Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Did You Lie About Home Internet Access?
1  2  Next

Did you lie about home Internet access in order to get your kids into a certain school?
Yes -- I have home Internet and said that I do not  
 57%  [ 4 ]
No -- I do not have home Internet  
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

Hannah!

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 7:37 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hannah!

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 7:38 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Clarissa

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 7:41 pm
I guess I would have replied the third option, which is that the school never asked. I wouldn't have applied to any school that would care, because it wouldn't have been a good fit.

I believe that when we interview at schools, it's also us interviewing them. If they ask questions that I can't answer honestly and still have our kid have a chance of being accepted, that means the school is wrong for us, and vice versa.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 7:43 pm
On those forms, the schools usually adds in parenthesis 'except for business use' which for some people it is the truth, and others will stretch the truth a bit - meaning if they sometimes shop things on line so its sort of business use Confused

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 7:44 pm
Two years ago when I registered my son, I crossed out their "no internet-access" and wrote "internet for parents only."
Last year when the form came it said, "internet access for parents only."
LOL.

I could never lie, but honestly the school pretty much sets you up to.

Hannah!

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 7:46 pm
edit

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 7:53 pm
crazy...

amother

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 8:02 pm
I wrote that I do have the internet they called in my hub for a meeting, they made us get the jnet which we did and was fine for a while, it started giving me problems, so my hub informed them that we are changing back to regular internet.

Squash

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 8:07 pm
I would've chosen the third option. The school did not ask. Two chasidish schools.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 8:28 pm
My son's yeshiva didn't ask. They did write in the info booklet that internet is forbidden in the homes of their students and nobody should convince themselves that that statement doesn't apply to them.

but they didn't ask outright, because the vast majority of the families don't have it at home and would be shocked to even get such a question.

jba

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 9:12 pm
I find this whole concept fascinating (although it doesn't apply to me at the moment since dd is just 1). Why would a parent send their child to a school where the haskafa is very clear -- they want to minimize the outside influences -- and then lie about it? Why not find a better fit for the school/child/family if they don't agree with, what I think is a pretty important rule? What kid of message does this send to the child, who I am sure is aware of the rule? It's ok to lie?

Obvioulsy not all families will fit the school to the T, but on something seemingly to 'big' shouldn't they?

Hannah!

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 9:22 pm
edit

jba

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 9:37 pm
Thanks for the response. I am a bit niaeve in this aspect, as dd isn't wuite there yet. My 15 year old couin lives with us at the moment (she is quite MO and goes to a school than B"H fits her quite well). I asked her how she would feel if we or her parents sent her to a school that did not allow internet and we lied that we did not have. Her response was that it would be very strange for her to be in that situation becuase having us lie would mean to her that the school wasn't the right fit for the family -- this was without my prompting.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 10:11 pm
the application I filled out for my son for next year said, "children do not have access to the internet."
so they're not restricting us, just the kids. PHEW! (now a video here and there on youtube doesn't count, does it?? we're accessing it for them)

Hannah!

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 10:27 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Tue, May 06 2008, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 10:56 pm
sometimes I will put on uncle moishy clip from youtube, etc...

Bzgirl

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 10:56 pm
Ooops I voted wrong---I thought it was no, they didn't ask us on the application. But I think when you come for an interview they tell you that they prefer you don't have internet access.

chavamom

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 11:15 pm
I don't think any of the schools here even ask.

On second thought, I think I heard that the new yeshiva asks that the boys not have access.

grin

Post Thu, Nov 08 2007, 11:27 pm
I told my sons' yeshiva that we do have internet (I could say for business use - but that's not entirely true, so I didn't); they asked him himself to not use it which he said he would. (It's been a real challenge for him - the site he access mainly is chabad.info!)

miriamnechama

Post Fri, Nov 09 2007, 12:11 am
I don't say at all also for other reasons.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics