Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How would you explain this to a teenager?
Previous  1  2

Ruchel

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 10:17 am
Because people may be tempted to switch the channel, the sound thing... But per se, it's not 100%

imasoftov

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 4:37 am
cinnamon wrote:
Yes I mentioned this is the chazon Ish's view I didn't have any sources for other opinions. Would love to hear them though can you share?

Here's a well-written summary of the opinions with reference to sources - http://www.daat.ac.il/DAAT/eng.....1.htm

I'll summarize even further the views about what prohibition one violates when turning on or off something that doesn't glow.

1) Molid (making something new). Note that this is not a melacha, it's derabbanan. The next five are melachot.
2) Boneh (building), and Soter (destroying)
3) Makeh bepatish (adding the finishing touches during manufacture that change something from useless to useful)
4) the sparks that are made when closing or opening a switch. Opinions vary if this is the melacha of lighting a fire or a rabbinical prohibition.
5) causing more fuel to be burnt at the power station
6) Bishul (cooking, one of the possible prohibitions involved with incandescent light bulbs or glowing heaters) internal parts of the appliance might get too hot to touch
7) Minhag. R Shlomo Zalman Auerbach's went through and rejected each of the above reasons and concludes that electricity is really permitted (unless something gets so hot that it glows) but one should not use it except in cases of great need because it's been prohibited for so long, even if wrongly and also were it to be permitted for things other than incandescent bulbs people would also turn those on.

cinnamon

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 5:02 am
imasoftov wrote:
Here's a well-written summary of the opinions with reference to sources - http://www.daat.ac.il/DAAT/eng.....1.htm

I'll summarize even further the views about what prohibition one violates when turning on or off something that doesn't glow.

1) Molid (making something new). Note that this is not a melacha, it's derabbanan. The next five are melachot.
2) Boneh (building), and Soter (destroying)
3) Makeh bepatish (adding the finishing touches during manufacture that change something from useless to useful)
4) the sparks that are made when closing or opening a switch. Opinions vary if this is the melacha of lighting a fire or a rabbinical prohibition.
5) causing more fuel to be burnt at the power station
6) Bishul (cooking, one of the possible prohibitions involved with incandescent light bulbs or glowing heaters) internal parts of the appliance might get too hot to touch
7) Minhag. R Shlomo Zalman Auerbach's went through and rejected each of the above reasons and concludes that electricity is really permitted (unless something gets so hot that it glows) but one should not use it except in cases of great need because it's been prohibited for so long, even if wrongly and also were it to be permitted for things other than incandescent bulbs people would also turn those on.

Thanks! This is great.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics