was not interested in my telling him it was too much too quickly and he did not follow through on firing staff that was detrimental to the business. he is a big talker, but then when it comes to someone losing their paycheck we seem to take the hit . We are living off of savings right now and there is not much left. ugh ! I do not want to go back to work!

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 2:54 pm
As someone who started out teaching and ended up changing careers, vowing never to set foot in a classroom again: if the thought of teaching makes you ill, don't do it! Sure, lots of people go to jobs they hate because you gotta do what you gotta do, but there's a difference between an accountant continuing to do their job despite hating it and a teacher. Would you be ok with your child having a teacher who doesn't want to be there? Most people would not be. It's not fair to the kids.

The day I began to resent the kids was the day I decided I would not be returning the following year. I finished out the year as per my contract and that was it. I still didn't have a job lined up when the new school year started, but I still did not return to teaching. I ended up taking a secretary job that I was very overqualified for in order to bring in some money and also to not have a long gap in my resume, just until I figured out what I really wanted to do and found a job doing that. I didn't like being a secretary, but did it until I lined up the job I wanted because of course if you need to work, you work, even if you don't like it. But if that job involves children, then find something else of you don't want to be there.

zaq

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 3:19 pm
An adult does what needs to be done whether the idea is appealing or not. In the words of our foremothers, az me mum, muz men.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 3:24 pm
why don't you take over, and fix dh's business - and he goes back to employment.

sanon

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 3:38 pm
One thing you might consider is being an instructional designer for online courses. Companies that do this type of work hire former teachers all the time. Publishing companies also hire former teachers for this type of work.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:
why don't you take over, and fix dh's business - and he goes back to employment.

Haha! I am not licensed to do what he does- he is great at the job itself and his customers love him- but he can't do the business side and the job side very well together. And I don't have nay clue what all the business side of it is as again I don't have the training for it and it would take years for me to get it.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 3:42 pm
sanon wrote:
One thing you might consider is being an instructional designer for online courses. Companies that do this type of work hire former teachers all the time. Publishing companies also hire former teachers for this type of work.

That sounds right up my alley- I loved created the lesson plans- what would I even google to search for something like that. I wish I followed through and got my masters in curriculum development.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 3:43 pm
amother wrote:
As someone who started out teaching and ended up changing careers, vowing never to set foot in a classroom again: if the thought of teaching makes you ill, don't do it! Sure, lots of people go to jobs they hate because you gotta do what you gotta do, but there's a difference between an accountant continuing to do their job despite hating it and a teacher. Would you be ok with your child having a teacher who doesn't want to be there? Most people would not be. It's not fair to the kids.

The day I began to resent the kids was the day I decided I would not be returning the following year. I finished out the year as per my contract and that was it. I still didn't have a job lined up when the new school year started, but I still did not return to teaching. I ended up taking a secretary job that I was very overqualified for in order to bring in some money and also to not have a long gap in my resume, just until I figured out what I really wanted to do and found a job doing that. I didn't like being a secretary, but did it until I lined up the job I wanted because of course if you need to work, you work, even if you don't like it. But if that job involves children, then find something else of you don't want to be there.

I hear you on that!!! What did you end finding that you love...

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 3:45 pm
Are there any jobs working for imamother???

elisheva25

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
Are there any jobs working for imamother???

Lol !!!!
Wouldn’t we all love a job like that ??

amother
Mint

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 4:03 pm
You should take the job for now if you need the money.

sanon

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 5:12 pm
amother wrote:
That sounds right up my alley- I loved created the lesson plans- what would I even google to search for something like that. I wish I followed through and got my masters in curriculum development.

google "Instructional Designer" "Learning Designer" and "Content Development"
Also look at publishing companies: Pearson, McGraw Hill, Cengage
Good luck!

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
Haha! I am not licensed to do what he does- he is great at the job itself and his customers love him- but he can't do the business side and the job side very well together. And I don't have nay clue what all the business side of it is as again I don't have the training for it and it would take years for me to get it.

I bet it wouldn't - you were bright enough to figure out that the guy DH hired was no good.

I mean it sounds like desperate times now for you to get a job... to start having some positive cash flow in the house - but don't sell yourself short.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 5:54 pm
amother wrote:
I bet it wouldn't - you were bright enough to figure out that the guy DH hired was no good.

I mean it sounds like desperate times now for you to get a job... to start having some positive cash flow in the house - but don't sell yourself short.

aww thanks!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 5:58 pm
sanon wrote:
google "Instructional Designer" "Learning Designer" and "Content Development"
Also look at publishing companies: Pearson, McGraw Hill, Cengage
Good luck!

Thanks!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 6:25 pm
amother wrote:

I am a teacher and hate being in the classroom teaching. Id rather be a sahm, so I understand exactly how u feel op. But to this poster, I would want my child to have a teacher like me bc even though id rather not teach, I still do everything I have to do for teaching and the students.....once I have to do something, I work hard at it even if I dont want to work. Also, my supervisors would not let any teacher give less than 100%. They constantly micromanage but not in a positive way. I love working with kids but hate how some administrators let kids get away with bad behavior especially board member's kid. This may set the wrong tone.

Op, im sorry u have to go bac to work. Im so overwhelmed working but I do it to pay for basics. A lot of ppl do it, so can u!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, May 02 2018, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
I am a teacher and hate being in the classroom teaching. Id rather be a sahm, so I understand exactly how u feel op. But to this poster, I would want my child to have a teacher like me bc even though id rather not teach, I still do everything I have to do for teaching and the students.....once I have to do something, I work hard at it even if I dont want to work. Also, my supervisors would not let any teacher give less than 100%. They constantly micromanage but not in a positive way. I love working with kids but hate how some administrators let kids get away with bad behavior especially board member's kid. This may set the wrong tone.

Op, im sorry u have to go bac to work. Im so overwhelmed working but I do it to pay for basics. A lot of ppl do it, so can u!

Thank you for the chizuk!!!

amother
Red

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 7:30 am
OP, just curious because I am in a similar situation.
How long are you teaching? Did you always dislike it?

Miri7

Post Thu, May 03 2018, 10:33 am
I would take the job and make plans for a career move. You have an urgent need - fill that first. Then you can move onto a job you like.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics