Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Safe place to put the baby
1  2  Next

Yael

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:25 pm
I need a safe place to put the baby down where I can rest assured that my other kids cant get to her. the swing happens to be the most unsafe spot for her. they push her really hard, load toys on top of her and dovi even tried climbing in on top of her!!
any ideas?
you have no idea how many times I have put her in the bouncer only to hear her scream b/c dovi is sitting on her or levi is surrounding her head with his metal trucks. I cant count the number of times she has gotten knocked on the head and she's only 4 weeks!!!
Poor girl!! Rolling Eyes

proudmom

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:29 pm
put the baby in your room while you sleep and use the baby moniter so you can hear her if she cries.

nicole81

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:30 pm
can you put her on a cradle gym inside her crib or pack n play (if you have one)

myomi

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:31 pm
her crib is the safest,make sure the bars are up so the boys can' t get it,or put her in a carseat wherever you are,even hold her in a snuggli,which she will love.good luck.

RedVines

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:33 pm
I was just going to say that the pack and play seems the best- except if they can climb!!

I once left my daugter in a swing for a second and somehow she was covvered in stickers on her head and face, what little sisters have to put with!

hmmm maybe you need to invest in one of those carriers and hold her up in safty!!

stem

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:36 pm
Just keep her in a car seat or snuggli and carry her around with you at all times... When she is sleeping, put her in another room and close the door. I was terrified to leave my toddler with the baby even for a minute because of the things you descibed.

Yael

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:38 pm
my boys are climbers. if I put her in her cosleeper (thanks to you guys for it Wink ) they can easily climb on my bed to reach her. even if I put her on the table they climb on chairs to reach. they just love her!! what can I do?!!
I've tried camouflaging her so they cant find her. and that has worked. I would put her in my bed and fluff up the blanket and position pillows so that you cant tell there's a baby in there. but then they ask about her.

I also put her in my room and close the door and hope and pray they wont go in. but this only works if she's sleeping deeply, otherwise she needs to be near me so I can soothe her if she cries.

Tovah

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:41 pm
I used to put shmuly in a seat on the table-or on my bed. but maybe put her in a room and put up a gate

Yael

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:48 pm
levi can climb over the gate. but he's good with her anyway. its dovi who doesnt know how gentle he needs to be. today I put her on the bed while I cleaned up and while I wasnt looking dovi climbed on the bed and lay flat on top of her!!!!!!
oy vey!!

Mommy912

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 2:52 pm
Yael wrote:
I've tried camouflaging her so they cant find her. and that has worked. I would put her in my bed and fluff up the blanket and position pillows so that you cant tell there's a baby in there. but then they ask about her

Yael you are funny, I'm cracking up. I can just picture it. You'd better start teaching your daughter some self-defense moves..
I've been there, done that, and I'll tell you that it will I"YH stop as soon as the novelty of the new baby wears off. In the meantime, try a baby carrier or putting the baby in an infant seat someplace high. There are special malochim watching over these little babies. Try to let your boys be involved in her care as much as you can.
Good Luck.

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 4:00 pm
yup, I went through the same thing (and still am). b"H early on, my toddler wasn't climbing. so I would leave the baby on the table in a seat. could you move the chairs away so he can't get on the table?
now, if she hears the baby waking up, she'll run to where he was sleeping and shout "HI ____ !" the baby freaks out. how would you like someone shouting in your face when you just woke up?

lucky

Post Mon, Aug 08 2005, 9:21 pm
I kept my baby in a carriage,and wheeled her around whare ever I went. It was the only way to keep her safe from her 3 brothers.

Sara Esther Crispe

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 9:45 pm
Don't mean to scare you, but my friend had her baby on the bed, and in literally a second, the older brother (who was not even able to climb u[ himself since he was so small) grabbed the blanket, gave it a huge yank, and the baby went flying to the floor. B"H she survived, but it was a very close call.

I would definitely do the baby monitor thing or make sure she is in the crib and the kids can't get to her. Bottom line is that either they or she must be supervised at all times, because it doesn't take much for a well-meaning toddler to hurt a newborn. When you are sitting with them, that is the time for them to play together, kiss her and even "hold" her. But when you are not, then she needs to be someplace they can't get to her. Hatzlacha!

Tefila

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 9:53 pm
Yael if I was u I would have her in u'r room in the crib or playard w/h a monitor and close the door w/h a toys r us safety round handle or a simple hook and eye closure. So the boys don't have access to her. And be strict w/h them no is no when it comes to the baby . Since you can't supervise her 24/7 With a monitor you can hear or view her as soon as she wakes up. What

Last edited by Tefila on Fri, Nov 04 2005, 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 10:15 pm
Yael, kn'h -- your kids sound adorable -- and talented! Hatzlocha raba!! (Now you're getting me nervous....I'm due in Dec bE"H and my son with be less than a year and a half...perfect "climbing age")

baily cohen

Post Wed, Sep 14 2005, 10:37 pm
Hi Yael. My baby is 4 weeks also and my sons name is Dov:) I am going crazy with the same issue. My son picks the baby up and brings her to me. A few days ago he knocked the swing down onto the floor while she was in it. I am terrified he will hurt her chas vshalom. anyway good luck to us:)

Emuna

Post Thu, Sep 15 2005, 12:25 am
Hi Yael,

My son just turned 8-months and my daughter 23-months. For the first six months or so of my son's life we discovered this great technique because our daughter is a major climber and LOVES her brother. We put the bouncer or small travel swing on the upper level of the pack and play. No need to lower the level to the "playpen" area below. This really worked! That was "his" place and somehow she just knew - not like on the table or bed. Upstairs he could go in the crib, but I always kept the pack and play downstairs near the kitchen.

Now they play together beautifully on the floor, but in the beginning they really needed that separate space.

Hope this helps!

supermom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2005, 6:51 am
I used our bassinet that has a net that zips up this way as much as they try to throw into the bassinet they won't hurt the baby it helped also with the climbing in too.

IndyMom

Post Fri, Sep 16 2005, 8:14 am
Yael, I am going through the same thing with my 2 boys an dmy baby girl. We have baby gates throughout the house in almost every doorway. I can put my baby upstairs and have my door shut, and the top and bottom baby gate shut on the steps. My 3 year old figured out how to open the gates, but I think alll those obisticals reallly don't interest him. If hse is downstairs in the swing in the kitichen, I lock the kitchen gate, put the kids in the living room, and lock that gate too.

Ima-to-angels

Post Sun, Sep 18 2005, 7:38 am
I wish I had some ideas for you and I wish I could say that it gets better, but it hasn't for me! My 2.5yr old has so traumatised the baby (now a year old) that she cries when she seems him coming towards her. He hits her, lies on top of her, smacks her over the head with his toys. He tries to pick her up (by her neck and has almost strangled her), climbs into her crib, force feeds her and now she is standing, he pushes her over. The thing is, he adores her and most of the time he is trying to show his affection, he just doesn't get it that that's not the way....

He never did any of this stuff when she was little (a couple of months old), it started when she was able to move around/sit up etc. I can't moniter them 24/7, and if I have to go to the bathroom or s'thing, I put her in her crib which is still the safest place.

She is learning to stand up for herself and she will grow up tough for sure!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics