Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Met Gala Christian theme
Previous  1  2

Fox

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 4:44 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Can you just imagine a gala dedicated to "Portraits of Mohammad"?

Pamela Geller actually did that, if you recall. And for her efforts, she was nearly killed and still lives with a very credible fatwa. Her adult daughters were recently doxxed and now must have constant security, too. At one point after the doxxing, she considered giving up her crusade and making aliyah.

I didn't particularly agree with the premise of Geller's "Draw Mohammad" event, but it shows the craven cowardice of the Met and its benefactors. Let's face it, Roman Catholics are unlikely to shoot up the offices of Vogue or bomb the museum. They're a safe target to make fun of -- even more so if you can con their leadership into going along for the ride.

It's important to remember that there is absolutely no difference between Anna Wintour and the man who made the obnoxious video of the little Chassidish boy that was discussed previously. No, I take that back. The man who made that video actually apologized for being stupid and using bad judgment. I'll be waiting for Anna Wintour to do the same.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 4:45 pm
simba wrote:
So that's what I meant to say but my IQ is about 1/4 of yours so I simply couldn't pull it together!
Will it get creepy if I compliment each of your posts?!

Sorry Simba, but I am Fox's number one fan. You'll have to fight me for the position!

I am working on an app that will track all of her posts and "like" them for me, so I won't wear out my fingers.

Fox

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 4:49 pm
simba wrote:
So that's what I meant to say but my IQ is about 1/4 of yours so I simply couldn't pull it together!

No, I'm not necessarily smarter. I just jealously guarded my place in line when Hashem was handing out English language abilities. I got plenty, but the trade-off was that I spent no time at all in the lines for other languages, cooking, general balabusta skills, or physical fitness. That's why Imamother is perfect for me! Very Happy

simba

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 4:52 pm
Fox wrote:
No, I'm not necessarily smarter. I just jealously guarded my place in line when Hashem was handing out English language abilities. I got plenty, but the trade-off was that I spent no time at all in the lines for other languages, cooking, general balabusta skills, or physical fitness. That's why Imamother is perfect for me! Very Happy

And your humble. G-d d*** it, she is perfect!

simba

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 4:55 pm
Fox wrote:
I'll be waiting for Anna Wintour to do the same.

Not happening unless her position is threatened.

Fox

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 4:57 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am working on an app that will track all of her posts and "like" them for me, so I won't wear out my fingers.

Fortunately, I do not have to worry about believing my own press. Neither Drusilla nor Prunella will join Imamother, despite my urging.

Druscilla finally said she might be willing to join "just for the recipes," but Prunella is steadfastly refusing. I believe her exact words were, "I'm not going to join Imamother just to go around clicking 'like' to whatever stuff you're ranting about on any given day."

I retaliated by refusing to give her the recipe to Bas Hinda's chocolate torte, but it was a weak response, I admit.

Fox

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 5:28 pm
simba wrote:
Not happening unless her position is threatened.

The rumors have been circulating for a while that she might leave Conde Nast, but I have a hard time envisioning it. I'm pretty sure she's a vampire. At the very least, I think her interns get old and die in her place. Kind of a Dorian Gray thing going on, maybe.

Anyway, apparently the people with actual money are unhappy that the celebrities hang out in the nasty bathrooms to smoke and do drugs. Marc Jacobs' fiance Char Defrancesco and model Slick Woods certainly look like they're feeling no pain.

Daily Mail

simba

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 5:40 pm
Fox wrote:
Anyway, apparently the people with actual money are unhappy that the celebrities hang out in the nasty bathrooms to smoke and do drugs. Marc Jacobs' fiance Char Defrancesco and model Slick Woods certainly look like they're feeling no pain.

Daily Mail

And here I thought I was the only lowly creature who reads the dailymail! You ain't that Perfect after all Fox!

They invite those celebrities, it is a invitation only party.

zaq

Post Tue, May 08 2018, 8:14 pm
Hey, I was offended by the display and I’m not even Christian.

merpk

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 4:53 am
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm trying to figure out WHY she did it.

Maybe it was to counter the criticism of Gal Gadot playing Wonder Woman because she's an Israeli. Lynda Carter was most famous as Wonder Woman, of course.

Has she been interviewed about it yet?

I've chosen to believe that she was doing it (the "never forget" thing in particular) because the Gala being about a Catholic Church exhibit, and the Church has through its history slaughtered huge numbers of Jews very specifically for being Jews.

Yeah, honor the Church and acknowledge the exhibit in the museum, but also know some history of what you're honoring.

And never forget.

And oh my L!rd does she look gorgeous. Talk about aging beautifully..... wow.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 6:52 am
Interesting short article on the event here: https://www.heyalma.com/jewish.....00549

yo'ma

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 7:47 am
In my opinion, a terrible article, but than again, it's Vogue. Teen Vogue
Quote:
Such claims expose a lack of understanding about what cultural appropriation actually means: By definition, appropriation is predicated on a power imbalance. Much like the fraught concept of reverse racism, reverse cultural appropriation isn't a thing — and marginalized groups can't appropriate the culture of a dominant group.

IMO, such nonsense!!
Quote:
What's more, cultural appropriation implies a lack of consent and participation, like when sikhs unknowingly serve as muses for high-fashion collections on the runway. That's simply not the case for the Met Gala. This year's event was essentially sponsored and endorsed by the leaders of the Catholic church. Alongside the aforementioned donation from the Vatican, several Catholic priests even attended the ball as honored guests.

The things I hear about this pope, how liberal he is, his approval doesn't mean much in this sense.

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 8:50 am
yo'ma wrote:
In my opinion, a terrible article, but than again, it's Vogue. Teen Vogue
Quote:
Such claims expose a lack of understanding about what cultural appropriation actually means: By definition, appropriation is predicated on a power imbalance. Much like the fraught concept of reverse racism, reverse cultural appropriation isn't a thing — and marginalized groups can't appropriate the culture of a dominant group.

IMO, such nonsense!!
Quote:
What's more, cultural appropriation implies a lack of consent and participation, like when sikhs unknowingly serve as muses for high-fashion collections on the runway. That's simply not the case for the Met Gala. This year's event was essentially sponsored and endorsed by the leaders of the Catholic church. Alongside the aforementioned donation from the Vatican, several Catholic priests even attended the ball as honored guests.

The things I hear about this pope, how liberal he is, his approval doesn't mean much in this sense.

I agree with you that it is utter nonsense. People so far have the freedom to dress any way that they choose and if they dress in a way that others disapprove of, that is their choice as well. That is, however, what I absolutely hate about Facebook and why I deactivated it. Everyone has an extreme position and a teenager who dressed Chinese was 'virtually' assaulted by a few thousand 'virtuous' people who view themselves a morally superior. To me, it would have just been the girl's choice and her taste in clothes and anyone from any culture is free to wear whatever they like, if they live in America.

That being the case, if someone were to dress up as provocative versions of specific characters from the Tanach, it would be offensive because these holy people lived their lives as the exact opposite.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 8:59 am
Fox wrote:
Fortunately, I do not have to worry about believing my own press. Neither Drusilla nor Prunella will join Imamother, despite my urging.

Druscilla finally said she might be willing to join "just for the recipes," but Prunella is steadfastly refusing. I believe her exact words were, "I'm not going to join Imamother just to go around clicking 'like' to whatever stuff you're ranting about on any given day."

I retaliated by refusing to give her the recipe to Bas Hinda's chocolate torte, but it was a weak response, I admit.

Do you have to be logged in for that?
You may have to up the ante.
Oh, and have your daughters sign an agreement that you are not responsible for destroyed keyboards: they've got to move the mug before reading your posts.

southernbubby

Post Fri, May 11 2018, 9:02 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Do you have to be logged in for that?
You may have to up the ante.
Oh, and have your daughters sign an agreement that you are not responsible for destroyed keyboards: they've got to move the mug before reading your posts.

I have a daughter who reads but does not post because her hands are BH usually full. (Hi honey Wave Good morning how is your erev Shabbos going? Ttyl)

merpk

Post Sat, May 12 2018, 2:23 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
I'm trying to figure out WHY she did it.

Maybe it was to counter the criticism of Gal Gadot playing Wonder Woman because she's an Israeli. Lynda Carter was most famous as Wonder Woman, of course.

merpk wrote:
Has she been interviewed about it yet?

I've chosen to believe that she was doing it (the "never forget" thing in particular) because the Gala being about a Catholic Church exhibit, and the Church has through its history slaughtered huge numbers of Jews very specifically for being Jews.

Yeah, honor the Church and acknowledge the exhibit in the museum, but also know some history of what you're honoring.

And never forget.

And oh my L!rd does she look gorgeous. Talk about aging beautifully..... wow.

Netta. "Don't you ever forget" in the female (l'olam lo tishkekhi). And she played Wonder Woman. As in the song Netta is singing on Eurovision, with the lyrics "Wonder Woman don't you ever forget."

I love Netta. And now I officially love Linda Carter. LOL

etky

Post Sat, May 12 2018, 6:46 pm
merpk wrote:
Netta. "Don't you ever forget" in the female (l'olam lo tishkekhi). And she played Wonder Woman. As in the song Netta is singing on Eurovision, with the lyrics "Wonder Woman don't you ever forget."

I love Netta. And now I officially love Linda Carter. LOL

Apparently, Europe does too.
לשנה הבאה בירושלים!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics