Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Trust Your Gut
Previous  1  2

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 12:12 am
Some ERs are just awful. I really had to learn to advocate for my child, and GO TO A DIFFERENT ER IF I DON'T LIKE THE CARE AT THE FIRST.

I may have saved DD's life like that - we were discharged from an ER, but things were NOT right. I drove 35 minutes to a different hospital, and they had her on oxygen within seconds of me walking in the door. Spent a good few days in the PICU.

dveikus

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 9:52 am
amother wrote:
Good to trust your gut, but when it's a non-emergency on Shabbos, call a regular ambulance, not hatzola.

Umm, if weren’t an emergency, why would she break Shabbos and call any ambulance at all?

rydys

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 1:15 pm
amother wrote:
Good to trust your gut, but when it's a non-emergency on Shabbos, call a regular ambulance, not hatzola.

If it's not an emergency, there is no heter to call an ambulance.

If it is an emergency OR IF ONE IS NOT SURE IT IS AN EMERGENCY, it is better to call hatzola than a non-Jewish ambulance.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
Some ERs are just awful. I really had to learn to advocate for my child, and GO TO A DIFFERENT ER IF I DON'T LIKE THE CARE AT THE FIRST.

I may have saved DD's life like that - we were discharged from an ER, but things were NOT right. I drove 35 minutes to a different hospital, and they had her on oxygen within seconds of me walking in the door. Spent a good few days in the PICU.

:-(
Which ER did not take you seriously?
So sorry for what happened to you. I hope you sued the first hospital.

heidi

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 1:51 pm
My wonderful former pediatrician told me that he always trusts a mother's intuition. If the mother takes the time to schlep the kid in it's obvious that she is seeing symptoms. . .

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 2:01 pm
My sister is a pediatrician and she's very into mother's intuition. She once told me of a case (with no info about the patient - patient privacy is very important to her) where she sent an infant patient to the ER because she trusted that something was wrong based on the mother's feeling (lethargy, refusal to feed, etc...) and the ER did not want to do the tests she requested - they didn't take the doctor seriously! It was on a Friday, and she went down to do them herself - and her suspicions were correct. The child could have had serious kidney issues, but B"H was tested quickly and needed only antibiotics and observation. Had they waited over Shabbos.....

Ema of 5

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:

What would be considered non emergency?
If a woman is miscarrying and is in a lot of pain but has minimal bleeding....is that an emergency?
If someone needs stitches, but a few hours won’t make a difference....is that an emergency?
Bad cough?
Dizziness?
Persistent migraine?

If one thibknthey need hatzala, there is no reason not to call. The wait time for a regular ambulance can make a difference between life and death, even if you don’t THINK the situation is an emergency. It can go from non emergent to emergent quite quickly. Hatzala is there to try to make sure that wait time is minimal, so that the change, if it were to occurs, doesn’t have fatal repercussions. No one is breaking any halachos by calling hatzala, even just to ASK if something is an emergency. If one has a Jewish pediatrician, would you also recommend not calling them?

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 8:45 pm
amother wrote:
Wow..what a story. Good job, mama.

My thoughts:

1. Did he recently get a rota-virus vaccine? Intussusception is a documented side effect.

2. I am saddened by all the self-doubt mothers have, and angered because I don't think fathers have the same self-doubt. You know why? Because they are taken more seriously. Not quite the same story as this, but when it comes to women's own pain, they are perceived to be "hysterical" and not believed as compared to men. See for example https://www.theatlantic.com/he.....0515/

I too had a contorted ovary

Went to ER in excruciating pain that was worse than all my labour pains.
The morphine given to me did not even help one iota.
Waited hours & hours in ER moaning and groaning. and was looked upon by the nurses there with such dismay & head shaking. After 3 hours I finally had an ultrasound which showed a cyst has burst & my whole ovary was twisted. Still had to wait another 2 hours but was taken a lot more seriously. Had to have emergency surgery lasting 3 hours. Removed one ovary & Fallopian tube.
My husband was too meek to stand up for me. So I don’t know if it was b/c I was a woman. Who knows??
But it was horrible.

Sorry to hyjack this thread 😔

amother
Lime

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 10:01 pm
Except sometimes when you trust your gut and insist that something is wrong with your child, they call CPS on you. Just saying...

amother
Violet

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 12:47 am
amother wrote:
Except sometimes when you trust your gut and insist that something is wrong with your child, they call CPS on you. Just saying...

I think that's only common with Munchausen by proxy parents...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 9:28 am
amother wrote:
I think that's only common with Munchausen by proxy parents...

Which the hospital staff diagnoses without testing. All they have to do is call the CPS hotline and say mom has munchausen. And because they're the doctors they are believed. Mom is guilty until proven innocent.

Orchid

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 9:38 am
amother wrote:
Which the hospital staff diagnoses without testing. All they have to do is call the CPS hotline and say mom has munchausen. And because they're the doctors they are believed. Mom is guilty until proven innocent.

Yes, that happened with the famous Justina Pelletier case in Boston Children's.

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 9:41 am
rydys wrote:
If it's not an emergency, there is no heter to call an ambulance.

If it is an emergency OR IF ONE IS NOT SURE IT IS AN EMERGENCY, it is better to call hatzola than a non-Jewish ambulance.

Why is it better to call Hatzalah?

amother
Lime

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 11:54 am
amother wrote:

Yes, this.

Especially for a child with rare, invisible, or chronic illness.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 4:31 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, this.

Especially for a child with rare, invisible, or chronic illness.

My son had a rare, mostly invisible illness and I never had CPS summoned each time I went in, and he went quite a few times, and some of the time he appeared 100% okay, save for a little weak.

amother
Lime

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 4:37 pm
amother wrote:
My son had a rare, mostly invisible illness and I never had CPS summoned each time I went in, and he went quite a few times, and some of the time he appeared 100% okay, save for a little weak.

Count your blessings.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics