Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
S/O Kitchen Flops
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 8:48 am
I didn't want to minimize the op's distress on the cracked cheesecake thread, but as I was reading it, my own flops came to mind.

My biggest cheesecake flop: I forgot to take the paper wrapping off the farmer cheese before blending it all. I didn't realize until I took my first bite and got a mouthful of paper shreds embarrassed

What were your biggest kitchen flops?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 9:04 am
I cooked a huge meal for about 20 guests for a Friday night . I made multiple main dishes and side dishes, kugels etc. it was all in the oven to keep it warm until the Seuda. I go to serve , and discovered I never turned the oven on!!!!!

OutATowner

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:07 am
I didnt separate eggs for sponge cake. Just threw the ingredients in. It was a very wet, squishy, yellow sponge.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:11 am
recipe called for coffee and I threw in 2 raw tablespoons of coffee instead of diluting it first. can't remember if the recipe didn't say to mix in hot water first or not...

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 11:31 am
One Pesach I had A LOT of left over charoset which I figured I'd repurpose into a "coffee cake" (apples, nuts, cinnamon - seemed like a good start). I think I added eggs and potato starch (perhaps some vanilla or baking powder?) and baked it. It was NOT GOOD.

jjudithc

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 12:12 pm
Putting 2 Tablespoons of salt into the challah dough instead of 2 teaspoons. We really didn't need the dipping portion of the ritual that night. *sigh*

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 12:26 pm
jjudithc wrote:
Putting 2 Tablespoons of salt into the challah dough instead of 2 teaspoons. We really didn't need the dipping portion of the ritual that night. *sigh*

This reminds me of my mother's flop. My kids went to her for a Shabbos and she was so excited she decided she'll bake them a cake. They all took a bite and spit it out. She accidentally put in a cup of salt instead of a cup of sugar.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 12:37 pm
I made DH a goose. On my way to the table carrying the platter in front of him and our guests, I dropped it.

Chayalle

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 12:44 pm
My worst flops have involved accidentally substituting baking soda for baking powder. I'm careful now only to buy baking soda that comes in a rectangular box, not a round one that resembles the baking powder.

mommyla

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 1:14 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
This reminds me of my mother's flop. My kids went to her for a Shabbos and she was so excited she decided she'll bake them a cake. They all took a bite and spit it out. She accidentally put in a cup of salt instead of a cup of sugar.

I'm always curious about how this happens. Does she keep salt in a container like sugar? I scoop out sugar and pour salt, so measuring them out are different experiences.

I have a friend who lost the top part of her rubber spatula while mixing cake batter and couldn't find it, she figured it must have gotten thrown out. While serving a piece of cake to her soon-to-be-husband, she found it baked in!

heidi

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 1:57 pm
All my Shabbat lunch food was balanced on the plata. We were having a new family in the community. Everything slipped. The kugel in the glass platter shattered. The chicken tipped and was mostly salvageable. Thank goodness I had loads of salads. . .

mandksima

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 3:08 pm
These are so hard to read, I'm horrified that each of you had to go through that!

At the same time, I am sure it was such a chessed that they DID happen and it saved you from a worse punishment. You each must have done a great mitzvah to turn your suffering into something minor like a cooking accident vs a health issue, CVS.

Anyway, I remember making mint ice cream and forgetting that the brand I usually bought of mint flavoring, I also bought a lemon flavoring of the same looking bottle so I never bothered checking the front of the bottle. The ice cream wasn't even edible as it had lemon flavoring, green color and chocolate chips, maybe a little vanilla too.

I remember dropping a fresh apple cranberry crisp onto the floor shortly after we got married. I think I scooped up the parts that didn't touch the floor and dh and I ate it.

I've put cinnamon on chicken thinking it was paprika but honestly, it is pretty good on chicken just not in the amount I used.

I'm married almost 20 years so I must have lots of stories but I guess I never focused on them too much. Like when breaking a glass, you say mazal tov and move on, knowing it was a kapara.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 3:48 pm
I once baked a chocolate cake specifically for the house to smell good since people were coming over
Well, I didn’t realize that I doubled the baking soda and the cake spilled all over my oven causing my house to smoke and smell terrible

I also once used cayenne pepper instead of cinnamon in a sweet lukshen Kugel... surprisingly it was fine - I still don’t get how

amother
Maroon

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 4:30 pm
I’ve burned food
Dropped food
Accidentally didn’t plug in crockpot, so Shabbat morning all the food was raw.
You name it, it’s happened
The best was when I thought I burned something and my SIL told me it was good, just like his mom’s, and I thought it was burned.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 4:47 pm
mommyla wrote:
I'm always curious about how this happens. Does she keep salt in a container like sugar? I scoop out sugar and pour salt, so measuring them out are different experiences.

I have a friend who lost the top part of her rubber spatula while mixing cake batter and couldn't find it, she figured it must have gotten thrown out. While serving a piece of cake to her soon-to-be-husband, she found it baked in!

My mother uses kosher salt in everything , it has bigger granules than table salt. She buys the large box of it and stores it in plastic containers , the same as her sugar container etc. So it's not a surprise she mixed it up.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 5:04 pm
My friend once took out a pan of potato kugel from the freezer, put it in the oven to warm up. Half hour later something smelled funny, she uncovered it and realized that she 'baked' a pan of homemade sherbet!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 5:08 pm
I once took out a pan of baked ziti to heat up
When I took it out to serve it was hot raw chicken!
Mixed up the covered baking pans 🤔
Then had to figure out if my oven and raw chicken became trief

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 5:15 pm
Earlier this week, I preheated my milchig oven, put together my cheesecakes and milchog casseroles, and loaded up the oven and set a timer. When the timer went off later, I opeened the milchig oven and found it empty. I had put everything in my fleishig oven, and there they sat, thankfully cold.

Also, when I was a teenager, I ince left apot of carrots on he stive for so long they glowed.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 5:18 pm
When we were newly married I made chili for dinner and instead of using one chipotle pepper I used the whole can. I thought I would die it was so spicy. Husband ate it all and he does not love spicy food himself.

kenz

Post Thu, May 10 2018, 9:14 pm
jjudithc wrote:

How much flour do you use? My recipe takes 7 tsp of salt and is delicious, not salty at all.

And speaking of flour, my biggest kitchen flop would definitely be the time I completely left out the flour from cake batter and couldn't figure out why it just wouldn't bake. It ended up being a pretty good hot fudge sauce.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics