Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Best OTC allergy meds....

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 7:31 am
ds (he is 13) allergies through the roof- we have tried allertec, allegra, CVS brand, zyxal, zyrtec , nasal sprays, benedryll and the list goes on. They don't help much or if they are I can't imagine how bad it would be otherwise- ds eyes are so itchy now as well. What has worked for your kids. We do see an allergist and maybe I need a second opinion cuz nothing has worked. According to all those skin tests ds only allergic oak pollen.

thunderstorm

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 7:45 am
For us Claritin or a generic brand of Claritin has worked the best for my DS age 12. He has terrible seasonal allergies. He finds relief within a half hour of taking the pill. It lasts 24 hours. He still sneezes and itches but the Claritin definitely eases the symptoms that he's not sneezing an entire day and his eyes are not swollen and itchy non stop

nosher

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 7:46 am
Claritin D but you need a prescription for it I think. Along with nasal spray and eye drops.

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 7:48 am
It's super hard even with meds.
But Claritin (D for decongestant since my sinuses are always inflamed) + Flonase works best for me. But even more important than that is keeping all windows and doors CLOSED. I get so sick when the windows are open. If it's warm I need to use air conditioning (with clean filters, especially change before you turn it on after the winter).

esuss

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 7:51 am
Nose spray. Eye drops. Allegra in the morning. sudafed decongestant. And Zyrtec in the evening. This is the peak allergy season for tree pollen should be over in 1-2 weeks.

monseymom25

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 7:58 am
Something important is to start a regimen of his meds before allergy season starts. My dd, under care of her allergy doctor, starts March 1 no matter what. She takes claritin in the morning, zyrtec at night. Singulair, and qnasal. Albuterol as needed. Sometimes she even needs benadryl if these all don't alleviate her suffering. At times she could not function. She has missed school due to allergies. What has helped has been to start before the season. Shower her off and change clothes when she comes in from outside. Keep the windows closed. Ask your doctor what to do if her meds aren't working she will have suggestions. Shes allergic to birch trees.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 9:30 am
We have been doing the Flonase, saline solution and allertec for several months now- none of it really helps. Will talk to the doc about the Claritin d.
We do have the air on and windows shut. Thanks for all the great advice.
Any specific suggestions on eye drops?

esuss

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 11:43 am
Nose spray should be started before allergies hit as its preventative meds. I also bought air conditioner filters that are rated for allergens. They are way more expensive but I feel that it helps my son with allergies. He has allergies to tree pollen and dust and molds too.

cozyblanket

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 11:49 am
Many allergy meds need time to build up to work properly. My son does zatador eye drops twice a day, rhinocort nasal spray once a day and zyrtec once a day.

SYA

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 1:29 pm
My son took Zyrtec in the evening, and alaway eye drops twice daily. Last year it worked. This year unfortunately it hasn’t. Doctor just switched him to Claritin and a different eye drops. It can take up to a week to start feeling relief.

His eyes are red and puffy. He looks like he’s been crying (last year his Principal stopped him and asked if everything is ok as he thought he was crying ). He does not play sports or go outside during recess. He stays inside because of his allergies.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 2:27 pm
If hes motivated to take active steps to help himself, you can suggest he cut out dairy and wheat and sugar (or all processed food) for a week or two to see if that makes a difference.

seeker

Post Fri, May 04 2018, 4:19 pm
If he only has one allergen, did you consider desensitizing shots?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics