Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
San Diego help

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 2:03 am
So I have a conference there in the summer. I figured it would be a good idea to take my kids along. They're ages 1-17.
1- it's on a Thursday so if I stay for Shabbos there what are my options( dh can't join). Or should I rather go to LA- more options there?
2- what are must see attractions there? Besides the zoo and sea world?
3- what about the beaches? Where are the nice ones? We love the beach
4- is it worth traveling to LA for 2 days and flying back home from there or stick to SD area?

bestme

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 8:53 am
In the Marriott La Jolla there is a chabad rabbi that davens and makes a big kiddush with chulent on shabbos mornings. The chabad is called "chabad at UCSD". They are very nice, you could check out their website. Sheraton LA Jolla is 2 blocks away from the marriot. Ralph's is the supermarket in LA Jolla that had a very good and big kosher take out.

doctorima

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 10:21 am
Two main shuls there - one in La Jolla, and Beth Jacob near the college. LA certainly has far more options. SD activities - the zoo also has a safari, Legoland is quite unique, make sure to hike (easy walk) in Torrey Pines State Park, and https://www.speedboatadventures.com/ is LOADS of fun! If your time is limited, stick to SD; if you want to make a longer trip, you could add in Disney plus tons to do in the LA area.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 1:31 pm
Thank you so much!

One last question-

Should I do two days in LA and fly back from there or stick to San Diego? Which airport is easier to work with? I do want to do Disney if possible.

tichellady

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 1:33 pm
I would stick to San Diego, but it depends what you want. La is very different from San Diego but there can be a lot of traffic driving between the two. I hate Disneyland so can’t comment on that

doctorima

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much!

One last question-

Should I do two days in LA and fly back from there or stick to San Diego? Which airport is easier to work with? I do want to do Disney if possible.

It depends how long your trip is. San Diego has more than enough to keep you busy for 4-5 days, so if that's all you have, I wouldn't cut into it and would save LA for another trip. If you have longer and LA won't come at the expense of SD, then by all means go for it. LAX is WAY larger than SD's airport. It's more likely to have more flights, and direct flights, to your destination, but much larger to navigate. Either could work fine, so I wouldn't plan my trip around that.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 06 2018, 2:50 pm
Both SD and LA have a lot to do.

Disneyland is actually almost in the middle of LA and SD so you can get to it easily from either place but it's an all day affair. It might actually make sense to stay at a hotel on Disneyland as you can center the park early and you also have the ability to go to your room in the middle of the day and chill for a bit. My friend from Los Angeles would actually rent a room in a Disney hotel so that she could get the most out of her trip there in one day.

LA probably has more things to do than SD. When family with children visit me in LA, we will do SD for Seaworld and the SD Zoo - maybe overnight.

The issue is that you have a huge age span which would have very different interests I would think. The benefit to a place like Disneyland is that your older children can do the more exciting stuff by themselves and you can do the kid's stuff with the younger children. However, age 1 or even 2 or 3 is very young for Disneyland. My brother was fanatical about taking my niece to Disneyland when she was 3 and she didn't really appreciate it until she was five or over. Literally she would have been as happy (if not more) looking at flowers at the park because she had no understanding of who the characters were. When she was five and older she had lots of fun posing with Minnie Mouse and visiting Minnie's home and also on the stuff geared to younger children - I.e. not Space Mountain which my brother was desperate to have her like LOL. You could scare her by threatening that she would have to go on Space Mountain LOL.

You would have more than enough to do for a weekend in SD - I.e. two days but there are more iconic things to do in Los Angeles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics