Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
3.5 year old wont wear anything with pockets

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:21 am
I bought my daughter a summer wardrobe and she wont wear any skirts or dresses that have pockets. We got through the week till now because she wore winter some days and summer days but now I want to put away the winter! This is cheap stuff from oldnavy/kohls/childrensplace. Do I insist she wears what she has and fight the battle or should I just buy her some new skirts without pockets. I have another daughter 2 yrs younger than her so the clothes will hopefully get some use.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:22 am
amother wrote:
I bought my daughter a summer wardrobe and she wont wear any skirts or dresses that have pockets. We got through the week till now because she wore winter some days and summer days but now I want to put away the winter! This is cheap stuff from oldnavy/kohls/childrensplace. Do I insist she wears what she has and fight the battle or should I just buy her some new skirts without pockets. I have another daughter 2 yrs younger than her so the clothes will hopefully get some use.

What's her reason for not wanting pockets? Can you just sew them shut?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:33 am
amother wrote:
What's her reason for not wanting pockets? Can you just sew them shut?

The reason is that she is 3.5!!!! I cant just sew them shut because she would still see them. It wouldn't cost me more than $50 to buy her new stuff but the idea kind of bothers me that I would buy her new stuff when she has perfectly good stuff to wear.

erm

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 10:43 am
She is 3.5. She might decide tomorrow that she only wants to wear pockets. I wouldn't fight it. Get her a couple of skirts without pockets. Pick your battles!

Moonlight

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 11:01 am
I wouldn't fight it. It doesn't even sound like a sensory thing.
Next week she won't wear anything with blue
Maybe show her she can carry candy or a toy in the pockets

amother
Plum

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 12:29 pm
so interesting. My dd that age LOVES pockets. She got the skirts as hand me downs from another little girl who also loves pockets. I totally believe you that your dd doesn't. Each kid has their own taste and opinion to put it mildly Wink Can you show her how you can make the skirt fly out to the side if you put your hands in your pocket. My dd thinks that it so so super cool and therefore prefers the ones with two vs one pocket Wink How you can hold stuff in the pocket. Have people show her how much they love their pockets. At the end of the day it's probably not a battle worth fighting but you might want to hold off a week and try again, it might be a very short phase, or not. With that age you never know!

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 12:30 pm
Either stick through it, or get cheapy skirts without pockets

mandksima

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 4:06 am
What if you sewed them up and cut out the pockets from the inside? It would be like a fake pocket they make in women's clothes sometimes.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 4:36 am
I would put a prize in the pocket one day, and make a big deal about finding it, and how wonderful pockets can be.

Ruchel

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 4:46 am
Love it allthingsblue.

I myself certainly wouldn't start sewing and cutting and stuff. These skirts will be outgrown soon.

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 7:13 am
I ended up ordering her some more skirts from ChilrensPlace. I happen to love the stick a prize in the pocket idea. I think I'll try it even tho I bought more skirts. My 5 year old insists on wearing long pants every day...maybe ill stick a small thing in his shorts every day to convince him to wear them!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers