Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What’s important to buy?

amother
Sienna

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 9:58 pm
Ok I have a weird question. Our money is running out..business going out of business..in the next few days I can spend up to few thousand dollars after that if I don’t spend the money we will loose it and we are not having a penny ( iyh we will find new job/business) quickly tell me what should I buy something important? Family of few lil kids.

[OP, please ask your Rav/Rebbe about the halachas of spending money that otherwise would go to pay creditors. Maybe your bankruptcy attorney too. And I wish you and your family prosperity in the near future. — Rubber Ducky as Mod]

Fabulous

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 9:59 pm
Cheap clothing, shoes, diapers, non perishable and frozen foods, school supplies, hosiery, glasses if you wear, gas card, pay some of your bills in advance like rent, utilities, car, metro car etc

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:01 pm
It’s kind of confusing what you wrote, it looks like you are asking how to spend money that’s not really yours (credit or debtors will get it) - so if that’s the case you’ll get lots of flack. If that isn’t correct, I suggest you edit your post for clarity.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:02 pm
Fabulous wrote:
Cheap clothing, shoes, diapers, non perishable and frozen foods, school supplies, hosiery, glasses if you wear, gas card, pay some of your bills in advance like rent, utilities, car, metro car etc

My DH knew we'd be tight in the beginning when he started his business so he prepaid most of our bills for half a year. It was fantastic getting utility bills with credit balances for more than a half a year.

flowerpower

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:05 pm
Riding toys/ bikes for the kids, shoes, hosiery, bedding, uniforms, kids furniture...
Pesach appliances
Grill, kitchenware like a Bosch/ Kitchen Aid

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:14 pm
What about spending it on amex and visa gift cards so u can use the money in the future?

OutATowner

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 10:52 pm
I was going to suggest gift cards.
The pay ahead utility bills is an excellent idea.
Think about what would affect you the most if you had to do without. Hatzlacha!

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 07 2018, 11:32 pm
I am not understanding why you can't put this money in a bank acct or an offshore acct so you have something to live off until you get a job.

If after a few days your creditors will take whats left in the business, I am not fully comprehending, why it is ehrlich or even halachically permitted to in essence stiff all the debt holders.

Unless it's a gov't job that grants you a budget yearly, use it or lose it

amother
Mint

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 12:46 am
flowerpower wrote:
Riding toys/ bikes for the kids, shoes, hosiery, bedding, uniforms, kids furniture...
Pesach appliances
Grill, kitchenware like a Bosch/ Kitchen Aid

Really? Ur gonna be poor so run get a Bosch?
I would buy in bulk food u use a lot, nosh for the kids and put it away. Clothing hosiery shoes. Pre pay for whatever u could like daycamp maybe.

momX4

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 6:49 am
Credit in your grocery store. Put as much as possible there.
Get amex gift cards

Dont buy "stuff", it's a waste

Classicookie

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 7:41 am
If you have any in daipers deff stock on on those and wipes and swimmers for the summer ( or a reusable one saves money and amazing) good idea to put money on a grocery account but also do dry good stock up like cereal and snacks. Look out for sales before you buy anything use cheaper brands if you can use coupons it will really help you pull though.

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 7:48 am
did anyone mention toilet paper?

boysrus

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
What about spending it on amex and visa gift cards so u can use the money in the future?

they usually have fees, but this week stapes has a sale on $200 visa giftcards, that they are waiving the fee. Officially its a limit of 1 per transaction or customer, but they told me I could buy as many as I wanted.

boysrus

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 9:54 am
southernbubby wrote:

that was a greenfire line! Smile

southernbubby

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:03 am
boysrus wrote:

uh oh, I stole her line Wink

greenfire

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 5:48 pm
southernbubby wrote:

boysrus wrote:

& I literally laughed aloud ~ twice !!! Nervous Rolling Laughter

yet I take toilet paper quite seriously & it's an amazing idea ...

amother
Peach

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 6:12 pm
pay bills in advance...tuition, camp, gas, electric, grocery store account, gift cards. Don't buy stuff you don't need like toys.

All else fails buy a very expensive item(s) from store with good return policy and return in a couple of weeks. (obviously don't use it) eg a watch, jewellery, clothing.

amother
White

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 6:14 pm
I would put money on the mortgage if you own a house.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 10:42 pm
If this is a legit question... I would make sure everyone has enough clothes plus underwear, socks, bathing suits, etc. etc. for the next few months, or more.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics