Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
When do your girls stop wearing pants
1  2  3  Next

chocolatecake

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 1:25 pm
When do you put your daughters in only skirts?

My oldest is in Nursery (3 yr old). Her summer 2017 wardrobe was pants but when I bought her for the this past winter it was all skirts.

flowerpower

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 1:28 pm
My girls want to wear skirts at an early age. So at age three they usually wear it officially.

erm

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 1:45 pm
I would stop buying pants at about 2 and they would stop wearing them somewhere between 2 and 3.

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 1:46 pm
I'm not there yet but likely first grade (6)

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 1:51 pm
I don't put them in pants but don't care if they come back from daycare in them or something, until 3. I send to a school where the cut off is 3/ gan alef. I am not carefuly with covering a knee until MUCH later, so on this I let the school decide what skirt to cull rofl

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 1:54 pm
five or primary (pre-1-a)

ETA: In kindergarten, they didn't wear pants to school because no one else was. But they wore on days off.

ETA: I identify as middle-of-the-road yeshivish.

Last edited by Chayalle on Thu, May 10 2018, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

GetReal

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:02 pm
Third birthday.

gold21

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:07 pm
I stop putting on pants for the most part at kindergarten age (age 4.5-5)

Just following what seems to be the cultural norm around here, no specific halachic basis... And it makes sense to me, it honestly feels just-right to stop around age 5.

Of course not included pajama pants, which can be worn much longer

Last edited by gold21 on Wed, May 09 2018, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:11 pm
erm wrote:
I would stop buying pants at about 2 and they would stop wearing them somewhere between 2 and 3.

OOC, why would you stop before they are 3?

pesek zman

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:17 pm
Ruchel wrote:
I don't put them in pants but don't care if they come back from daycare in them or something, until 3. I send to a school where the cut off is 3/ gan alef. I am not carefuly with covering a knee until MUCH later, so on this I let the school decide what skirt to cull rofl

You only put your babies in skirts and dresses? From birth?

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:26 pm
I don't know if they will. Our school forbids pants for girls starting at age 4, but does not set any rules for how they dress outside school. I wear pants myself, although I have certain tznius requirements for pants that make it hard to find suitable ones. Right now my oldest is not even in kindergarten yet, so I have time to think about it.

amother
Oak

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:39 pm
We start but are not 100% strict at age 3.
By age 5 100%.
I have them wear thin cotton shorts under their skirts.
IMO Young girls are more tznius in pants than skirts that ride up.

keym

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:42 pm
I follow R Simcha Bunim Cohens shitta which is when girls start being aware that pants are for boys and skirts for girls- around 3-4.
But then I stop plain pants but often do skirts or dresses shorter than the knee with leggings which I find easier for little girls to handle going to the bathroom rather than tights.

finallyamommy

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:43 pm
Following the advice of a friend of ours, DH is insistent that we start our daughter in skirts from when she can walk well, so it was somewhere around 12-18 months. Now she's a bit over two and only wants to wear skirts anyway, though when it's cold we'll put pants under them.

keym

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:48 pm
finallyamommy wrote:
Following the advice of a friend of ours, DH is insistent that we start our daughter in skirts from when she can walk well, so it was somewhere around 12-18 months. Now she's a bit over two and only wants to wear skirts anyway, though when it's cold we'll put pants under them.

Out of curiosity, why? What would be the benefit of insisting on skirts for a baby.

mha3484

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:57 pm
I have boys but when my oldest was in 3 year old play group in a pretty yeshivish group it seemed like alot of the girls started the year in pants and by the end of the school all were wearing skirts or dresses. They were all 4 or close to it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 2:59 pm
pesek zman wrote:
You only put your babies in skirts and dresses? From birth?

Lots of onesies, onesies with a skirt, onesies with a tunic...
but yes, if they get dressed, skirt and dress.

Moonlight

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:10 pm
3 by me

amother
White

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:16 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Lots of onesies, onesies with a skirt, onesies with a tunic...
but yes, if they get dressed, skirt and dress.
can I ask why ? Is this for halachic reasons?

Chayalle

Post Wed, May 09 2018, 3:19 pm
keym wrote:
I follow R Simcha Bunim Cohens shitta which is when girls start being aware that pants are for boys and skirts for girls- around 3-4.
But then I stop plain pants but often do skirts or dresses shorter than the knee with leggings which I find easier for little girls to handle going to the bathroom rather than tights.

So the short dresses/leggins is sort of the same by me....pants. I stopped them at 5/primary. But in kindergarten, the girls were all wearing knee-length dresses with tights or socks, no leggings, but I still put that on them on Sundays, etc....
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics